Hi Sheila,

I have been using the RX100 for a while now but have not tried the digital zoom. This is because I did have another camera with that option but was not happy with the results.

Can you let me know what you think of the results you are getting with this model on digitally zoomed images please?

Allan

Hi Allan

It's actually an optical zoom rather than a digital zoom.  Digital zooms are normally rubbish whereas this optical zoom is excellent.  Here is an shot I took on the first day of testing this P&S.  This is Manly Aquarium on normal

150224772.jpg

and the second taken from the same spot, using the optical zoom

150224769.jpg

Not a bad outcome for such a little camera!  

Sheila

The RX100 in addition to its optical zoom has a Clear Image Zoom, and digital zoom function. Both of these only work in JPEG-only mode, so if you shoot RAW or RAW+JPEG, you will not be able to activate them in the menu. If you enable Clear Image Zoom, 2X magnification is achieved by changing the interpolation from raw. This is equivalent to having an 80 megapixel output option in ACR; you get a normal, full sized 20 megapixel JPEG but it is created from 1/4 the number of sensor pixels. Clear Image Zoom works best when you go just a little beyond Optical range, not the full 2X.

You then have a further 2X 'Digital Zoom' which simply blows up the processed JPEG pixels to double size. You also get a 20MP image, but it's really just a 2.5MP raw image enlarged 4X linear, with the benefit of a good ' raw stage' 2X and then a straight bicubic 2X up from this.

Clear Image Zoom is usable, especially if you plan to reduce your files to 2400 x 3600 pixels (Alamy minimum). Shoot Fine JPEG with this enabled, reduce for submission to 24MB+, and you should be OK. I would keep Digital Image zoom off.

The camera's zoom travel makes a distinct pause before you go into Clear Image mode, from optical. This helps you avoid it if you want to. There is no pause between Clear and Digital, if you enable both for the maximum range - the picture just gets worse...

Sheila, I do appologise I misread your post and thought you were trying out the digital zoom.

David, Many thanks for your input. I can see from your reply that I will not be using the Clear or Digital zoom functions as I only shoot in RAW on the RX100.

Yes I know I may be missing something by not using JPEG but for daylight work RAW suits my workflow.  JPEGS may be trialled when I start night shooting.

Allan

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone any experience of getting warranty repairs done by Sony?

The flap over the USB port on my three month old RX100 has shed one of its teeth and now flaps annoyingly in the breeze.

Trivial (temporary fix with Scotch Tape is ugly but OK), but I would like to get  it fixed.

I have e-mailed Sony Support and await a reply.

Any experience/advice would be welcome

As this topic has come to the fore again I would like to ask why David thinks it necessary to reduce the file size to 2400 x 3600. I am uploading my shots from this camera at full file size and not yet had a QC fail.

Sorry Peter I can't answer your question but my thoughts are "is it worth repairing?"

Looking at my RX100 if the door catch was broken I would just remove it if it was an annoyance.

Allan

Allan,

Yes I agree it is trivial, but if you look at the camera as a £400 piece of capital equipment only 3 months old, then it ought to be right!

If I have to post it somewhere and wait 2-3 weeks to get it back, then I will do it.

That is why I would like to hear if anyone has any experience of the service.    There is certainly nothing on the Sony website that gives clear advice as to what to do.

As to your other point about downsizing images, I too have had no failures with images from this camera, but I am still uneasy about the IQ.  I routinely downsize to 4800 x 3200 for pictures in good light and 3600 x 2400 if high ISO.   I haven't had a failure yet and have no wish to start.

I have now uploaded hundreds of images at full size from my RX100 without failure. 

Occasionally, if I have an image that is slightly marginal in IQ - because I have really pushed my luck, a file size reduction can make a difference in many cases.  Otherwise - full size is what gets uploaded.

As an example, last Sunday the weather was superb with deep blue skies.  I took nearly 300 images and not one would be unacceptable for Alamy QC.  The only work I have to do is choose images with best composition etc.  Even more amazing - the camera was left on full auto the whole time.  In between shots it sat in my shirt top pocket leaving me free to drink my beer.  This is one incredible piece of equipment!!!

Full size for most pix. However, 3200 ISO at night, grab shots wide open etc - reduce to 2400 x 3600. I do exactly the same with other cameras. We needed to reduce the Nikon D600 files to 2400 x 3600 nearly every time. The RX100 raws will enlarge to 25 megapixels. I have some on Alamy at that size and you can't tell them from native A99/A900/D600 files. Except the D600 files were so rarely sharp all over we have given up on that and sold the outfit.

Allan,

Yes I agree it is trivial, but if you look at the camera as a £400 piece of capital equipment only 3 months old, then it ought to be right!

Agree with your thinking as a piece of capital equipment then it should be right, even if it is only for a possible sell on at a later date. But for me this camera is so good I won't be selling mine on so have no qualms about my suggested action.

Allan

Full size for most pix. However, 3200 ISO at night, grab shots wide open etc - reduce to 2400 x 3600. I do exactly the same with other cameras. We needed to reduce the Nikon D600 files to 2400 x 3600 nearly every time. The RX100 raws will enlarge to 25 megapixels. I have some on Alamy at that size and you can't tell them from native A99/A900/D600 files. Except the D600 files were so rarely sharp all over we have given up on that and sold the outfit.

Thanks for your reply David. I will bear that in mind when I start night shoots with this camera.

Allan

Allan,

I have ordered a separate battery charger so that the flap can stay taped up and I can download images direct from the card.

I have now got a response from Sony about warranty repair, so I will send it.   Just wondering whether it is OK to send it with the Franiec grip or whether I should take that off.

Why do I read these threads...  as now I want one of these sony RX100 cameras :) ,  I have been thinking about a small camera for some time now for those occasions when smaller might be better, just last week I was traveling around the isle of mull and it would have been very handy for taking discreet food shots in pubs etc where everyone takes notice of a DSLR but no one give you a second look when you are using a point and shoot and as Sheila mentioned it would be useful when I am out on my motorcycles,  as it always makes me cringe when I put my D700 and lenses in the pannier bags :o ..

I have always been put off by the lack of viewfinder on these types of camera, but from what I am reading it doesn't seem much of a problem...

And after just looking on WEX photographic I see they have them in stock for £499.00 and delivered by Thursday...Just about to push the button and become a RX100 owner..(please dont start any threads praising the Nikon D4 ;)  )

Steve.

Why do I read these threads...  as now I want one of these sony RX100 cameras :) ,  I have been thinking about a small camera for some time now for those occasions when smaller might be better, just last week I was traveling around the isle of mull and it would have been very handy for taking discreet food shots in pubs etc where everyone takes notice of a DSLR but no one give you a second look when you are using a point and shoot and as Sheila mentioned it would be useful when I am out on my motorcycles,  as it always makes me cringe when I put my D700 and lenses in the pannier bags :o ..

I have always been put off by the lack of viewfinder on these types of camera, but from what I am reading it doesn't seem much of a problem...

And after just looking on WEX photographic I see they have them in stock for £499.00 and delivered by Thursday...Just about to push the button and become a RX100 owner..(please dont start any threads praising the Nikon D4 ;)  )

Steve.

Hold the buy button..... Try Jessops, It's £449...(keep the £50 for a couple of spare batteries and a few beers :-).

I picked one up a couple of weeks ago as a mini me for my Fuji x-pro1.... very handy little cameras, so small!

Just another question about the RX100 as I am about to press the button on purchasing one... I was just reading a few reviews on another site when someone mentioned opening raw files can be a problem..the software that I use at the moment is lightroom 3 (sometimes) CS5 and capture NX 2 for my nikon files will any of the software that I have open the sony rx 100 raw files or have I got to get different software..

Thanks, Steve.

Keep an eye out on the Sony Outlet website. They have some there occasionally. I had mine for £390 refurbished and £20 off with a voucher code, so £370 in total. It was a refurb with 12 months warranty. It was absolutely spotless.

Sorry the bit where I put £499.00 was a typo, it was the same price as jessops at £449.00... so there is money left over for a beer or two ..

Steve.

Hold the buy button..... Try Jessops, It's £449...(keep the £50 for a couple of spare batteries and a few beers :-).

I picked one up a couple of weeks ago as a mini me for my Fuji x-pro1.... very handy little cameras, so small!

Keep an eye out on the Sony Outlet website. They have some there occasionally. I had mine for £390 refurbished and £20 off with a voucher code, so £370 in total. It was a refurb with 12 months warranty. It was absolutely spotless.

Cheers for the reply, But I have already pushed the buy button, with me being a bloke and the camera being a new toy.. I really do need it yesterday ;)

Allan,

Just wondering whether it is OK to send it with the Franiec grip or whether I should take that off.

Peter, It may be politic to remove the Franiec grip before sending the camera. It is not an original part so it may be removed by Sony and discarded. Shoudn't be too difficult to re-attatch later.

Sony may even say it is in the way of the repair work and return camera to you in the condition you sent it.

Allan

Allan,

Just wondering whether it is OK to send it with the Franiec grip or whether I should take that off.

Peter, It may be politic to remove the Franiec grip before sending the camera. It is not an original part so it may be removed by Sony and discarded. Shoudn't be too difficult to re-attatch later.

Sony may even say it is in the way of the repair work and return camera to you in the condition you sent it.

Allan

Allan,

Yes that is what I thought too, according to Franiec you can saw it off with dental floss. 

When I send it I will also ask them to check the IQ.   I seem to be alone in not being happy with it.

The blurry edges are worse on the right hand side of the frame than the left so maybe mine is a poor copy..

I have not been able to find anyone who can report actual experience with Sony warranty repairs, this is probably a good sign!

I have gone ahead and sent the camera to them.   I have said that the IQ is unacceptable and the USB cover needs to be fixed.

There is a link on the Sony website that enables you to report the problem.   You have to give details of yourself and the serial number of the camera.

They then e-mail a reference number and tell you where to send it.   For a warranty repair they need a copy of the receipt showing date of purchase.

They provide a freepost address so, apart from packing, there is no cost for postage.

So far so good.....

Well the RX100 turned up today, but i have only had the chance to fire a few frames of indoors, so I am not sure what I think yet...being as the images were inside and high iso I downsized them to 3600 pixels on the long side, and to be honest they are not to bad.

What do all of you guys use for raw conversions, as for my Nikon I either use lightroom 3 or capture NX and neither would open the rx100's raw files, so I downloaded a trial of elements11 and it opens the files fine... the thing is do I purchase elements 11 or will lightroom work if I upgrade to lightroom 4...?

I dont think the camera will ever replace my D700 but it will make a good addition for street photography etc where a big camera can get in the way...I hope it's nice tomorrow as i am itching to try it out in some nice daylight..

Steve.

Using Win 7.  I still can't get Windows Explorer to display thumbnails for the RX100.

I believe it's something to do with a CODEC but haven't a clue where to find the right one or where to load it into.

Any (layman level) suggestions appreciated thanks.

John

Using Win 7.  I still can't get Windows Explorer to display thumbnails for the RX100.

I believe it's something to do with a CODEC but haven't a clue where to find the right one or where to load it into.

Any (layman level) suggestions appreciated thanks.

John

John

You can download the driver from Sony http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=DSCRX100&LOC=3&session_id=c9df33d34d94a02cfc6e7acb876ba372#/howtoTab

As I use ACR to process my RAW files, I had to update my CS6 which, surprisingly, worked!

Sheila

Archived