German photographers - VAT tax handling

Even if I have only a small revenue selling licenses, I opted to pay VAT in Germany. The benefit is that any VAT I pay on gear  (19%) gets refunded (good for people with GAS), I charge 7%  on licenses, the net balance of both is often positive for me. When I signed up for Alamy, I didnt see any option in the user account settings to enter a german VAT ID.
Only a british VAT ID starting with GB  + 9 digits may get entered. I checked german requirements at the information desk of our local tax authorities, they told me that I need to add 7 % german VAT on any revenue I make in GB.  I mailed contributor service - they add VAT only to photographers with a britisch VAT id.

Could any german photographer who opted for VAT tell how he handles this ? Would expect same questions for photographers in other EC countries.

Thanks, Andreas

It's much the same for VAT-registered Brits when they deal with EU suppliers.

It will all be academic in the future anyway, now that we've thrown our EU toys out of the pram.

Alan

Thanks for your feedback - I assume that the procedure will be the same here in Germany and the guy at the information desk at the tax authorities does not see cases like this often.

• 2 weeks later...

Payments from Alamy must be declared as a "Zusammenfassende Meldung" in your annual tax declaration. In this form you have to fill in the Alamy VAT_ID: GB .....

The payment itself must be in a seperate field in your tax declaration. Use "Anlage UR zur Umsatzsteuerklaerung". The Alamy amount should be filled into field "721" which is called "Nicht steuerbare sonstige Leistungen....". "Zusammenfassende Meldung" and "Anlage UR.." must have the same amount.

@andyman - thanks a lot, I just have form UR on my desk.

@stockfotoart: this works since +20 years. Surely is any repaid tax an income you need to declare and pay tax for.

Just standard.

@andyman - thanks a lot, I just have form UR on my desk.

@stockfotoart: this works since +20 years. Surely is any repaid tax an income you need to declare and pay tax for.

Just standard.

Archived