Curious mark on sensor

What do think has caused this ring mark .....

sensormark_zps6a50f370.jpg

It's very feint (I've wacked the contrast right up here) and it's at the bottom edge of the image so it's only visible on vertically oriented images where there's plain colour, usually blue sky.  I'm not going to bother trying to clear it as it's the only mark on my sensor at the moment and I'd probably end up making things worse.  I'm just curious as to what may have caused it - it's only appeared recently.

Camera is Nikon D300.

Has the body been damp recently? if so, it might be moisture condensation although I haven't seen a mark so large before. 

I'd take it to someone like Fixation or a similar up in Manchester for a proper sensor clean. 

Richard. 

I don't recall it being damp recently, even here in Manchester.... :)  But I agree, moisture is probably favourite.

It's not worth the bother or expense of getting it cleaned as it's only visible on a fraction of my images and easily removed with a quick dob of the healing brush.

Might be worth checking previous images before doing anything. If it is on more than 1 image then it is probably a moisture stain rather than lens flare. If it is that minor then a clean (professional or not) may introduce something worse.

Sorry just read 'images'

I don't know if this will help but, being the most paranoid on contributors, on seeing something not quite right in an image I used a levels layer to darken the image (by pulling the left triangle to the right) and examined the image at my usual 200%. This showed what I presume to be dust bunnies that are not visible at 100%. To exterminate the little buggers it was necessary to create a layer above the one I was working on, do the levels thing, select the original layer, and use the spot healing brush to paint them out. You can not see them disappear but at least you can see them if this makes sense (I rarely do). On completion delete the top layer and a bunny free image should result. There may be easier ways but I tend to make solutions on the hoof.  

I have changed lenses a few times recently which may have resulted in unwanted matter and a sensor clean may be necessary, although if you don't have an anti aliasing filter this may not be an option.

Archived