A bit of photographer input to Alamyrank?

Phil Robinson

To help tweak the sometimes disappointing order in which our images come in searches, how about an ability for contributors to mark a certain percentage of their shots as 'favourites', to give them preference in searches?

It could be a quite small percentage, but it would produce more favourable search results, especially where similars are involved.

You might argue that you shouldn't upload any picture you might be disappointed to see pop up, and stick with only the best, but I'm sure we all contribute similars to give buyers more choice, while knowing which one we prefer.

I do think so - yes - but in a very limited way indeed.

To clarify. Say I photograph an ancient standing stone in the Brecon Beacons. I take the shot with best lighting, another with best background and maybe one to show how mossy it is on the leeward side. I know I can cover all this in keywords but there still remain the vast majority of searchers who type in one word (the name of the stone which I forget !). So when my pictures are shown at whatever level AlamyRank puts them against the millions of other Alamy photographers who have photographed it I would like to be able to just tick a box in Manage Images that says "prioritise this one amongst MY pictures".

John Crellin

That's exactly what I mean. You can never know how your images will come up in a search or what selection will turn up for a particular keyword. The 'preferred' one might not be the best for a particular search term, but for batches of images that are basically similars, which will always come up together because they have the same keywords, it would be nice to have some sort of say in the order.

You can alter it to some extent by uploading the 'golden shot' in a later submission - it will then show ahead of the others from the shoot.

You can alter it to some extent by uploading the 'golden shot' in a later submission - it will then show ahead of the others from the shoot.

Interesting ! I would have assumed Alamy used the date taken rather than date uploaded !

John

Ignore this. There's something going on with this that's changed in recent times - I haven't checked out my images in searches much of late. Can't work out why they display as they do - AR changes or individual AR/per image??

May only work with a fairly high ranking, but you can achieve some control over order by dropping words down from esskeys to mainkeys.  You can also go from generic to specific.  E.g. 'footprints, sea, sun, sand ... ' to 'Clacton-on-Sea, resort ...' then drop 'footprints ...' etc down to mainkeys.  

If I could afford to spend more than a couple of hours a week on Alamy this is what I would do - having experimented and found that, if nothing else, it helps images get over the dotted line.

RB

Archived