Anyone have the Fuji X-T1?

I just received the Fuji X-T1 with the 18-55mm kit lens. My first shot is usually one straight from my window. Many of my cameras fail miserably at this seemingly easy task giving me not too sharp images with trees in the distance looking like green fuzzy cotton candy with no definition.

But this Fuji...OMG..razor sharp from end to end.

Operationally,maybe it's my imagination but it seems to focus quicker than my Canon 6D with 24-105mm L lens.

Can't wait until I receive the 10-24mm lens this week.

I'm thinking by the end of the year after I am comfortable with the Fuji in every type of photo situation I'd use it in, to sell all of my DSLR equipment. It's too heavy for me now;I really feel the fatigue in a long shoot and then with that just lose interest in shooting.

If this can do 90% of my photo jobs I'd be fine and just supplement with different areas of photography to make up the jobs I don't have a DSLR to use.

I don't like keeping a lot of gear around.

Anyone ditch their DSLR system for mirrorless?  Regrets?

L

LOL - I have one.  I'm OK with the 18-55 kit lens but I'm not 100% happy with it in low light.  Try the 35mm prime and either the 18 or 14mm prime and it will blow your mind.  I would like a 56mm prime as well and am patiently waiting for their faster zooms which are due out later this year.  Once the two faster zooms come out, I will more than likely ditch the DSLRs.

p.s. - I've used the 35mm prime (50mm equivalent) for portraits in studio and it's just plain awesome.

Congratulations! 

Linda, are you having any problems figuring out the shooting modes?  If so, check my thread 'First upload with the X-T1" I have a message for you.

I'm not like you, going out shooting events and having to carry my heavy D800.  I use it for my table top jewelry shooting on a tripod, and need those Nikon megapixels for heavy cropping.  And when shooting birds, it is either on a monopod as I sit on my patio, or else on a bean bag in my car window.  I gave up trying to carry it around, like you, it wore me out and hurt me.

You'll want the 56mm 1.2.  Lovely, lovely lens.  I'm waiting for the super zoom and also the Zeiss Touit 50mm 1:1 macro. Fuji has a 60mm macro, but it is 1:2.  They say on the Fuji X forum that the 60mm shoots lovely portraits.

Like you, I have the 18-55 and also the 10-24.  So I'll eventually be covered from 10-400mm. 

Betty

I'm still using the X-E1 which in itself made my DSLR kit redundant. The 18-55mm zoom is a highly regarded lens, most users suggesting possibly the best kit zoom ever. I concur. Other than low light, as Ed points out, I'm more than happy to leave this lens permenantly attached.

I have kept the 5D MK2 however. There's just something about the files from this camera. The X-trans sensor is awesome but the colours can, at times, become overpowering. The Canon files produce a more subtle colour.

But as you say - weight !

I've had the Fuji X-E1 and Fuji X-Pro 1 in the past with the 35mm 1.4 lens as well as the 18-55mm kit and 55-200mm so I know how nice the prime lenses are.I may skip the 35mm this time for the 23mm 1.4 though and also get the 56mm 1.2.

What I didn't like about previous Fuji's I had was mis-focus issues. I think that is resolved with the X-T1.

I have not used it in low light but had used the Fuji X100 and x100s in low light and the shots were excellent.

Here is one from the X100 that was handheld wide open 1/30 I think at iso 1600:

http://fineartamerica.com/products/downtown-chicago-at-night-state-and-washington-street-linda-matlow-art-print.html

I was at Best Buy today and checked out the Nikon Df.It was HUGE! I think it was at least as big as my Canon 6D. I also checked the Sony A7R. They did not have an A7 and the A7R did not have a lens and no demo display of any of these cameras.No wonder this chain ends up closing stores. This was in the Hancock Building(Chicago) where you'd think they'd have decent stock since it's a huge 2 story store. I would have liked full frame but the trade off is weight.  Don't know if you had a chance to see David Hobby of Strobist.com images with the Fuji X-T1 and the 10-24mm lens. He was hand holding at 1/8 wide open and the shots look great. Straight OOC jpegs too. That lens is OIS (stabilized) Look up D Hobby on Flickr.

Betty you are lucky you snagged the 56mm...out of stock everywhere now!

L

I had the 56mm ordered at B&H forever.  Canceled my order for the whole kit with them and got the camera and 10-24 from Berger Bros., but they didn't have the 56mm.

I checked Amazon shortly after, and they had 19 of them just in and I grabbed one and had it in less than 2 days.  I did post on the Fuji forum that Amazon had them, so I expect a few might have ordered from there.  I would keep checking Amazon.  If you have it ordered from someone else, you can cancel if Amazon gets them in. That's what I did.

I'm no stranger to Amazon that's for sure. They've been my #1 go to place for at least 9 years now.

I've only taken 5 photos in low light/avail light but they look good. Not great,but not bad and no worse than my Canon 60D which looks awful after iso 250/320.

L

I prefer my Fujis both X-E1 and X-T1 in low light over my Canon 1Ds3. Like Betty. Once I get the superzoom and maybe the 14mm (have 18-55 and 55-200) and if they focus fast I will be ready to get rid of my Canon kit (otherwise may need to wait until X-T2 ;) ). Might go with the fast zooms again depending on focus speed.

I would like a few more pixels but don't really need them; would give more cropping options.

If the Fuji X-T1 were full frame and say 20mp it would be 'super camera' :-)

L

But bigger and heavier :( So I will live with a mere 16Mpx.

I suspect the Fuji  APS-C range will creep up above 20Mp in due course - probably by Photokina 2016 if it is not flagged at Photokina in September. The X lenses should more than cope.

L

Bought X-E2 + X-T1 and vertical battery grip.

Have XF27, 35, 60 primes and Voigtlander M 12mm, Leica M 21mm with M adaptor.

Also have XF10-24, 18-55, 55-200 zooms.

Just waiting for super zoom to complete outfit.

Sold all my Canon gear and M9.

No regrets.

Allan

L

No regrets.

Allan

Allan, what do you use the 60mm for?  Did you buy it for macro, and if so, does it do a decent job?  Does it focus up close and personal?

L

No regrets.

Allan

Allan, what do you use the 60mm for?  Did you buy it for macro, and if so, does it do a decent job?  Does it focus up close and personal?

I also have the 60 and only use it for studio work. It isn't the fastest lens by any stretch (focusing) but it isn't bad either. It is possibly the sharpest of the lenses to be honest. All my currency shots were taken with the 60mm and at 100% it is clinical. You see all the fine detail on the bank notes. Also good for portraits as well. 

It is a 1:2 so not a full on 1:1. Min focus is about 26cm which is quite close for a 60mm. Even though I have the 56mm, I wouldn't sell the 60, it's to good for studio work and I enjoy the min focus distance..... the 56 is about 75cm.

L

No regrets.

Allan

I also have the 60 and only use it for studio work. It isn't the fastest lens by any stretch (focusing) but it isn't bad either. It is possibly the sharpest of the lenses to be honest. All my currency shots were taken with the 60mm and at 100% it is clinical. You see all the fine detail on the bank notes. Also good for portraits as well. 

It is a 1:2 so not a full on 1:1. Min focus is about 26cm which is quite close for a 60mm. Even though I have the 56mm, I wouldn't sell the 60, it's to good for studio work and I enjoy the min focus distance..... the 56 is about 75cm.

As Duncan has said. Beat me to it young man.

Allan  (old git)

I have had the X-T1 for about a month and really love it even though I only have the 18-55mm at the moment.  Have also had the original x100, X-E1 and still have the X-E2. I wish I hadn't rushed into the latter but didn't know that the X-T1 was in the pipeline.

I intend to invest in more lenses and will gradually get rid of Canon lenses but at the moment I have no plans to ditch the 5D3 altogether.  I use it for table top stuff as I have the excellent macro lens and an extension tube, remote release, flashes etc etc.  Maybe the time will come but not just yet.

Pearl

If the Fuji X-T1 were full frame and say 20mp it would be 'super camera' :-)

L

I agree, but that opinion seems to be the minority. It's the only thing that keeps me hanging on to my 6d!!!

-Jason

It depends what you are shooting! For some things full frame or high megapixel count is overkill. I wouldn't exactly call the Fuji a hot landscape camera  seeing it's APS-C but for just about everything I'd need it for it could be fine.We'll soon find out. I have the Canon 6D coming from the Nikon camp.It's okay but I'm not blown away by it. I was a Nikon user before and ditched them after I had continuous oil on the D600 sensor. Much more I like about Nikon bodies and how they handle files and the other plus was the Nikon flash system but I prefer most of the Canon lenses I've used with the exception of the 24-105mm which is the 2-3x I've owned this lens. I used the Fuji X-Pro 1 quite a few times last year and to date have made 59 sales on various subjects sold directly and thru many agents. Previous year even more with the Olympus OMD EM5(micro 4/3)...  L

I have had the X-T1 for about a month and really love it even though I only have the 18-55mm at the moment.  Have also had the original x100, X-E1 and still have the X-E2. I wish I hadn't rushed into the latter but didn't know that the X-T1 was in the pipeline.

I intend to invest in more lenses and will gradually get rid of Canon lenses but at the moment I have no plans to ditch the 5D3 altogether.  I use it for table top stuff as I have the excellent macro lens and an extension tube, remote release, flashes etc etc.  Maybe the time will come but not just yet.

Pearl

I'm using the Yuongnuo Canon flashes and cable on the Fuji. I just sold my Canon 600RT....Didn't care for that flash.  Today I rec'd the 10-24mm lens and it's very very sharp even wide open.   L

As Duncan has said. Beat me to it young man.

Allan  (old git)

Flippin heck.... long time since someone said that too me..... printing it out as proof for the better half that I'm not past it yet  :D

Duncan (some days feels like an old git)

Pearl

I'm using the Yuongnuo Canon flashes and cable on the Fuji. I just sold my Canon 600RT....Didn't care for that flash.  Today I rec'd the 10-24mm lens and it's very very sharp even wide open.   L

Hummm..... even at 10mm? What's the size like in comparison to other lenses you have?

No I can't, I have the 14mm... must resist ... dammit  :(

I think  the Fuji 10-24mm is  probably about less than an inch each way bigger than the Fuji 18-55mm. The 10-24 takes a 62mm filter as opposed to 58mm of the 18-55mm.

It's not very heavy though heavier than the 18-55 it's a nice balanced weight.

CORRECTED>>>> The Fuji 10-24mm lens takes a 72mm filter.

L

David Hobby,Zack Arias,many others using the Fuji professionally and loving it.

One of my fave photogs as of late who has had a ton of magazine covers and stories written about his photos uses the Oly OMD EM1 and although that is a smaller sensor than APS-C,that camera as well as the EM5 before it takes amazing pictures.

Check his incredible composite work :

https://www.facebook.com/adriansommeling

L

I think  the Fuji 10-24mm is  probably about less than an inch each way bigger than the Fuji 18-55mm. The 10-24 takes a 62mm filter as opposed to 58mm of the 18-55mm.

It's not very heavy though heavier than the 18-55 it's a nice balanced weight.

L

Interesting.... same filter as the 23, 56, 55-200 i believe. Maybe worth while in the future.... trade in the 14mm of course. Time will tell but liking the positive reviews so far!!

I like that Fuji keeps things consistent.  :-)

Off to a food tasting at a restaurant and bringing the Fuji...I don't have the macro but I'll just have to be 11.8 inches away with the 2 lenses I do have.

I'm loving the fact I have the Fuji,2 lenses Yongnuo 560 III,Rogue Flashbender  all packed in my smaller Swiss Zinc bag that probably weights as much put together as my Canon 6D,24-105mm and bracket.

:-)

L

Archived