Pay me, damn you, pay me...

Hi Nick, Thanks for sharing. Great script. Maybe a bit early in the day for others to have seen your post yet?

This will keep you at the top for now.

Allan

Love this. Tell me, where do I line up to get this kind of exposure?

But we do get something for working for no money: an immediate opportunity to do more work for no money. 

Yes, I figured that one out the hard way. All "exposure" does is expose you as someone who is willing to work for free.

With apologies to those who have seen it - I think this comines humour with a real message and the next person who offers me a credit or an advert gets it both barrels!!

:)

Great. Just sent this link to someone who asked me for a free pic.  :D

Nick, I don't mean to be a downer...all the while, we fund our own shoots (work on speculation) so we can upload those images to stock agencies who pay us enormous amounts of money what we are worth what clients dictate they will pay the agency.  It's a sad state of affairs even if we don't work for free.

Thanks Nick, good one!

I found these that made me smile, how times have changed!

Similar vein. It seems the norm now.

Being able to remember 10x8 trans 30 years ago, there is such a revolution.

Rather happy we are on the back end of it.

Regards

Chris E

Sorry don't know why you get the vid not the link, it's rather cool and instant :-)

Point taken Ed but this, in fairness, applies more to commissioned work than speculative stock work. Sure, it should apply to both but stock is dictated by the market whereas so many 'clients' seeking commission work expect it for zilch/nicht/zippo/nothing/zero/free/credit/exposure............................................(nurse, the screens).

nj

Another popular one that did the rounds some time ago was this amusing interview with Harlan Ellison. Not about photographers directly, but directly transferable! - 

Paul

If you think free is bad, listen to this. I used to do a lot of travel writing for newspapers. One of the main reason I stopped doing this was the rights-grabbing contracts that they started foisting on freelancers. Postmedia, which owns the lion's share of Canada's daily newspapers, has the absolute worst contract of all. Not only do they not pay anything for photos that accompany articles, but they also demand all rights to the images (i.e. they steal the copyright) and then sell them through their archives. All this is non-negotiable. So much for the "free press."

cheap or knock-down-price is one (bad) thing but free-good-for-your-portfolio is something else. This can't just be a Welsh thing, getting clients out here in East Anglia to part with a descent fee isn't easy. But I don't think I can recall anyone seriously or even unseriously asking me to work for free. Or even donate an archive shot. I'm not suggesting some photographers might have a big "sucker" sign hanging around their neck, but they must to some extent be giving off a signal to clients that it could be worth a try.

No, I tell a lie! There was a New York publisher tied up to the Cousteau foundation who wanted an environmental snap of mine. Lots of big name photographers  were going along with the gag or so they said. I declined and they were not happy.

be firm and just about polite

My son is a video student whose goal in life is to be a film editor. He had done a few music videos for a local contest for free and was contacted by them again to do the filming and editing for another contest. 50 bands doing 3 songs each so 150 videos to film and edit. And get this, not only did he want him to do all this for free (and supplying all the equipment) he wanted all the 150 videos completed in 30 days. Again telling my son how good this all would be for his portfolio. My son told him 150 videos edited in 30 days would not be ones he would want in his portfolio anyway, or even have his name attached to. The guy couldn't understand why this was such a big deal.

Archived