Anyone have the Fuji X-T1?

I am very happy with the sharpness of mine and have had no QC failures but I do struggle a bit to clear the CA.  I need to do a bit of experimenting with and without a filter and maybe some different settings for CA in LR.  It is such a useful focal length I would be loath to part with it.

Pearl

I find that ooc jpegs remove the CA/fringing pretty well. When converting in C1 Pro the default can be a bit aggressive and there is little control so in some situations you end up with a (usually green) colour cast next to where the CA has been removed. That said it is not normally a problem and you have to be looking for it.

I guess in extremis you can always do the raw conversion on the camera. Only done it once when I got the expoure wrong on a news pic ( shoot raw + jpg) which I needed to send from location but it is straightforward and there are some controls esp for exposure and I believe you can choose the film simulation as well.

I am very happy with the sharpness of mine and have had no QC failures but I do struggle a bit to clear the CA.  I need to do a bit of experimenting with and without a filter and maybe some different settings for CA in LR.  It is such a useful focal length I would be loath to part with it.

Pearl

I find that ooc jpegs remove the CA/fringing pretty well. When converting in C1 Pro the default can be a bit aggressive and there is little control so in some situations you end up with a (usually green) colour cast next to where the CA has been removed. That said it is not normally a problem and you have to be looking for it.

I guess in extremis you can always do the raw conversion on the camera. Only done it once when I got the expoure wrong on a news pic ( shoot raw + jpg) which I needed to send from location but it is straightforward and there are some controls esp for exposure and I believe you can choose the film simulation as well.

I am also wondering if the CA tick box in LR is too aggressive so I will see if doing it manually gives a better result.

Pearl

I tick the LR box and it seems to do the job fine with this lens. I actually don't have much to begin with. On an occasional image.

Last CA failure I had was with my nikon, taken over a year ago. A minuscule bit in the upper left corner on a palm frond.

This one had all sorts of places for CA to show up, but didn't.

Sailboat-marina-after-heavy-rains-float-

I decided to go for an X-T1 and it was delivered today with the 18-135 kit lens and the 56 f1.2 and also decided to get the battery pack for uprights. Very pleased so far with the only downside the fact I can't shoot multiple flashes in CH mode so no real use for red carpets. I'll sell one of my D700 bodies but will hang on to the other for these events.

I've been shooting off camera flash using PW Plus II triggers and the results from the 56 are stunning. I've also managed to set up the wi-fi remote controlling the camera from my Android phone.

Main reason for going mirrorless was to get rid of the DSLR weight so I'll probably get another X-T1 body and prime with the proceeds from the Nikon gear.

How have you found the autofocus for red carpet jobs? Others have suggested the Fuji is not quick enough, I have found it marginal in some news circumstances but I found that getting used to a very slightly longer shutter lag was workable for people photography but not sport. I will be interested to see how the fortcoming f2.8 zooms do with their triple drive AF, it should tell us whether it is lens or camera that is limiting AF speed.

I haven't used it on a red carpet yet due to only being able to fire a single flash at a time. It will be ok in summer at the Edinburgh Film Festival as they are all in daylight.

I did a couple of gigs at the weekend and was really pleased with the results. I found the lens was constantly seeking when in AF-C mode, probably confused by the flashing lights. I switched to AF-S and it was superb. Got used in the Mail Online so my first published X-T1 images :D

I did a couple of gigs at the weekend and was really pleased with the results. I found the lens was constantly seeking when in AF-C mode, probably confused by the flashing lights. I switched to AF-S and it was superb. Got used in the Mail Online so my first published X-T1 images :D

Congratulations Alex. 

Allan

I just received the Fuji X-T1 with the 18-55mm kit lens. My first shot is usually one straight from my window. Many of my cameras fail miserably at this seemingly easy task giving me not too sharp images with trees in the distance looking like green fuzzy cotton candy with no definition.

But this Fuji...OMG..razor sharp from end to end.

Operationally,maybe it's my imagination but it seems to focus quicker than my Canon 6D with 24-105mm L lens.

Can't wait until I receive the 10-24mm lens this week.

I'm thinking by the end of the year after I am comfortable with the Fuji in every type of photo situation I'd use it in, to sell all of my DSLR equipment. It's too heavy for me now;I really feel the fatigue in a long shoot and then with that just lose interest in shooting.

If this can do 90% of my photo jobs I'd be fine and just supplement with different areas of photography to make up the jobs I don't have a DSLR to use.

I don't like keeping a lot of gear around.

Anyone ditch their DSLR system for mirrorless?  Regrets?

L

Last year I sold all my Nikon pro gear (D3, D4 and a bunch of glass), and completely bought into Fuji.  I currently use an X-E2 and the X-T1.  I am waiting for the next generation of X-Pro to be released and then I will probably sell my X-T1.  I just like the form factor of the rangefinder body style to be better for me.

Incredible cameras!  I have never regretted my decision.

• 3 weeks later...

I just received the Fuji X-T1 with the 18-55mm kit lens. My first shot is usually one straight from my window. Many of my cameras fail miserably at this seemingly easy task giving me not too sharp images with trees in the distance looking like green fuzzy cotton candy with no definition.

But this Fuji...OMG..razor sharp from end to end.

Operationally,maybe it's my imagination but it seems to focus quicker than my Canon 6D with 24-105mm L lens.

Can't wait until I receive the 10-24mm lens this week.

I'm thinking by the end of the year after I am comfortable with the Fuji in every type of photo situation I'd use it in, to sell all of my DSLR equipment. It's too heavy for me now;I really feel the fatigue in a long shoot and then with that just lose interest in shooting.

If this can do 90% of my photo jobs I'd be fine and just supplement with different areas of photography to make up the jobs I don't have a DSLR to use.

I don't like keeping a lot of gear around.

Anyone ditch their DSLR system for mirrorless?  Regrets?

L

It's great to see all this interest in Fuji.  I love mine.

Archived