Where have all the big editorial sales -- by "big" I mean $200+ -- gone? My last one was in April 2016.

When was your last $200+ editorial sale? Are they now facing possible extinction?

(N.B. I'm referring to direct sales rather than distributor ones. I had a $200+ distributor editorial sale earlier this year, but I'm not counting it.)

You are right that substantial amounts on editorial sales are few and far between now. My last sale at that level was $250 in September 2016, John. 

I don't point a finger at Alamy, however. Things in the stock world are not good. 

Mine was in the dark ages. April 2013, magazine front cover, $500. GEEZ! 4 years ago!

A scattering of $150 and $180 since.

Betty

Edit...it was a nature image requiring no release, does that count?

I had a $330 one this week. The one before was November 16 and prior to that, one in June 16 but it was only for $199.99 so it doesn't qualify  :)

They are very rare indeed. 

My statistics regarding my  gross average prices are showing a sad  story:

2003 = 241

2004 = 136

2005 = 163

2006 = 108

2007 = 126

2008 = 109

2009 = 97

2010 = 103

2011 = 65

2012 = 76

2013 = 77

2014 = 77

2015 = 58

2016 = 44

2017 = 18

:wacko:  :wacko:

Mine was in the dark ages. April 2013, magazine front cover, $500. GEEZ! 4 years ago!

Betty

Of course it counts. That was a really good price for a nature image I would imagine.

I'm still getting occasional sales in the $150 to $180 range, but those $200+ ones, once fairly common, are now rare birds indeed. Falling prices are especially obvious this year, I find.

Betty

Of course it counts. That was a really good price for a nature image I would imagine.

I'm still getting occasional sales in the $150 to $180 range, but those $200+ ones, once fairly common, are now rare birds indeed. Falling prices are especially obvious this year, I find.

My sharp fall in average gross prices is partially due to Personal Use in my case.

138.33 - 4 days ago.

They're still out there. Usually covers, sometimes distributor's however:

4562053976.jpg

275.08 - April 24.

Averages:

2005 - $195
2006 - $179
2007 - $458
2008 - $143
2009 - $73
2010 - $69
2011 - $65
2012 - $54
2013 - $52
2014 - $55
2015 - $59
2016 - $48
2017 - $42

(in the newspaper scheme; novel use etc etc.)

wim

None in last 12 months.  I can't go back further than that as my sales history page just crashes out.

Pearl

Pearl, my sales history crashes out beyond the 12 month mark - but only if I use Firefox. If I use Chrome, I get no issues.

Maybe try another browser?

:)

None in last 12 months.  I can't go back further than that as my sales history page just crashes out.

Pearl

Pearl, my sales history crashes out beyond the 12 month mark - but only if I use Firefox. If I use Chrome, I get no issues.

Thanks.  I use Safari but I could try Chrome.  It is very annoying but sometimes I get there after many tries.

Pearl

Pearl

If I use Chrome, I get no issues. - Not even chromatic aberration? 

My last one, my largest ever by the way (($320 for a travel guide cover) was back in March 2014.

Aah, those were the days, I could even think about investing in new equipment, I don't look these days! :(

The stock industry now has a term called “enterprise clients”. Enterprise clients, who are usually editorial and buy a lot of images, are signed to a special “look to us first” account that includes lower than price calculator pricing in return for their volume business.

This means the average price, industry wide for editorial images, has fallen. Hopefully for photographers the increased volume will make up for the lower price.

Unfortunately, for everyone on the selling side, to not participate in the enterprise system means a complete loss of high volume editorial clients.

Or maybe the picture editors have wised up and now buy them for 'personal use'. 

Maybe not make them any wiser and tell them about the generous return... oops.

wim

Archived