Using the File Info Metadata In Photoshop for Keywording

Jill Morgan

I haven't bothered to use the file info with my photos when uploading to Alamy.  But I figure it would be smart to do this (I know all you pros have been doing it for ages). I assume it would save me a lot of time overall.

How does Alamy break up the keywords for their 3 sections - Essential, main and comprehensive?

If you have too  many for the essential, does it just move the next lot down to main?

I probably sound kinda stupid here, but could use the help.

EDIT:   Okay, I used my brain a little and researched on Alamy.  So description in Photoshop CS6 becomes caption in Alamy, and all the keywords go in the comprehensive section.  Is their no way to make any go in the essential or main, or do you simply cut and paste from the comprehensive?

No workarounds?

There's no such thing as a stupid question, Jill.

When you try to type letters past the 50 characters allowed in Essential, they just don't appear . . . they do not spill over into Main. I believe in a minimum of keywords, so I usually fill Essential and have a few words in Main. I almost never get to Comprehensive. And, very important, your caption is used in the search, so don't be casual with the way you word it. That is, keep irrelative words out of the caption. 

When you try to type letters past the 50 characters allowed in Essential, they just don't appear . . . they do not spill over into Main. I believe in a minimum of keywords, so I usually fill Essential and have a few words in Main. I almost never get to Comprehensive. And, very important, your caption is used in the search, so don't be casual with the way you word it. That is, keep irrelative words out of the caption. 

I hardly ever use Comprehensive, at least so far. Only 71 pics up at the moment. For my CS6 though, Alamy says all the keywords go into the comprehensive. So I would have to cut and paste them into the proper fields.

I figure once my library gets bigger, just for searching for specific photos on my drive will be made easier by using the file info.  Even for my family photos it would be easier, but I don't suppose there is any way to add the info without degrading the jpg on a resave?

Unless it is a news upload, when you have to provide a caption and details, I don't use the metadata in PS. Rather I store the keywords in Lightroom. They all then appear in the comprehensive section in Manage Images.

I'm not sure how useful this is however, as I normally batch edit in Manage Images, and you can't touch the comprehensive section without deleting that which is already there. I guess for a one off it would be useful, but I normally deal with a series of images from a given location and it is more efficient to handle those in the batch editor. I'm sure that the more learned brethren will assist further.

I hardly ever use Comprehensive, at least so far. Only 71 pics up at the moment. For my CS6 though, Alamy says all the keywords go into the comprehensive. So I would have to cut and paste them into the proper fields.

I figure once my library gets bigger, just for searching for specific photos on my drive will be made easier by using the file info.  Even for my family photos it would be easier, but I don't suppose there is any way to add the info without degrading the jpg on a resave?

If you put the info using bridge there's no resave on the jpg, just a tick box on the metadata page.

Archived