Best prime lens for Sony A6000?

Best prime lens for Sony A6000?

I friend of mine just gave me the Sony A6000 w/16-50mm kit lens.

I don't like kit lenses and would like a reasonably priced very sharp fast prime lens. Anywhere from 15mm-24mm would be great.

I saw some nice images on Flickr with the 19mm Sigma Art lens. Anyone use this?

This will just be my 'purse camera' seeing I shoot full frame for most things.

Suggestions?

L

It's too pricey for my slim wallet, but the Sony/Zeiss 24mm f/1.8 is supposed to be the best prime lens available for the a6000 and NEX cameras.

Remember that the Sigma lenses, as good as they might be, aren't compatible with the a6000's hybrid AF system. Here is a list of lenses that are compatible.

Lucky you to have such generous friends.

P.S. The Sony E35mm and E50mm f/1.8 primes also get very good reviews, and they are much cheaper than the Zeiss.

Ah, a question I can actually answer with authority! John is right: the Sony/Zeiss 24mm f/1.8 is the best lens I've ever own. The view is 36mm and it focuses down to 6.5", so it's a perfect closeup lens when you need one. 

Look at this pic taken with the NEX-7. Put the cursor over the people on the far bank and click and you'll get a 100% view. I shot for almost a year with this lens only, mostly on my NEX-16 until I bought the RX10. Nothing else in the mirrorless Sony line compares with it. 

http://fineartamerica.com/featured/the-pond-ed-rooney.html

The Sony 16mm is soft on the edges. The 30mm macro is okay, but you need to baby it and watch the f/stops. The 50mm f/1.8 is very good (a 75mm view when you need something longer). The Sigma lenses for that Sony system are surprisingly good and very inexpensive. Bill in Maryland near DC has the Sony DT 11-18mm f/4.5-5.6 and likes it, if you feel you need something that wide. Sony was dragging their feet on lenses for the NEX and renamed line for a long while, but they seem to have a lot of glass now. I had  Zeiss Touit 12mm f/2.8 but returned it because it wouldn't stop focus hunting. 

Get the great 24. At just under $1,000 I guess we can't use the word "inexpensive."

Ah, a question I can actually answer with authority! John is right: the Sony/Zeiss 24mm f/1.8 is the best lens I've ever own. The view is 36mm and it focuses down to 6.5", so it's a perfect closeup lens when you need one. 

Look at this pic taken with the NEX-7. Put the cursor over the people on the far bank and click and you'll get a 100% view. I shot for almost a year with this lens only, mostly on my NEX-16 until I bought the RX10. Nothing else in the mirrorless Sony line compares with it. 

http://fineartamerica.com/featured/the-pond-ed-rooney.html

The Sony 16mm is soft on the edges. The 30mm macro is okay, but you need to baby it and watch the f/stops. The 50mm f/1.8 is very good (a 75mm view when you need something longer). The Sigma lenses for that Sony system are surprisingly good and very inexpensive. Bill in Maryland near DC has the Sony DT 11-18mm f/4.5-5.6 and likes it, if you feel you need something that wide. Sony was dragging their feet on lenses for the NEX and renamed line for a long while, but they seem to have a lot of glass now. I had  Zeiss Touit 12mm f/2.8 but returned it because it wouldn't stop focus hunting. 

Get the great 24. At just under $1,000 I guess we can't use the word "inexpensive."

Love that photo Edo. That part of NYC resembles a part of Chicago. Any idea if that Zeiss lens would work with the Sony A7R?  If I love the A6000,down the line I'd really like the A7R as well.

L

I usually prefer "real world" reviews to highly technical tests. But, FWIW, DxO has ranked available lenses for the NEX-7. This list is a bit out of date, and a couple of the newer lenses (e.g. the Zeiss 16-70) aren't on the list -- primes at top, zooms at bottom of page.

As mentioned, not all these lenses are compatible with the a6000's hybrid AF system, plus not all have image stabilization. For instance, the Zeiss 24mm is compatible with hybrid AF but apparently doesn't have stabilization.

I just received the A6000 today. Not feeling the love for that 16-50mm kit lens.I swear I've had that twice before with other NEX cameras.

I may order that Zeiss 23mm.

How is this camera in low light/high iso?

L

Archived