Verify to enter dashboard?

Could it be a sign you're logging in too often?

The server then likes to check if you're a machine or a human. Did it involve a captcha or something like that?

Could also be one of the now many servers outside Alamy the pages are logging (or trying to log) in to.

wim

Had to pick out parts of images with car or cars in them.

Allan

I just had the same one when I logged in on my desktop.

Maria

Yes I had yesterday but eventually logged in without captcha, after closing browser and attempting log in again and again. Today it said captcha invalid, so just kept hitting enter and it went through. Wahaaay I have logged in what a triumph, I am so happy :angry: 

Yes, strange. Just tried to amend my address details via the iPad and just would not accept password but straight in on desktop. Same browser, same system.

I have written to Alamy about this but not heard anything back yet, except for auto reply.

Perhaps it may help our cause to have it removed if we all sent individual emails to Alamy?

Allan

Last night I had to get through a double Captcha, but today got straight in as usual. Either it's random, or it learns which addresses give correct answers and can be trusted. I wonder if this was prompted by the recent massive cyber attack: given Alamy's reticence to admit the existence of any problem ever, perhaps they have already been hit and this is a response.

I have written to Alamy about this but not heard anything back yet, except for auto reply.

Perhaps it may help our cause to have it removed if we all sent individual emails to Alamy?

Allan

It's a bank hoiliday weekend so a reply is unlikely before Tuesday. I've only seen this in Safari on my Mac, not on Firefox (yet).

I'm guessing it might be an experimental thing to guard against (long) weekend robots.

I had it this morning for the first time recently but it did happen a few weeks ago and, if my memory serves me correctly, Alamy apologised saying it was a bug and they stopped it.  Hopefully the same will happen again.  There should be a post about it on the forum but I haven't got time to look just now.

Pearl

Allan

It's a bank hoiliday weekend so a reply is unlikely before Tuesday. I've only seen this in Safari on my Mac, not on Firefox (yet).

I'm guessing it might be an experimental thing to guard against (long) weekend robots.

I'm on Safari on Mac too.

Allan

I tried refreshing the dashboard in rapid succession, to simulate a robot, and I have yet to see the captcha.

Do you somewhere on the way see google recaptcha or google captcha flashing by? Either in the adress line of your browser or in a pop-up box?

Google reCaptcha should be invisible. And if Alamy did move to V2 it should work.

wim

If they are using Google's (invisible) reCaptcha, then the strict rules surrounding its use (esp. in the EU) should mean that all users of the site(s) have been made completely aware of its use or they could be in serious trouble, as it means that the API gathers hardware and software info. (and more), which is stored with Google.

The captcha appeared again today after raising my blood pressure yesterday. This time it simply decided to freeze after I apparently selected the right squares with road signs. Would not go away at all. I then refreshed and re-entered my password. That seemed to have shocked the captcha as I got in as in the good old days (before yesterday). Must be a plot to do it on a bank holiday saturday so as to prevent a wave of complaints. I like the comment about GOOGLE and the EU rules about a pre warning. What good does it do if Alamy can just go ahead anyhow after having warned us? As a matter of principle I don't like GOOGLE shadowing me and sending me useless advertisements.

I tried refreshing the dashboard in rapid succession, to simulate a robot, and I have yet to see the captcha.

Do you somewhere on the way see google recaptcha or google captcha flashing by? Either in the adress line of your browser or in a pop-up box?

Google reCaptcha should be invisible. And if Alamy did move to V2 it should work.

wim

If they are using Google's (invisible) reCaptcha, then the strict rules surrounding its use (esp. in the EU) should mean that all users of the site(s) have been made completely aware of its use or they could be in serious trouble, as it means that the API gathers hardware and software info. (and more), which is stored with Google.

Have you looked at the source?

wim

I'm finding that Alamy doesn't recognise either my login name or password. The only way I can access the dashboard is to say that I've forgotten my password and then register a new one. It's not a permanent fix though because I've already had to do it twice. I've also received a captcha error notice when no captcha has been displayed - hard to do much about that one!

I've tried three different browsers with the same results. 

It is mildly irritating, I agree, but it would be interesting to know the rationale behind Alamy's decision to use it. It is perhaps just another level of additional authentication to avoid bots hacking accounts? For me it's akin to going through all the security hassle at airport check-in. I prefer to have to click on a few pictures occasionally, to help verify my human attributes (not many), than have my account compromised. So long as it is not something you have to do at each and every log-in.

This is an interesting development. I don't dabble in microstock much, I probably a hundred or so images on one particular site as an experiment, however when Alamy changed their gallery view I couldn't help but notice that it had a strong similarity (identical?) to that of a huge microstock site that makes use of your cameras "Shutter". This site also makes you choose a number of squares within an image that contain certain objects. Could it be that Alamy have purchased an off the shelf system and are slowly implementing the features that go with it? Or is there a deeper conspiracy? dum - dum - durrrrrr......

I saw a sign-in request on the main page on my iPad. I didn't sign in, but clicked on my dashboard where the last pages I visited were listed. Kind of like browsing history, but at the top of my screen.

When I was through there, I clicked on the forum at the bottom of the page, then when done with the forum, I clicked on the Alamy logo, top left. No sign-in. I performed a few searches, then using my browsing history showing at the top of the screen again, I clicked on my dashboard, then to where I could work on a few legacy images.

I went everywhere I needed to go without needing to sign in.

I suspect this could be done on a desktop using your browser history, which is what's showing on my iPad at the top of my screen.

I never had to jump through any hoops.

Betty

Had a reply to my email about this to CS as below.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Allan,

Yes, this is kosher. We have to turn on Captcha sometimes as a security measure to protect all our contributor and customer accounts.

This has now been turned off but it will be turned on whenever we feel there could be a threat.

Thanks
Corin

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Allan

YES! Even though not always??? On my Mac most of the time and on the PC sometimes... And it is annoying!

I would also really like that Alamy would fix the automatic login. I basically have to login each and every time I want to check, upload... on Alamy's website. On the computer is not that much of a hassle, but on my iPhone it's a pain.

I have plenty more of suggestions that would make our experience as contributors more pleasant, but that will be for another time ;-)

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/27/2017 at 19:56, alphaomega said:

I experienced the torment this afternoon trying to get in to upload some images. I had 15 attempts before I got in an in the process developed high bloodpressure. There is something wrong with this CAPTCHA configuration. Impossible to determine cars or no cars, road signs or no road signs etc. It went on and on and I was beginning to think that eventually I would be declared a robot and denied access. Why are we not warned and why are the images not clear as to what they are and are not? Can a robot actually figure out how to answer if the images are clear and not ambiguous? This is nonsense and belong to the "smart" people coming up with something they can make money on and create more trouble for the rest of us. There is a simple remedy. My bank will only allow three attempts to log in and then shutters down. If alamy has evidence that robots try to get in surely this is based on a bombardment of thousands of passwords. Why don't they simply limit attempts to five tries and then shut down. Then we will have to contact Alamy to have the account opened or something like that. I appeal to Alamy to get rid of this application Monday morning by 10.00 a.m.

See posting here..

Still happening here as well. Safari just won't work with Alamy's application of CAPTCHA. And it is just an Alamy thing, other agencies use CAPTCHA and I can login just fine their but not here. If clients are experiencing the same thing (verify to login to account), they may just go elsewhere.

^^ which is exactly as I said in the "squares" thread 30 minutes ago. In between I popped down to the shop and upon return........

.......... sign in!

30 minutes! 

I have no sign-in grief for my dashboard.  But for the forum, I now have to sign in every time, and go through the silly vetting process.  Usually more than once since it  hangs up very often and I have to start all over.  Higher security for the forum than for my bank!

55 minutes ago, Reimar said:

I have no sign-in grief for my dashboard.  But for the forum, I now have to sign in every time, and go through the silly vetting process.  Usually more than once since it  hangs up very often and I have to start all over.  Higher security for the forum than for my bank!

+1

It's really annoying.

Pearl

• Alamy locked this topic

Archived