Unless you plan to connect to your Mac while you're away, the very least I would do is disable your network connection as a security precaution - but there are people who think I'm paranoid (does not matter to me).....  I disconnect mine from the power outlet too so a lightning strike can't fry it - happened to me once, so now I'm paranoid about that too...

Regards

Lionel

Unless you plan remote use the least to do is close down any network usage - personally I'd give my Mac a holiday too and switch off and disconnect from mains power - surges and lightning are rare - but why even chance it?  You've nothing to gain and everything to lose......

Have a great time......

iMac? My experience is that every time I've left mine to do sleepytime, it has actually gone on holiday itself and needed a full restart on return. It is much safer to turn off and I even disconnect all the mains connections, transformers (which keep running even when the device is OFF) for HDs, etc.

Just about the only risk you run with any equipment including things like TVs, battery chargers, routers etc is fire. Fire nearly always starts in the power supply/rectifier/transformer if it's not going to actually happen on a motherboard. I disconnect all of these if going away for any period.

I take my laptop, and I synchronise my email, which is the main thing that builds up. When I turn the main machine on, it will show any email I've flagged, and I can delete all the rest. I use iCloud to store writing and other stuff and retrieve that when the main box is fired up again.

David

Yep, definitely shut the whole system down. Surges, lightening - you name them, they'll damage your processor(s) or start a fire.

But even when shut down, I also leave the power plug connected with the mains on. This prevents a run-down of the back-up internal battery that powers the clock (and in theory a re-boot). When the battery runs out, I think they're quite pricy to replace.

At least, that's what I've always been lead to believe  B)

Bon voyage!

Richard. 

I have my computer connected through a backup power source to prevent the computer from shutting down when power is unexpectedly lost. I shut the backup power supply off when I'm away for a period of time.

Yep, definitely shut the whole system down. Surges, lightening - you name them, they'll damage your processor(s) or start a fire.

But even when shut down, I also leave the power plug connected with the mains on. This prevents a run-down of the back-up internal battery that powers the clock (and in theory a re-boot). When the battery runs out, I think they're quite pricy to replace.

At least, that's what I've always been lead to believe  B)

Bon voyage!

Richard. 

The CMOS batteries in all my computers have been non- rechargeable lithium, fiddly but replaceable for a few quid. They last quite a few years.

But agreed, if you leave it plugged in and the CMOS is flat, it won't matter, but all it does is forget the time usually.

Archived