Time for Alamy to repost their advice re: not responding to spam?

just a thought . . .

dd

Yes maybe a good idea, and place the advice at the top of the forum area,  as I for one only come across the advice at the bottom of the forum after replying on the said post, still I know I am not perfect. :)

What I don't understand is that the spam provides a name, address and telephone number! why doesn't Alamy ring them and tell them to halt and desist? are they saying this advertising is being done without their knowledge?

David

It would be better if forum would be accessible only for those with portfolio... at least 4 images.

Just one more thought...

I disagree. Many posts are from total newbies who have yet to submit and who have questions concerning that first yet-to-be-submitted batch. I'd suggest they are more in need of access to the forum's experience/advice than folk posting about a two-day delay in QC or a 3% drop in views since yesterday.

dd

On second thought I do agree with you, Dusty.

What I don't understand is that the spam provides a name, address and telephone number! why doesn't Alamy ring them and tell them to halt and desist? are they saying this advertising is being done without their knowledge?

David

Thanks David for noticing this.

With risk that A blows my "reputation" below 0, I would dare to conclude that A has a deal with the spammer.

Maybe the creation of a spam button could help.

If a large number of clicks on this button occurred (imagine 15 clicks, or if 75% of those who opened the discussion clicked the spam button and those clicks got to 10/15/20), the discussion started by that spammer would be hidden until reviewed by Alamy. If the spam message was written in a legitimate post than only that message would be hidden until review by Alamy.

I'm not a fan of "popular justice" but this could help.

In the eventuality that the spam button was hit by a large number of members as a reaction for an unpopular but legitimate post those members could suffer some kind of warning. After a certain number of warnings they would be see their posting rights suspended for a period of time.

I thought the forum was only open to  registered photographers.

From tha Alamy Blog
"We thought carefully about how we could introduce a stronger community feel to the redesign and move away from the negative aspects seen in the old forum. With this in mind, we've now made it compulsory to be a registered Alamy photographer before you can post."

http://www.alamy.com/Blog/contributor/archive/2013/04/22/5331.aspx

I thought the forum was only open to  registered photographers.

From tha Alamy Blog

"We thought carefully about how we could introduce a stronger community feel to the redesign and move away from the negative aspects seen in the old forum. With this in mind, we've now made it compulsory to be a registered Alamy photographer before you can post."

http://www.alamy.com/Blog/contributor/archive/2013/04/22/5331.aspx

But anyone can register without submitting any images.

Pearl

When it comes to dealing with spam, things can easily get a tad silly . . . we don't need more bloody buttons, we don't need different moderators to identify spam, we don't need mojo dolls, we don't need qualifying numbers of posts/submissions/images/reputations/likes/hearts or Takarakuji tickets.

We just need to ignore it (unless we're in the market for an upgraded kitchen of course)!

dd

I think the reason people do this is to improve their Google rank. These links back to their site all give them points with Google.

Alamy seem to think it's about getting attention, which is why they don't want us replying to their posts. It's Alamy's forum so follow their rules. I have to say it's a bit silly when all the well meaning long term contributers are forced to walk around with their Alamy collections tied to their backs and it turns any Tom, Dick or Harry can sign up and anonymously  post anything they want.

Of course there's just a small chance they really are posting these links simply to wind us up in which case it seems to have worked. :)

I think the reason people do this is to improve their Google rank. These links back to their site all give them points with Google.

Alamy seem to think it's about getting attention, which is why they don't want us replying to their posts. It's Alamy's forum so follow their rules. I have to say it's a bit silly when all the well meaning long term contributers are forced to walk around with their Alamy collections tied to their backs and it turns any Tom, Dick or Harry can sign up and anonymously  post anything they want.

Of course there's just a small chance they really are posting these links simply to wind us up in which case it seems to have worked. :)

The links won't improve their ranking here (not now anyway). Alamy use "No Follow" in their links which prevents the passing of any link juice that will improve ranking.

Before the updated forum, Alamy didn't use "No Follow".

As Dustydingo said, ignore the posts then they will be pushed down the list as we reply to others posts.... after a short time they are at the bottom of the pile  :D

Archived