'description' section of manage images

Do you always put something in this section ? Or does it vary with the subject matter ? And do you think it makes much difference either way ? 

I began by always putting a few lines in there, but have to admit to not bothering these days and wonder if I should.

Geoff

I never bother unless I think the description will help sell the photo after zooming or if I have done some digital altering, I want the buyer to know what exactly was altered.

Jill

If i'm copying information from the internet I usually paste it in the description box and then copy and paste parts from it to ess keys etc.

John

If i'm copying information from the internet I usually paste it in the description box and then copy and paste parts from it to ess keys etc.

John

+1

Allan

In my case, I use Lightroom, and enter a description in the proper field. Whether for Alamy, or for posting to Facebook or Flickr, I use the same image (different sizes, and with or without a watermark). Description is useful for Facebook / Flickr or other locations, and when I upload to Alamy, the same description gets populated in the description tab.

I have no idea of evidence as to whether it will help sell my pictures, but I usually take a comprehensive approach and put as much information in the Description field as may be feasibly useful to a searcher.  I tend to work on the basis that a picture editor may stumble across the picture using a generic search term e.g. 'parish church' and, in the case of one of mine, will be able to see its name and location, date of building along with a brief history and any notable features. I do this in the hope it may add some value to the picture and maybe tip the scale in my direction if competing with a similar image.

If nothing else, I have learned a lot more about the local history of places I've shot than I ever knew in some 50 years before I started shooting stock. 

Caption = Description unless the caption doesn't completely fit.

I usually just copy and paste.  I also fill in the location occasionally.  It looks nicer on the zoom even if it isn't searchable.

I caption my images before uploading. If the caption is too long for Alamy, it will go into the description field automatically. I then leave it there, putting an edited version in the Caption field. It does sometimes if I include dates, architects' names, historical notes etc.

I never add things to the description after uploading

Often I have information about a photo that requires words that I want to be invisible to the search engine. This info goes in the description field.

Hi I am a newbie!  Am I being thick or something!!  I am in Manage Images, but what do I do now? I can select all, but nothing happens. I unloaded my images with keywords etc.... when I first submitted them. I guess from reading below they will automatically display? Help!

Hi I am a newbie!  Am I being thick or something!!  I am in Manage Images, but what do I do now? I can select all, but nothing happens. I unloaded my images with keywords etc.... when I first submitted them. I guess from reading below they will automatically display? Help!

I gather from this question that you have not keyworded in Alamy yet. Double click an image and you will be on your way. The keywords you have already done will be in the Comprehensive field. Reread the Alamy instructions on keywording. There is a ton of information in the Alamy instructions and you probably have to spend some time going over them. Hope I have understood your circumstances correctly.

Paulette

Archived