Captioning & Keywording Software on a wee netbook?

Adobe Bridge is free and great for working offline. Lightroom is not free and I'm not sure how it works offline, and of course the Alamy Image Manager for online use.  I'm sure other members have experience with different software.  http://www.adobe.com/products/bridge.html

Found the grace period policy here for Creative Cloud apps.  https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/internet-connection-creative-cloud-apps.html

3 hours ago, Celluloid Hero said:

I have a wee Acer One 10 netbook running Windows 10. Does anyone know of any (preferably free) software that would enable me to caption and keyword images on it?

Thanks in advance

Linda xx

Internet Browser + Alamy Image Manager? (FX runs for cover...)

I have an older wee Acer one netbook, and Photo Mechanic works for captioning and keywording. However, I find that I have to restart the netbook in order to close the Photo Mechanic program, which is a bit awkward., You can download a trial version (link below) for free to see how it works on your machine,

http://www.camerabits.com/try-photo-mechanic-for-free/

6 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I have an older wee Acer one netbook, and Photo Mechanic works for captioning and keywording. However, I find that I have to restart the netbook in order to close the Photo Mechanic program, which is a bit awkward., You can download a trial version (link below) for free to see how it works on your machine,

http://www.camerabits.com/try-photo-mechanic-for-free/

Thanks for that. Spooky, I have to restart my netbook each time I link up to a different wifi. I think it has coping issues!

13 hours ago, Celluloid Hero said:

Thanks for that. Spooky, I have to restart my netbook each time I link up to a different wifi. I think it has coping issues!

No problem. Just wondering, did you upgrade your netbook to Windows 10? I'm still running Windows 7 starter, which it came with.

On 16/07/2017 at 17:45, Celluloid Hero said:

I have a wee Acer One 10 netbook running Windows 10. Does anyone know of any (preferably free) software that would enable me to caption and keyword images on it?

Thanks in advance

Linda xx

Hi Linda, try IrfanView, http://www.irfanview.com/

You'll need to download the "allplugins" too, which enables you to batch caption/tag/headline/whatever.

Tony

22 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

No problem. Just wondering, did you upgrade your netbook to Windows 10? I'm still running Windows 7 starter, which it came with.

Hi John - When I get the start screen it gives me 2 options - select Windows 10 button or Microsoft Windows. It also says that W10 will start in a number of seconds if nothing is selected.

3 hours ago, Celluloid Hero said:

Hi John - When I get the start screen it gives me 2 options - select Windows 10 button or Microsoft Windows. It also says that W10 will start in a number of seconds if nothing is selected.

It sounds as if your Acer netbook came with Windows 10 installed. It must be a new one. I bought mine in 2011. I was going to upgrade to Win 10 when it was free, but after hearing some of the download horror stories, I decided against it. I use the netbook only for backing up RAW files when travelling and checking e-mail, so Windows 7 starter still does the job. Interesting to hear that these little computers can handle Win 10.

10 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

It sounds as if your Acer netbook came with Windows 10 installed. It must be a new one. I bought mine in 2011. I was going to upgrade to Win 10 when it was free, but after hearing some of the download horror stories, I decided against it. I use the netbook only for backing up RAW files when travelling and checking e-mail, so Windows 7 starter still does the job. Interesting to hear that these little computers can handle Win 10.

For a while, Microsoft naughtily made the free upgrade to Windows 10 into an "essential update", all those folk who had "automatic updates" selected woke one day to find that, like it or not, they now had Windows 10.
This I know coz my wife's laptop was involved. Took ten minutes of fiddling to find the "revert back to Windows 7" choice, after which we now choose her updates.

Carefully.

After a LOT of angry comments, Microsoft took it out of the "essential updates" list.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, it did come with W10 preinstalled. Not a bad little machine if you don't expect too much from it! I use it to write blog posts/notes etc with Open Office and Windows Live Writer. I like having a keyboard to poke as opposed to a touch screen!

Archived