Sale disappears after 4 1/2 months!

Thanks for the replies. It's a refund! A decent $75 sale refunded after 4 months +. Surely it had been paid for given the amount of time that's passed, reverse image search to be done I think. That was my best sale on Alamy and the only sale this year so a little deflated to say the least.

The sale didn't clear so I guess it was never paid for! Sales shouldn't be reported unless they've been purchased.

Thanks for the positive slant Geoff. Yes Alamy should have a time limit (1 month max).

8 hours ago, steve18 said:

The sale didn't clear so I guess it was never paid for! Sales shouldn't be reported unless they've been purchased.

Thanks for the positive slant Geoff. Yes Alamy should have a time limit (1 month max).

Refunds like this are frustrating. However, stock photography doesn't work like a grocery store. Shoppers can usually walk out with a bag full of images and promise to pay later. If they don't, both Alamy and contributors lose out.

As someone mentioned, "refunded" can actually mean "cancelled". There's often a backstory that we don't know about. If Alamy has given up trying to collect from a buyer, we have to assume that it was for a good reason.

A while ago I had a sale that was refunded after something like three years - it never cleared, and I think several other contributors were caught as well.  If I remember correctly the sale was through a Brazilian distributor which went bust and I believe Alamy spent a lot of time trying to get some money out of them before giving up. So a time limit would be totally impractical - remember, Alamy are losing money as well as contributors, so it's in their interest as well as ours to avoid refunds.

Most agencies wouldn't report the sale until they actually get paid or until they paid you, so with those agencies you would never know there had been a sale in the first place.

28 minutes ago, Vincent Lowe said:

A while ago I had a sale that was refunded after something like three years - it never cleared, and I think several other contributors were caught as well.  If I remember correctly the sale was through a Brazilian distributor which went bust and I believe Alamy spent a lot of time trying to get some money out of them before giving up. So a time limit would be totally impractical - remember, Alamy are losing money as well as contributors, so it's in their interest as well as ours to avoid refunds.

Most agencies wouldn't report the sale until they actually get paid or until they paid you, so with those agencies you would never know there had been a sale in the first place.

I too had a few of those ancient Brazilian distributor refunds that you mention. You're probably right about having a time limit. It could prove counter-productive in the long run.

I had a picture that was sold last November and paid for refunded last month.

Alamy told me it had been bought with a stolen credit card so had to be refunded.

Fair enough. 

Read the posts. This isn't a retail business.

It's Alamy policy to report sales quickly -it's a very popular policy and it won't be changed. The downside is that occasionally you get a refund.

I for one wouldn't find it "more useful" to wait months for a report.

Archived