Has the Live News List that includes August been sent out yet?

There's a monthly Live News List of Events?

Oh, I'm in New York, and you're referring to events in London & area. Enjoyed visiting your portfolio.

- Ann

Is that to any photographer signed up to the news upload and FTP news service? I've just signed up but I've not out shooting recently due to some recent personal problems. Sod's Law, as there have been plenty of interesting protest in Manchester of late. 

At left of each of your posts, under your profile photo, is current number of images in your Alamy port.

So I clicked on the number, a live link, to go to port.

Was immediately drawn to your great political images, Adrian.

- Ann

[Edited to add: I just noticed that Foreign Export already covered this.]

Hi,

Still no August list. What portfolio Ann ?

I have not been on Forum much in past year so not familiar with changes.

Best wishes,

Adrian.

Hi All, 

Many thanks Ann. Nice to get a positive comment. Must admit Alamy Live News Team have been positive about what I have sent in recently. 

I have managed to blag my way in to all the recent events bar The Foyles Grand Opening. I think Press offices can be a bit slow to reply to Alamy. 

Political events/Openings/awards ceremonies tips would be suit or jacket trousers with tie for men, suit or formal wear for women. The royals like 2 Govt forms of Id so I take passport and driver's license. I like to stay unobtrusive, so often kneel in isle, use flash sparingly during speeches, clap where appropriate and try to blend in. 

The Events list for late July and August has come in now. 

Kind regards, 

Adrian. 

That's interesting about what to wear to maximize access to London's top events.

It's not just your subjects I like, but how you capture them so lighting looks natural. I agree about flash - usually don't even bring one, except when shooting in the nearly pitch-black lunar room of our air and space museum.

I wear a nice black jacket and pants when covering indoor private events with political, and similar, figures. For covering outdoor, or indoor public, political events here, it's neutral dark pants/jeans & shirt/jacket/sweatshirt to blend in and not ruin others' shots.

It's been a long process of client work, spec (Live News here, news wire service), freelance assignments... to get on Press Lists to cover some of what I'm particularly interested in.

Hi All,

Many thanks Ann. Nice to get a positive comment. Must admit Alamy Live News Team have been positive about what I have sent in recently.

I have managed to blag my way in to all the recent events bar The Foyles Grand Opening. I think Press offices can be a bit slow to reply to Alamy.

Political events/Openings/awards ceremonies tips would be suit or jacket trousers with tie for men, suit or formal wear for women. The royals like 2 Govt forms of Id so I take passport and driver's license. I like to stay unobtrusive, so often kneel in isle, use flash sparingly during speeches, clap where appropriate and try to blend in.

The Events list for late July and August has come in now.

Kind regards,

Adrian.

Does this list only come out to those and such as those, or can you request it?

Does it come with some sort of unusual accreditation? I've noticed there are a lot of photos going up of a certain large event currently happening in Glasgow, from which commercial photos are not allowed to be made without accreditation, and the accredited photographers are mainly in one area, and certain of them are allowed into a very few other defined spaces, yet several of the photos here aren't from these angles (I'm volunteering there and have caught up with this stuff!). Wondering how that works, as the photo support vols tell me that shouldn't happen.

Hi all and Cryptoprocta, 

You have to apply to take fro Alamy Live news. As to the Games. I guess some photographers are trying to get out of photo pit areas. 

For Hay on Wye I queued 40 mins before an even I had paid for. This meant I could get approx. row 3-5 in the middle. Without flash I snapped away with a 70-200mm. As I love writers I made notes of what they were saying and shot again towards the end. As the rows were 60 people crammed in and I was in the middle no Hay bouncer was going to extract me.

As to the Thatcher Liberty Conference I just made myself useful e.g. I helped frail Lord Lawson down steep steps to get a drink in the Crypt. I handed out name badges as I edited my pictures on the front desk and I chatted to Maurice Saatchi about The Road to Serfdom by Hayek the had given to Paxman. I then managed to get him to stand for a picture. Because I was on the desk being helpful even the former Australian PM John Howard came up and said take one of me an my old mate. he then grabbed the Marquis of Salisbury. I love Aussies. I schmoozed on of George Osborne's team to let me take pictures at the dinner with Osborne giving his speech.

At the Foyles grand opneing with Dame Hilary Mantel, I told the marketing guys to grab her two Man Booker winning novels for her to hold. 

At the Howard League for Penal reform I made sure I spoke to the Princess Royal's bodyguard showed my 2 forms of id and told him I like Princess Anne, which I do. I was told by the Howard League press people she does not pose. As an official photographer snapped away, frankly too close, I kept well back. I think she did pose at one point for me as I had not been too intrusive. 

With Tristram Hunt at the RSA I asked him to pose in grand staircase. He obliged but after I had chatted first. I think it helps as a photographer to be seen clapping. I used flash at start and at end but in middle I used without flash. The idea is to get pictures without being annoying and if possible being helpful so next time I might get easier access. 

Best wishes, 

Adrian. 

For Hay on Wye I queued 40 mins before an even I had paid for. This meant I could get approx. row 3-5 in the middle. Without flash I snapped away with a 70-200mm. As I love writers I made notes of what they were saying and shot again towards the end. As the rows were 60 people crammed in and I was in the middle no Hay bouncer was going to extract me.

At Hay the accredited photographers are strictly limited (and we striclty adhere to) photographing in the first 5 and last 5 minutes only at each presentation....

be careful....you may not get ejected, but you could be making life difficult for the working freelancers.

Code of ethics and all that

km

I understand KM, 

But I am 99% motivated by taking pictures of my literary heroes at Hay: Toni Morrison is a wonder, Ian McEwan brilliant and Sebastian Faulks impressive and Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie a great new talent.  I also like Dame Judi and Richard Eyre. I was interested in Steve Coogan because of the hacking case as much as anything else. I paid for my tickets to each event and queued up with my beloved (not a pun) first editions for writers to sign. I spoke to Morrison and McEwan. One of the greatest things that has ever happened to me was listening to Toni Morrison's talk and speaking to her as she signed my US first of Beloved. You know how football photographers know all the players, managers and every damn detail, well that's me with writers. 

So, to be honest my Hay trip was mostly my obsession with great writers. 

Best wishes, 

Adrian. 

That's one thing....but shooting  from the audience and then putting them on sale under the the AlamyNews brand will potentialy make it difficult for other AlamyNews photographers who have to negotiate accreditation at the festival in the future

km

I understand KM, 

But I am 99% motivated by taking pictures of my literary heroes at Hay: Toni Morrison is a wonder, Ian McEwan brilliant and Sebastian Faulks impressive and Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie a great new talent.  I also like Dame Judi and Richard Eyre. I was interested in Steve Coogan because of the hacking case as much as anything else. I paid for my tickets to each event and queued up with my beloved (not a pun) first editions for writers to sign. I spoke to Morrison and McEwan. One of the greatest things that has ever happened to me was listening to Toni Morrison's talk and speaking to her as she signed my US first of Beloved. You know how football photographers know all the players, managers and every damn detail, well that's me with writers. 

So, to be honest my Hay trip was mostly my obsession with great writers. 

Best wishes, 

Adrian. 

It does indeed sound like you are a super fan.

I shoot premiership & championship football, and yes you try to be able to identify players without numbers/names, the managers, and know which way they run when they celebrate a goal. It is both being a pro and making you more effective at both capturing and captioning images. I'm also a huge Arsenal fan with over 35 years of support. BUT when I'm shooting professionally I'm also acting professionally - I follow the guidelines and restrictions of the club, press officer and stewards and even if I'm at The Emirates I'm concentrating 100% on my job and I'd never interact with the players.

As Keith says it not only puts me, and my agency in a potentially difficult situation, but also every other pro photographer and the agencies they represent there.

Now if I'm there as a fan supporting Arsenal, and without a camera (ground and DataCo rules) then I'm singing with everyone else, and if the chance of a hi-five, or an autograph came up I'd be grabbing it with both arms.

But for me there is a line you don't cross as a pro photographer at football and I get Keith's point completely with respect to it at the Hay Festival as well.

Archived