Surge in textbook sales?

Is anyone else seeing a surge in textbook sales? I've had a string of them this month ($180+ each), which is very encouraging to see. Last month was similar. For once, I'm actually not moaning. B)

I wish!!

Pearl

Got this sale today for 180USD

Usage: Editorial
Media: Textbook - print and e-book
Print run: Unlimited
Placement: Inside
Image Size: 2 page spread
Start: 01 June 2013
End: 01 June 2038
All terms and rights granted as per the Alamy Preferred Vendor Agreement dated 26th January 2010 prevail. Flat rate per image, license period 20 years.

Is anyone else seeing a surge in textbook sales? I've had a string of them this month ($180+ each), which is very encouraging to see. Last month was similar. For once, I'm actually not moaning. B)

I wish!!

Pearl

+1

Haven't seen a surge in anything this month.. 

Perhaps a bit of a (welcome) surge; 9 out of 18 sales over the past two months were descent sums like yours and labeled as textbooks. One over 200, a few a little under 150, but $180 is the usual text book fee.

By their nature there should be peaks and troughs fitting with academic term requirements. Setting the search to a full year, there seem to be a good number of textbook sales scattered through the calendar year.  Bill Brooks is your man, he used to be in educational publishing. My agent in Japan once told me the Japanese educational publishers take a complete year off and don't do any new books every five years (or was it seven?).

Interesting I suppose, but I'm not sure how useful this kind of information would be for planning shoots. But what makes a likely textbook shot? That might be a more useful area for investigation.

But what makes a likely textbook shot? That might be a more useful area for investigation.

All mine have been what I would call the usual 'travel shots'. Chain hotels,  signs in interesting scripts,  sculpture, transport related. Low concept, you could call it.

They're not $180 anymore, either, not for 3 years (one at $196).  Mostly still above average though.

"But what makes a likely textbook shot? That might be a more useful area for investigation",

Read the books.  As you do so, draw up a list of visual ideas.

I do this for an agency whose bread and butter is textbook sales. 

No sales reported, but I did find one of mine in a grade school textbook published January 1, 2014.  I sent the information to Member Services and received this in reply:

Some of our editorial customers report usages to us over a period of time. If you don’t see the sale appear in your account within 3 months then please send us proof of the usage…”

Would a book publisher have a self-reporting deal?  I can understand payment on publication, but I would think it should be reported by Alamy when downloaded.

Jerome Wilson

No sales reported, but I did find one of mine in a grade school textbook published January 1, 2014.  I sent the information to Member Services and received this in reply:

Some of our editorial customers report usages to us over a period of time. If you don’t see the sale appear in your account within 3 months then please send us proof of the usage…”

Would a book publisher have a self-reporting deal?  I can understand payment on publication, but I would think it should be reported by Alamy when downloaded.

Jerome Wilson

They have free access to Alamy library and report sales like students downloading science articles from international article databases.

Archived