I currently have the Fuji 18-135 as my main lens. I also have the 10-24.

My question is would I see a noticeable increase in IQ if I were to upgrade to the 16-55 2.8 and 40-150 2.8 ?

A sizeable investment would be needed to make the leap - is it justifiable purely on quality grounds ?

Geoff S, but not that one

I have all three lenses and, yes, there would be an increase in IQ (at 100%) but whether it would justify the investment on Alamy is doubtful. At the size most Alamy images are used the extra IQ would not really be noticed in most situations. Main problem I have had with the 18-135 is CA but it is correctable in LR or Capture 1 (my choice); my 18-135 images have had no problems with Alamy QC. I now use the 18-135 as my everyday walk around/ social lens. That IQ gain would only happen if your technique is impeccable, as I discovered in a different circumstance when I had got a bit sloppy and was relying in image stabilisation; remember the 16-55mm does not have IS.

The 16-55 and 50-140 would give more creative options especially for differential focus but at the cost of extra weight and bulk.

1 hour ago, geoff s said:

I currently have the Fuji 18-135 as my main lens. I also have the 10-24.

My question is would I see a noticeable increase in IQ if I were to upgrade to the 16-55 2.8 and 40-150 2.8 ?

A sizeable investment would be needed to make the leap - is it justifiable purely on quality grounds ?

Geoff S, but not that one

Why not rent one for a couple of days?

wim

I have the 18-135 and the 50-140.  The former is my stock workhorse. All of the shopfronts in my port were taken with this lens. 

The reason I use this one so much is the 50-140 isn't wide enough for what I'm shooting a lot. I enjoy getting two shots...a wide angle and a zoom from the same few feet of real estate.  LR handles the CA.

What the 50-140 shines at is walking around shooting people doing things.  I have a large set of people on paddleboards, canoes, bikes, etc. I love the nicer separation I get. This lens has a bit of fairy dust. I love it.

While I can't exactly say I love the 18-135, (no fairy dust) it has earned me more money the past two or three years than any other. A true workhorse.

I don't have the 16-55. I would use my 18-55 instead. With OIS.

Betty

Archived