Ability to search by category within a contributor's photo set

Pixels On The Rocks

Perhaps this has been posted before, in which case I apologise.

I have just done a search for 'Snail in the rain' and found a stunning photograph.

It was quite unique in it's style, compared to others that appeared in the same search result. Being intrigued, I found the contributors name in the listing and clicked on it, wondering if he might have some more great shots. As many here, he too had thousands of photographs. However, the sheer amount of photographs was simply overwhelming.

What I would have liked was a feature such as being able to filter his photographs by category ... such as 'greens and plants' or 'nature' . Basically the same categories we use when we list our images as contributors. It would be great to search within a contributors set of photos rather than having to go through pages upon pages of photographs of little interest.

I am a new contributor to Alamy I am only slowly getting to grips with navigating my way around it. Therefore perhaps I a missing a trick here, in which case enlighten me please. :)

Clients would probably be just interested in someone's other images for the subject he/she is currently researching.

In your case, you could try an advanced search for the photographer's name and some keywords. Maybe  something like: animal OR plant.

However a lot of contributors do not like to waste precious keyword space on such generic terms. Besides it could harm their rank if their specialized images would turn up in very generic searches, without ever being zoomed or licensed.

Having said all that, we do now have the opportunity to assign 2 categories to an image, and in the future this may well be used in the system somewhere. For now it seems a helpful tool for one (or a team) who curates a category for the front page or the category page.

wim

I don't think the categories are as complete as they should be.  OK, while one could run the risk of having hundreds of categories if not restrained, there are some gaping omissions: fashion, environmental, engineering, society to name but a few.  

The travel category is completely confusing: if I go to Spain and take a set of images there, yes, you could argue they're travel.  But what about a photographer who lives there - he wouldn't consider them as travel.  Similarly, I've got lots of images of tourist attractions etc in my home city, but I struggle to call them travel.  I think a better option would be a category based on country: Location-Europe-UK-Northern Ireland for example.

The problem is now that I've crossed the 7000 mark of re-keywording my images I'd hate the categories to change and I'll have to go back through them all.  (we also need a filter for category if Alamy want us to manage this field effectively!)

I have been frustrated about no "culture" or "ethnic" category for us to choose. I've been putting my Masai people images into "Lifestyle" which seems a bit off. Also putting them in "Travel" of course.

Paulette

I have been frustrated about no "culture" or "ethnic" category for us to choose. I've been putting my Masai people images into "Lifestyle" which seems a bit off. Also putting them in "Travel" of course.

Paulette

They may prefer Lifestyle over Ethnic. ;-)

The same problem as Travel vs Daily Life or Abroad vs Home.

What Would The Client Do?

Or Think?

WWTCD?

WWTCT?

;-)

wim

There's plenty of room for more categories under "News and Reportage." Just to name a few, how about politics, protests, disasters?  And what exactly is news six months after it's happened?

A separate categories for the Environment would also be helpful.

Archived