cut out the 30 day waiting period

Daniel

at  least  for  those  that  have  quite  a  few  approved.  13  batches  straight  ought  to  count  for  something.  i  can  see  waiting  if  you  don't  pass  QC regularly.

The waiting period penalty is designed to get you to focus on getting your submissions right. 30 days or any other period of time can be used to go out and take

more images, review your key wording e.t.c, e.t.c. In the fail situation you just adjust your workflow and put your energy elsewhere.

I uploaded 50 images yesterday, I am not sitting around waiting for them to pass, I will get on with something else.

Regards

Craig

what i'm saying is that those that have proved themselves are being pentilized the same as those who fail QC more often. shouldn't the proven ones get cut sone slack (so to speak)?

Alamy are looking for every submission to be perfect, not just 13 out of every 14. Perhaps you'll try a little harder next time.

Personally I think those who whinge about it on the forum should be upgraded to 60 days...

Alan

at  least  for  those  that  have  quite  a  few  approved.  13  batches  straight  ought  to  count  for  something.  i  can  see  waiting  if  you  don't  pass  QC regularly.

Try 113.

I agree entirely with the OP. The month (or more) waiting period for those of us with good QC records should be shortened, especially given that the downward trend in image prices  -- plus the fact that we now receive considerably less from Alamy for each sale -- means that we need to keep uploading on a continuous basis in order to simply tread water. Having to wait for such a long time to hear about one or two images failing QC plays complete havoc with our workflows.

How about splitting the "failure" queue into two streams -- a slow one for contributors with chronic failure records, and a quicker one for those of us who have only the occasional slip up? This would be a fair and reasonable compromise IMO.

While we're on this subject, I would also love to see a QC critique service set up where we could re-send failed images (within limits, of course) for detailed explanations of why they weren't accepted. I have to admit that after almost six years of contributing to Alamy (my first two years were 100% failure-free BTW), I am still puzzled by some of QC's decisions.

I hope these comments will be deemed constructive.

-John M

Try 113.

With all due respect, spacecadet, bragging won't help this conversation. The overly long waiting period is a legitimate concern IMO, and one that many of us who also have good QC records (perhaps not as good as yours, admittedly) feel needs to be addressed by Alamy. None of us is perfect, including those intrepid souls at Alamy QC.

Having to wait for such a long time to hear about one or two images failing QC plays complete havoc with our workflows.

But John, if your images are failing QC then you should be changing your workflow anyway.

Alan

Having to wait for such a long time to hear about one or two images failing QC plays complete havoc with our workflows.

But John, if your images are failing QC then you should be changing your workflow anyway.

Alan

I don't consider that a constructive comment. This is supposed to be an area where we offer suggestions to Alamy (as I did above), not offer smug advice. If this particular topic doesn't interest you, perhaps you should respectfully tune out.

Alan

+1 

Apart from upload processing errors my last QC fail was 10 October 2011.     

Changing your workflow is good solid advice and will reduce the "havoc" you are experiencing.

Regards

Craig

Alan

+1 

Changing your workflow is good solid advice and will reduce the "havoc" you are experiencing.

Regards

Craig

Once again, my understanding is that this area is for making constructive suggestions to Alamy, not for bragging or offering unsolicited advice to fellow contributors. There are other areas of the forum designed for these activities. Alamy, please correct me if I am wrong.

I dont think anyone is immune from a QC failure but getting your workflow right sure helps.  I check everything at 100% and if any image looks iffy I dont bother submitting it, that way it saves me time in the long run and the alamy QC checkers time as well as they dont have to spend so much time checking my submissions.

Steve.

Alan

+1 

Regards

Craig

Once again, my understanding is that this area is for making constructive suggestions to Alamy, not for bragging or offering unsolicited advice to fellow contributors. There are other areas of the forum designed for these activities. Alamy, please correct me if I am wrong.

John;  Alamy will simply reinforce their reasons for the penalty as they have done before. Your looking at this from the wrong angle.

it's much better to plan for your images to pass, than risk a fail. The above date is not bragging ,back then I followed the sound advice that

people kindly gave on the forum and it paid off so far.

Alamy please answer the OP and put this post to bed.

Regards

Craig

Alan

+1 

Regards

Craig

John;  Alamy will simply reinforce their reasons for the penalty as they have done before. Your looking at this from the wrong angle.

it's much better to plan for your images to pass, than risk a fail. The above date is not bragging ,back then I followed the sound advice that

people kindly gave on the forum and it paid off so far.

Alamy please answer the OP and put this post to bed.

Regards

Craig

I too plan my images to pass, but QC can be unpredictable at times. I've been contributing to Alamy since 2007, and I have gone as long as two years without a single failure (if I may be allowed some boasting). I posted my suggestions for Alamy (see above) because, like the original poster, I feel that the long wait time is unwarranted, and I hope that Alamy will review this policy in light of the changes that have taken place during the past year -- i.e. smaller payouts to us and lower average prices for images. Both of these are impacting contributors' bottom lines. Hence, streamling the notification process would be the right thing to do IMO.

Once again, I believe that this section of the forums is for making suggestions to Alamy, not for debate among contributors. However, it seems impossible not to get drawn into these types of discussions, which generally go nowhere. I rest my case.

Alan

I don't consider that a constructive comment. This is supposed to be an area where we offer suggestions to Alamy (as I did above), not offer smug advice. If this particular topic doesn't interest you, perhaps you should respectfully tune out.

Fine. If you're happy to produce sub-standard work for a commercial client and then dismiss as 'smug' any suggestion that sub-standard might be improved, then this really isn't the forum for me and I am indeed tuning out. Goodbye.

Alan

Fine. If you're happy to produce sub-standard work for a commercial client and then dismiss as 'smug' any suggestion that sub-standard might be improved, then this really isn't the forum for me and I am indeed tuning out. Goodbye.

I would comment on this, but it really isn't worth the effort. Have one on me at the pub this weekend.

Try 113.

With all due respect, spacecadet, bragging won't help this conversation. The overly long waiting period is a legitimate concern IMO, and one that many of us who also have good QC records (perhaps not as good as yours, admittedly) feel needs to be addressed by Alamy. None of us is perfect, including those intrepid souls at Alamy QC.

Not bragging, just offering a comparison of what may constitute a QC record which doesn't put you in the sin bin for a single fail.

btw I don't use the rep buttons. Even in retaliation. It's pretty easy to tell who's doing it.

The last fail I had came through in 2 days. I don't think there is a standard 30 days for everyone. That was quite a while ago - maybe things have changed since then.

Was it a "partial fail" -- i.e. processing errors only -- or the real thing?

Alamy does say "up to" 28 working days, but I can't remember receiving a "failed QC" notification in less than a month. 

The last fail I had came through in 2 days. I don't think there is a standard 30 days for everyone. That was quite a while ago - maybe things have changed since then.

Alamy does say "up to" 28 working days, but I can't remember receiving a "failed QC" notification in less than a month. 

I had one image fail (CA) out of 55 in that submission which was reported in 2 days, and that was on 25th April 2013.

Previously i've had 1 fail on the 16th May 2007 and over 3300 images in 134 submissions since then have passed OK.

I don't know if my previous good track record helped but I wasn't sinbinned for a month thankfully.

ps not boasting!

John

No, that was a total fail for interpolation artifacts. It was the first for a long time and I haven't had one since so I think the 'up to 28 days' can indeed be flexible.

Thanks for the feedback. Very interesting to hear about the flexible wait times. I made almost 200 submissions before having my first QC failure (I'm definitely boasting). However, I'm obviously not on QC's "A list" any longer. 

Archived