Help!!! Lightroom for iPad

Hi everyone.

I'm photographing the launch party of a film festival at 5pm today and I have to send the pics to the news desk by 6.30pm.  I know how to edit and send pics on LR for iPad but I don't have a clue how to add a caption.  Can anyone help me out by pointing me in the right direction please?!

In LR library mode there is a place to add a caption in the right hand column.

Allan

On the iPad?  I know how to add a caption in LR desktop.  Can't see that, Allan.

Allan

On the iPad?  I know how to add a caption in LR desktop.  Can't see that, Allan.

My appologies Sir.  I do not use LR on an iPad but assumed it would be the same as on a desktop Sir. Should have realised you would know how to add captions in LR Sir. :blink:

Allan

Allan

My appologies Sir.  I do not use LR on an iPad but assumed it would be the same as on a desktop Sir. Should have realised you would know how to add captions in LR Sir. :blink:

Allan

I was hoping it would be the same as desktop too.  Why does everything have to be so problematic for me?!  Me and tech simply don't go together lol.  Thanks for your comments.

Allan

Allan

I was hoping it would be the same as desktop too.  Why does everything have to be so problematic for me?!  Me and tech simply don't go together lol.  Thanks for your comments.

It is not just you who things are problematic for. It is all of us at sometime or other. That is why we have this very useful forum. :)

I cannot understand why one program runs on a desktop say and another is needed for an iPad or mobile phone. No I am not a techie either. :wacko:

Allan

Allan

Allan

It is not just you who things are problematic for. It is all of us at sometime or other. That is why we have this very useful forum. :)

I cannot understand why one program runs on a desktop say and another is needed for an iPad or mobile phone. No I am not a techie either. :wacko:

Allan

Completely different operating systems and completely different user interfaces on mobile devices to desktop computers. Different code and UI for the different programs (apps).

This is in fact a major contributor to the problems with the new AIM - it's designed more for mobile devices than computers yet I'm pretty sure the vast majority of contributors use computers for keywording. Two separate UIs would be highly desirable.

Just getting compatibility between the various versions of Win and MacOS is hard enough before you factor in the various mobile devices. Adobe have performed miracles with the desktop versions. I remember what it was like back in day when cross-platform compatibllity was just a dream. Now we take it for granted but not between desktop and mobile devices.

IMO Adobe have got it completely wrong with Lightroom Mobile, perhaps they think that we all walk around in million pound studios shouting orders after reviewing an image.

What should have been included was a platform to operate out in the field

All I need is

1. Renaming of files on import, applying a preset if necessary

2. IPTC

3. Simple editing tools such as: crop, brightness, etc

4. ftp

Bingo, wipes out the need to buy photomechanic!

I've never used LR mobile as I don't need to process images in the field. It does sound a bit nightmarish alright - it seems there are differences between the iPad and iPhone versions from a look at the Adobe online help system - even the help system is confusing because of the regular updates with implementation of new features.

My praise for Adobe in relation to cross-platform compatibility simply related to the desktop programs. I expect they will catch up in due course with the mobile versions but they seem to be trying to be all things to all (wo)men. Aiming at the lowest common denominator didn't work out too well a few years ago when they made a right mess out of LR with one of the updates trying to simplify the interface for newbies and had to backtrack. In my opinion they should leave the simple interface stuff to Apple and the like and focus on the professional market which is their real strength. But I guess they are thinking they have to attract new custom and hence compete in the snapshot market.

Just seen this afte coming back from a 10 day trip to a certain film festival where I filed over 2500 images from an iPad using Lightroom Mobile to edit and picturepro to caption and ftp.

Quick points:

1. LR for iPad does not have captioning.

2. LR for iPhone does have captioning.

3. Be careful with LR mobile and sync you can end up with eating a lot of data and not keeping the original on the iPad. (It's fine if you are using an iPad with mobile data, not ok if you tether your iPad via another mobile device).

4. Picturepro has a few bugs but works ..

5. LR mobile on an iPad Pro is a great platform.

I will be writing a full log soon.

I know what you have done, you haven't logged into your account through the browser, this is the only way of changing the caption. (that's why I dont know of anybody who actually uses lightroom on an ipad for this purpose)

1. Get yourself a cheap 11" laptop and add 'photomechanic' if you can afford it, by far the best app for these kind of situations

2. Shuttersnitch (iphone or ipad) is recommended by some, but you have no ability to edit your pictures within the app

3. PressIPTC for android (same as above, but free)

Filterstorm Nieu & Filterstorm both let you edit and add metadata, captions etc for iPhone, so may be on Ipad, but you'd need to have a play with them to familiarise yourself with them

Sorry Lawrensonphoto my suggestion was meant for the original poster colblimp, as other apps he could use, they work fine on my iphone.

I also found the Lightroom app took up too much memory and seemed too confusing

Archived