Spellchecker

Allan Bell

May I suggest a spellchecker be included in the forums. I find myself having to check (cheque) the spelling for certain words from time to time in my Oxford dictionary, not being the brightest with spelling, and a spellchecker here would save some time.

Thanking you in anticipation Alamy.

Allan

Why not use the spell checker that comes with your browser.

In Firefox: right click when you are typing a text and check the Check Spelling box. Choose between your dictionaries with Languages in the same menu. Adding new dictionaries is in that menu too. I use UK-English; US-English and Dutch.

More dictionaries here.

In my IE there is no spell checker, but a quick Google search on IE 8 and spell check reveals a couple of 3rd party add-ons.

There is a spell checker in IE 10, but I don't have IE 10 (yet).

Why do I write spell checker and not spellchecker? Well because my (US) spell checker instructs me to do so. ;-)

wim

:)  Wim, you tripped across one of the madnesses of language.  Another ironic one is that no one can make a solid decision as to which is preferred: copy editor, copy-editor or copyeditor.  (Many of these things are "style," and there is flexibility in style.)  With the help of the Internet everything will soon look like Germany military ranks. 

I guess the spellchecker I've been using is on Safari and not Alamy. 

Allen, I have a spellchecker in the Alamy Forum . . . maybe you just don't have it turned on. Look in the Edit menu. 

Looked????????????

Can't find.

Allan

• 2 weeks later...

Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a quay and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
It's rare lea ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it
I am shore your pleased two no
It's letter perfect awl the weigh
My chequer tolled me sew.

Cheers

Col

What did I do there? If one of the Alamy mods sees the above post can you delete it please. It was supposed to be

The Spell Chequer

It came with my pea sea
It’s rare lea ever wrong.
It’s letter perfect awl the weigh

Col

Sorry everyone, now its a double post. In the first post the poem came out as a whole load of nonsense characters. I wrote the second post and copies the poem from a different source and when I posted it the first one was fine. Time for a tea break methinks.

Cheers

col

Sorry everyone, now its a double post. In the first post the poem came out as a whole load of nonsense characters. I wrote the second post and copies the poem from a different source and when I posted it the first one was fine. Time for a tea break methinks.

Cheers

col

There is another thread somewhere about this weird thing that happens sometimes when we reply to a post. Lots of nonsense shows but then if we go away from the thread and come back the post is fine. LOVE the poem

Paulette

Cheers

col

There is another thread somewhere about this weird thing that happens sometimes when we reply to a post. Lots of nonsense shows but then if we go away from the thread and come back the post is fine. LOVE the poem

Paulette

That thread is here, Paulette.

Word 2010 wants 'Miss steaks' to be a person: Miss Steaks, :lol: but actually partly corrects 'My chequer tolled me sew' as 'My chequer told me sew'.

It came with my pea sea

It's rare lea ever wrong.

It's letter perfect awl the weigh

Cheers

Col

I wish I was as creative with my images as you are with your words.

Allan

Not my words Allan. I remember that someone printed it and pinned it on the noticeboard at work years back. I read this thread and it reminded me of this little poem so I duly found it on the interweb, pinched it and posted it here.

Cheers

Col

Archived