I lurk a lot, but don't post much. 

Awhile back I would shoot images on my light table to create a very clear white background. This work well with shooting flat objects, sometimes creating a backlit effect. You can get a similar image using a scanner. 

Have any of you used a scanner and submitted images here? How were the results?

What DPI did you use, looks like my scanner can go bigger than 300?

Thanks ahead of time.

Lots of the images on Alamy are scanned from collections of film originals. To a lesser extent some photographers are still playing catch-up while shooting new work on digital gear.

When I was working my way through my archive with a Nikon LS 9000, I scanned the 35mm at 4000 dpi which produced a file of about 54 mgs if I used every scrap of the film frame. After working on the image, it had to be restructured as a TIFF at 300 dpi. 

What maters is what your final image looks like at 100%

He means using a scanner as a camera (no camera involved). I can't think of any reason why you shouldn't submit such images as long as the quality is adequate.

Anything translucent works well if scanned with the slide scanning function. Flowers scanned twice, once with light  from bottom and a second pass with light from the top. You can get a translucent pressed flower on a white background.

Thanks all. Yes, I am going to use the actual scanner as the camera. I see no reason why it wouldn't work. I created some images this way in the past for local stores, but never for stock. 

Man

Archived