CarCanyon offering Alamy downloads as Royalty Free ?

I've never heard of them. Here's what they say about themselves:

"Car Canyon allows you to search, manage and add Car Picture [sic] to blogs, forums, websites and other online media. We host endless free Creative Commons images from many online sources and the entire system is also available as a WordPress plugin for seamless use within the WordPress platform."

Hmmm... Alamy images are now Creative Commons? Sounds like fake news to me. :o

Here is another site with exactly the same set up as CarCanyon (makes me think it is the same outfit) and they have Alamy images along with Getty and Shutterstock.

http://www.pinsdaddy.com/ty-green_**AjqneU3AR5nSmrGfB2uJ5vbpG3pzLywZ3gANoFs1s/

I contacted Alamy yesterday but we had to give up as trying to screengrab images proved impossible as the poor set up of the site was freezing my 2 browsers so perhaps they will have better luck with CarCanyon.

I couldn't check how many images there were as their search engine does not work but my impression is that there are quite a few.

Regards

Mal

I see they encourage the user to insert an Alamy credit so they're lead to believe they're following copyright rules. I'm seeing this a lot with my own infringements where the picture is often credited to me and either Alamy or Getty. I've let some go as I thought they were legit sales but I'm now suspicious of even the correctly attributed usages.

17 hours ago, John Walker said:

When I clicked on the Free Stock Photos link it took me to Dreamstime. What a mess. 

6 hours ago, Mal Knight said:

Here is another site with exactly the same set up as CarCanyon (makes me think it is the same outfit) and they have Alamy images along with Getty and Shutterstock.

I contacted Alamy yesterday but we had to give up as trying to screengrab images proved impossible as the poor set up of the site was freezing my 2 browsers so perhaps they will have better luck with CarCanyon.

I couldn't check how many images there were as their search engine does not work but my impression is that there are quite a few.

Regards

Mal

I found one of my images here, without too much trouble so there could be more.  I'd love to know what's going on.  

And another thing - I keep finding images of mine of pinterest, put there by people I've never heard of.  How does this work? Can anyone enlighten me?  (What makes this especially annoying is that I can't even look at my own images there unless I "sign up", which I have no intention of doing.)

Chris

8 minutes ago, Chris Mattison said:

I found one of my images here, without too much trouble so there could be more.  I'd love to know what's going on.  

And another thing - I keep finding images of mine of pinterest, put there by people I've never heard of.  How does this work? Can anyone enlighten me?  (What makes this especially annoying is that I can't even look at my own images there unless I "sign up", which I have no intention of doing.)

Chris

They're just stealing the watermarked images from search results and reposting them.

20 hours ago, Inchiquin said:

Sounds like someone who doesn't know the meaning of "royalty free".

Alan

The "free" in "royalty free" has caused a lot of problems. Perhaps putting it there wasn't such a wise idea.

2 hours ago, Chris Mattison said:

Chris

In the past, I found that outing the image to Pinterest got the pic taken down very quickly.

However, it could be that you have sold a file, and the legitimate buyer has put a 'share' link on it, which could be e.g. Fb, Pinterest, Instagram etc. I don't know whether or what Alamy's stance on that is.

2 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

The "free" in "royalty free" has caused a lot of problems. Perhaps putting it there wasn't such a wise idea.

The phrase was coined many years ago when there was no such thing as getting anything for free! And images weren't available online back then so it wouldn't have been easy to get them for free anyway.

Now if only someone had had the foresight to see that it was not a suitable term to carry over into the digital world...

Alan

3 hours ago, Chris Mattison said:

Chris

Search for one of your own images and click through to the preview screen.  You'll find a Share dropdown top right corner for sharing to such as Pinterest and Facebook.  The shared photo is watermarked, small, and links back to the original preview page.  Alamy obviously treat this as legitimate promotion for their brand and a way of increasing sales.. 

1 hour ago, Inchiquin said:

The phrase was coined many years ago when there was no such thing as getting anything for free! And images weren't available online back then so it wouldn't have been easy to get them for free anyway.

Now if only someone had had the foresight to see that it was not a suitable term to carry over into the digital world...

Alan

Yes, it was a foreshadowing of things to come. Perhaps "no royalties" images (or something similar) might have been a better term

I'd have no problem with free images if everything else -- camera gear, food, clothing, shelter, etc. -- were free as well.

1 hour ago, John Richmond said:

Search for one of your own images and click through to the preview screen.  You'll find a Share dropdown top right corner for sharing to such as Pinterest and Facebook.  The shared photo is watermarked, small, and links back to the original preview page.  Alamy obviously treat this as legitimate promotion for their brand and a way of increasing sales.. 

Is that on the Alamy preview screen? If so I can't spot the share dropdown. I'm running Google Chrome on a Mac. 

14 hours ago, John Richmond said:

Thank you, John, for "sharing" this information.  I'm not sure that I'm altogether happy about Alamy allowing people to share my photos - yet another opportunity to lose track of where, when and how the images get used.

On 08/07/2017 at 11:40, Mal Knight said:

Regards

Mal

The similar site to CarCanyon, Pinsdaddy is using more Alamy images than I thought, including quite a few of mine.

http://www.pinsdaddy.com/alamy_KdCyTzq2XacC3GNqM|0Mv14OxsGFyoBTpSjHivpwwyI/

then go to the top of the page on the right hand side and click the down box 'Similar Images' and there a hell of a bunch on Alamy images.

I have taken a few screengrabs of my images and will contact Alamy again on Monday.

Apologies if someone has already done this.

Mal

18 hours ago, John Richmond said:

However, if linked to from a website which has used an image (legitimately or not), there is no backlink to Alamy, just to the original article, which often does not have an Alamy credit.

Archived