Unreported sale- "checking with billing dept"

Any experience with an unreported sale where Alamy are 'checking with the billing department'?

It's coming up to 3 weeks now with no news from MS and nagging doesn't help. Obviously a legit sale, no watermark, metadata intact, on a French food blog. Used on the day it was zoomed and now multiplying infringements.

Mark. I had a few exchanges with MS a few months a go but it came to nothing.

I lost the will in the end. Mine also had no watermark and was used by a UK website. I suppose If it looks like a peanut sale they will not chase it.

Regards

Craig

Mark - My experience is that MS are quite good at following up primary usages in for example the Mail-on-line and other journals/papers/magazines etc, but use in blogs is often secondary to use in newspapers etc,, and appears to be much more difficult to chase up. My guess would be I am afraid, that MS will not get anywhere....There is always the alternative of your following it up privately yourself but in this sort of case you may feel its not worth the hassle 

Kumar Sriskandan

I'm pretty sure this was primary use as it appeared on the day of the zoom and nothing else appeared in image search for a couple of weeks. In addition Alamy always say pretty quickly if there's no related download and they didn't say that here.

I don't think it's an infringement- Alamy can usually tell that in my experience. Just wondering if anyone else had experience of this specifically.

Thanks all, it's definitely legit as I now find other Alamy images with metadata on the site. Looks like I'm eventually going to get about half a crown as usual, I was just wondering about the timescale.

I agree that they are good at chasing up primary usages on thier first use, however when a newspaper, for example, re-use an image then it is not so quick. I currently have an image that a newspaper used for a second time and after my initial contact to alamy regarding this over 4 months later no progress. the latest reply from alamy was that "We are still chasing the client but haven’t had a response". This re-use was over a year ago and I sent  screenshots etc. Amazing that someone who gets such great discounts chooses to ignore contact from alamy but continue to get discounts.

Kevin

Mark - My experience is that MS are quite good at following up primary usages in for example the Mail-on-line and other journals/papers/magazines etc, but use in blogs is often secondary to use in newspapers etc,, and appears to be much more difficult to chase up. My guess would be I am afraid, that MS will not get anywhere....There is always the alternative of your following it up privately yourself but in this sort of case you may feel its not worth the hassle 

Kumar Sriskandan

I've had a similar experience since last year.

On 29 December 2012, I emailed MS to ask whether an image of mine had been licensed through Alamy.  The image is on sale only on Alamy.  On 8 January 2013, MS replied that the website with my image on it was "due to be billed soon".  On 14 March I asked for an update on progress and the response on the same day was that MS would "check with the billing team".  Having received no further response from MS on this, I emailed on 25 April to ask again about progress.  So far no response, eight days later.

To be fair to MS, this is the first time for me that they have not resolved billing issues promptly.  If mine is not an isolated case, maybe Alamy can offer an explanation.

Iain Lowson

The last time I sent a "please explain lack of reporting" and, of course, payment to another stock library (not Alamy) for a front cover of a book which was published last September, (some six months before) they found that it was a huge stuff up and decided that I should receive 100% royalty which, of course, is far better than the 30% I would have received had the license been reported. If I had not found it via Google Image Search, I would have been none the wiser and out of pocket by $320. I really do not understand why it is up to the photographer to constantly chase up non-reporting when we have agencies we pay (via commission) to manage our images. But there you go! Sheila

Archived