While studying AoA Measures, I spotted a search right down my alley. Australian money.

I looked on Alamy what's already there, 2.5k+ for Australian currency.

I do a set up at home with a combination of bank notes, coins, an electricity bill, you get the idea.

I happily keyword the raw file in Bridge. But then... when I try to open it in ACR (PS6), I get the message 'this application does not support the editing of banknotes images". Very clever to have recognized bank notes but I wonder how did others do it then? I got round by editing in Nikon Capture NX2 but....

Gen

I don't want to upset you but I sold such a photo last month (and it has also sold previously).  It looks as though I did all my editing in Lightroom and there wasn't a problem although, as this was in 2009, things may have changed.

The fee last month was a whopping $24 but I guess if you already have the notes in your purse or wallet it's "easy money".  :)

Chris 

The CDS doesn't always work. Try another angle, more notes partly covering each other, put a few coins on top or include something else in the image so it doesn't look as if you are going to commit a crime.

https://hyperallergic.com/195922/what-happens-when-you-try-to-photoshop-money/

PS Your plastic notes may need something to keep them down anyway. Never understood how a bunch of them will stay in the till. :) (I did the great Aussie tours in the end of the 90s. One was 3-4 weeks diagonally across from Perth to Cairns in July. Nearly froze my butt off in a tent in the desert :). Your notes jumped all around me).

I don't want to upset you but I sold such a photo last month (and it has also sold previously).  It looks as though I did all my editing in Lightroom and there wasn't a problem although, as this was in 2009, things may have changed.

The fee last month was a whopping $24 but I guess if you already have the notes in your purse or wallet it's "easy money".  :)

Chris 

Not upset at all, I'm happy for you. It proves that there is demand for it!

Ah Lightroom... I have it, part of CC, but haven't needed to look at it yet. PS6 does everything I need.

Thanks for the reply!

Gen 

The CDS doesn't always work. Try another angle, more notes partly covering each other, put a few coins on top or include something else in the image so it doesn't look as if you are going to commit a crime.

https://hyperallergic.com/195922/what-happens-when-you-try-to-photoshop-money/

PS Your plastic notes may need something to keep them down anyway. Never understood how a bunch of them will stay in the till. :) (I did the great Aussie tours in the end of the 90s. One was 3-4 weeks diagonally across from Perth to Cairns in July. Nearly froze my butt off in a tent in the desert :). Your notes jumped all around me).

Thanks Niels. One of the pix is as you describe. The electricity bill, bank notes overlapping each other with a sprinkling of coins. Which made me realise I have a wonderful 50c coin from Aboriginal and Torres Straights Islander Studies. Beautiful.

I love our plastic notes. 

Re. your trip, I did a 'Big Lap' of Oz in 2015 and had to wait 3 weeks in Alice Springs in winter for a form sent from the UK to renew my UK driving license. I was camping by 0C. The form never arrived and I left before I died of hypothemia....

And just to show you how I hate the cold, this summer we had temperatures in the 40C+. When it dropped down to 23C, I turned on the heating in the house...

Gen

Scanning software often use the EURion constellation to identify bank notes from 50+ countries. If the rings are not in shot you can sometimes get away with it. BUt it seems that image editing software may use a different way of identifying bank notes, see this discussion.

In any case you need permission from the Bank of England to UK reproduce bank notes, at any scale, orientation etc. Edited to add: No doubt it will be much the same for most other countries' notes, permission will be needed from the central bank or note issuer. That said I suspect many, probably most, images that use a bank note as part of a set up image (as described) will not have that permission.

Scanning software often use the EURion constellation to identify bank notes from 50+ countries. If the dots are not in shot you can sometimes get away with it. BUt it seems that image editing software may use a different way of identifying bank notes.

In any case you need permission from the Bank of England to reproduce bank notes, at any scale, orientation etc. That said I suspect many, probably most, that use a bank note as part of a set up image (as described) will not have that permission.

Bank of England for Australian Dollars?

I'm sure there are rules here too for sure. There are quite a few bank notes with property release on Alamy, ha ha.

Gen

Scanning software often use the EURion constellation to identify bank notes from 50+ countries. If the dots are not in shot you can sometimes get away with it. BUt it seems that image editing software may use a different way of identifying bank notes.

In any case you need permission from the Bank of England to reproduce bank notes, at any scale, orientation etc. That said I suspect many, probably most, that use a bank note as part of a set up image (as described) will not have that permission.

I'm sure there are rules here too for sure. There are quite a few bank notes with property release on Alamy, ha ha.

Gen

I agree, I was making the point that bank note issuers have strict rules, often enshrined in law. The Bank of ENgland link was purely an illsutration, I had recently been looking at the rules myself.

Thanks Niels. One of the pix is as you describe. The electricity bill, bank notes overlapping each other with a sprinkling of coins. Which made me realise I have a wonderful 50c coin from Aboriginal and Torres Straights Islander Studies. Beautiful.

Yes, should have thought you had tried different designs and setups, you said that in the original post - sometimes I read too fast  :)

Re. your trip, I did a 'Big Lap' of Oz in 2015 and had to wait 3 weeks in Alice Springs in winter for a form sent from the UK to renew my UK driving license. I was camping by 0C. The form never arrived and I left before I died of hypothemia....

And just to show you how I hate the cold, this summer we had temperatures in the 40C+. When it dropped down to 23C, I turned on the heating in the house...

Too bad you had that ending of the trip.

I remember the so-called spring to be a puddle in the July I was there. It was first after Alice Springs that the weather grew warmer. At Cairns it was hot, but not near your +40C - and I really enjoyed diving at the Barrier Reef (glad to have been there, cannot bear to see and hear what is happening now) - the plastic money was a benefit as it survived a very sweaty money belt and some water. 

I had this recently, and as has been stated it does not pick up certain angles, or parts of banknotes.

However, I did manage to process in LR and export Jpegs from there. Not my preferred way of working as I do like to final checks in Photoshop.

Adobe added this "feature" back in 2004 with either CS or CS2. I believe it was at the request of the US Federal Government to cut down on counterfeiting. Users weren't happy because the software is slower to load.

Perhaps you can use software such as Gimp or an older version of Photoshop which may not have this detection.

https://www.geek.com/news/this-is-why-you-cant-photoshop-money-1619630/

Banknotes picture editing with Lightroom is working flawlessly, also for banknotes with the EURion constellation. In the example below the EURion constellation is hidden in the group of green rings on white background, next to the big 50.

50-swiss-francs-banknote-of-the-new-2016

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and help. I learnt something new. You lot didn't disappoint, as always.

Gen

Always have some older software available. e.g. I still have Photoshop 7 here (even have 3.0 here but that one is so 1994).

I still have various previous versions of Photoshop but be damned if I'm going to un-install and re-install for one pic. 

As I said, I processed it successfully in Nikon Capture, no problems.

Gen

Gen

Bound to be a rule here Gen - there is a rule for everything else you could care to think of

Gen

Bound to be a rule here Gen - there is a rule for everything else you could care to think of

No driving a motorized esky then?  :D

https://www.frasercoastchronicle.com.au/news/drunk-esky-driver-nabbed-by-police/2208842/

A guy just got done for not wearing his seat belt on the boat ramp while taking his boat out of the water...

Archived