Canon 5d III outputting jpegs Only

I normally shoot in raw only, but I'm am interested in user experience in outputting jpeg only. It would save a fair deal of post processing. I haven't noticed any significant difference except when shooting at higher ISO's eg above 800 ISO.

Any other experience is welcomed.

Ken

I normally shoot in raw only, but I'm am interested in user experience in outputting jpeg only. It would save a fair deal of post processing. I haven't noticed any significant difference except when shooting at higher ISO's eg above 800 ISO.

Ken

I mentioned on the 'chromatic aberration' thread about using JPEGs direct from the camera.

I've got a Canon 5d mk II and use 60.2mb high quality JPEGs direct from the camera. I also shoot a RAW copy but very seldom use that. I find the images are very good - certainly good enough for Alamy.

1 image fail in over 2000 image submissions using this camera proves this.

John

T'would be a very brave person who only has a jpeg as the source file. If you're only ever going to upload the jpeg to a stock site then go ahead - but what will you do when you need a fat file to enlarge/export/manipulate/print etc. ?

There's always gotta be a RAW or at the very least, a bloomin' big tiff.  

Richard. 

Ken

The problem to me is your limiting yourself for any future developments. The Jpeg may be OK today but when you look at that in 5 years will you still be happy with it.

I have images shot with a D70 and processed through LR1 and very happy with the results at  the time. Whilst I don't replace the originals on Alamy I do reprocess them  in LR4 for current requests and the difference is marked and worth the effort. Not that I find it much effort to process in LR - each image takes 2-4 minutes unless it's abnormal or I have to feed through PS as well.

Each to their own but I'm happier not closing down my options.

Archived