Alamy gets featured in their Local newsapaper

Assuming the Oxford Mail has got its facts right, this Manything starts to make a little more sense. So, it's a way to put last years so-sad smartphone to work rather than in-the-bin? Ah well, I would definitely be in favour of that and it fits nicely with James West's green direction.

Dont look to me though James. My next smartphone will be my first smartphone! But my son and his girlfriends ( the latter much more so) just can't not have the latest smartest model.  A lesser model is so very uncool. When I pluck my three-year-old flip phone out of my pocket they shy away as if I were some kind of pervert. It's a phone....that's all I ever do with it, and hey, it usually is the one grasps a little reception in our so poorly served East Anglia.

how sad is that?

Yes, I saw this too because Alamy posted about it on Facebook.

What struck me was the turnover compared with the growing  number of images.

I did some simple maths to work out the kind of return an 'average' image gets on Alamy.

I think that information is useful in informing submissions and pseudonym strategies apart from simply being interesting.  ;)

I would hazard a guess its much more likely that the *vast* majority of images on alamy are not getting sales, or will rarely sell again, and the small percentage that does sell is what gives them the turnover.

It would be interesting to know what percentages of images are selling

I guess if this new venture takes off Alamy will be able to monitor us while we are shooting and QC while we process.

Its a brave new world!

dov

Just keep your old phone in your back pocket and then you'll know someone is always watching your back!  :-) 

be very selective, after carefully checking with what is already available on Alamy, about what subjects to shoot.

More top tips, please, Ian. My pen is poised... :D

Take a picture of your poised pen.

A green arrow for that, to get you out of the red...

Further to the above, and given the kind of competition and likely return per image, one reaction would be to be very selective, after carefully checking with what is already available on Alamy, about what subjects to shoot.

It's almost the impossible that we are looking for - a subject which we predict there is likely to be demand but for which we feel we can compete with the existing coverage. And, given the low expected return per image, a subject that can produce a lot of varied images without too much expense, time and effort. 

Possibly, for example, a major urban area which so far has been comparatively over-looked for some reason or another?

another green to get rid of the red this obviously outrageous post attracted.

dd

If so, it would make sense for Alamy to concentrate on the sort of images that create the turnover rather than growing faster than ever. But they don't do that, presumably for very good reasons.

The very good reasons could be that Alamy don't know themselves what images are going to produce good turnover ? :D

If so, it would make sense for Alamy to concentrate on the sort of images that create the turnover rather than growing faster than ever. But they don't do that, presumably for very good reasons.

The very good reasons could be that Alamy don't know themselves what images are going to produce good turnover ? :D

Yes, precisely. That is my point actually.

Given the huge competition and low per image expected return it makes sense to take that into consideration when formulating a shooting strategy.

and wouldn't is be nice for Alamy to pass that info on to us. The big micros have a list of the most popular and best selling images for the week / month / year. It would be really beneficial to everyone if that was available here .

(another green arrow for you too - who is responsible for all these reds? why not just answer with an opposing point of view?)

Archived