Hey from Newcastle!

PhotosBySmerdon

Thought I'd introduce myself after coming back from a long hiatus. I lost my account for a while and now I'm wanting to get back into the Stock Photography scene for a little bit of extra income. 

Could people take a look at my feed? Some of it is old from when I would bulk upload, but recently I've refined it a little more. Less bulk uploading, more picking and choosing. Any feedback is absolutely welcome. Tear my work to shreds if you have to, I want and need to get better.

Thanks! :) 

James.

Hello James,

Just to add my voice and agree with the comments above by Philippe, who should know all there is to know about keywording (tagging) pictures as he runs his own image library, and Geoff, a very experienced photographer.

Your images do not "Pop", too flat, and need to jump off the page when viewed by buyers.

At least you have not fallen into the too many similars trap.:)

Allan

22 hours ago, arterra said:

I let you judge your own work. See below :unsure:  

saltwell-park-in-gateshead-j5pwc8.jpg

Keywords: architecture, beautiful, beautiful colorsbeautiful coloursbeautiful flowers, big, blue, blue sky, bright blue, bright blue sky, bright sky, buildingbuildings, cloud, clouds, clouds in the sky, cloudy, colorcolorfulcolorscolourcolourfulcolourscompositiondepth of fieldflowerflowers, gateshead, large, light blue, monument, newcastle, relic, rule of thirds, seasonalseasonal photographystructurestructures, summer, summer photography, sun, sunny, sunshine, textured clouds, thick clouds, thin clouds, thirds, treetrees

What do you think? Good job? How about describing what you see? Perhaps "South African Boer War memorial"? <_< You don't even do the trouble to find out what's in your picture. 

a-meerkat-looks-towards-an-observer-in-t  the same for your other animal shots: one BIG mess ....!!!!

Keywords: animal, animals, beachbirdbirds, cleethorpes, colourscomparedestination, east, england, furry, green, grimsby, kingdom, love, meercat, meerkat, pierredrockssand,seaseafrontseasidesummersun, travel, uk, united, waves, wildlife, zoo

Don't want to be rude, but do you actually READ what you copied?

Cheers,

Philippe

Photography Prints
 Fine Art Collection Arterra

8 hours ago, GS-Images said:

Hi James.

Well Philippe has touched on the keywording in his own unique way (:D) and I've looked, and yes the keywording is terrible. keywords (tags) are HUGELY important, even more important than the actual image (going by some of the rubbish that some clients buy licenses for). Using irrelevant keywords doesn't help you and you won't get anywhere unless you spend time on EVERY SINGLE IMAGE to keyword it ACCURATELY.

As for your photos, I'll give a few honest opinions on some of them.

This is far too dark. The subject needs to be lit unless it's a particular effect you're looking for. Consider where the sun is for all your photos.

Amalienborg in Copenhagen - Stock Image

Far too dark again, terrible lighting.

Saltwell Park in Gateshead. - Stock Image

Nice composition but again, far too dark and lifeless.

A beautiful view of Lake Windermere in the North West of England, with some of Bowness. - Stock Image

Quite nice. I might add a little saturation and change a few other things, but some of that is personal preference. Keywords are better on that than some others too.

A sunset as seen through a silhouetted tree. - Stock Image

Great capture, focused well and overall great macro shot - But again, it's too dark. Keywords are fine but you should find out what type of fly it is and use the Latin/scientific name for all animals and plants, if at all possible (it can take a lot of research but it will help you sell).

A small fly landed on a beautiful light purple daisy flower, feeding before it takes off again - Stock Image

So overall, I'd say that you know how to take a photo but need to concentrate more on lighting. You also need to ensure you calibrate your monitor, take all your photos in RAW if you don't already, and process them better. Then improve the keywords/tags.

Good luck,

Geoff.

4 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Hello James,

Just to add my voice and agree with the comments above by Philippe, who should know all there is to know about keywording (tagging) pictures as he runs his own image library, and Geoff, a very experienced photographer.

Your images do not "Pop", too flat, and need to jump off the page when viewed by buyers.

At least you have not fallen into the too many similars trap.:)

Allan

Guys thank you so much for all of this feedback. I'll try my best to correct these issues.

When keywording, I was trying to get all 50 tags done. Is it more important to go for quality tags rather than for the number of tags?

Once again thank you so much for the feedback guys! :)

Ahem, keywords Geoff meant. He fell victim to predictive text or whatever. I hate that when it happens to me. More often than I like.

Just a note. Tagging (keywording) is an art we all strive to be as good at as we can be.  The best image in the world will not be found by buyers if it isn't keyworded properly. 

Say you have an image of a bicycle on its kickstand.  In the background, across a field, are several small trees. 

You tag  

bicycle, 10 speed,10 speed bicycle, blue bicycle, (brand of bicycle), transportation, parked, kickstand, bicycle on its kickstand, kick stand, idle, field, outdoors, day, daytime, nobody, horizontal, blue sky, sunshine, (and if there's quite a bit of blue sky) copyspace, copy space 

What you don't tag are the trees. They are incidental, very small. If someone was searching for a tree or trees, they would expect them to be prominent.

Betty

1 hour ago, GS-Images said:

It took me about 10 minutes to find what you were referring to!  :D  I wrote it on my PC so it was more like a severe case of RTM (rushing too much) disease than predictive text.  :)

Geoff.

:D I see you fixed it.

Archived