What defines editorial

I am a bit confused as to what to do about images with recognisable names or logos (eg Newspaper kiosk/Famous Hotel facade) Do I just list as rights managed and let the buyer decide what to do ?

I am a bit confused as to what to do about images with recognisable names or logos (eg Newspaper kiosk/Famous Hotel facade) Do I just list as rights managed and let the buyer decide what to do ?

A piece of good advice: Go through your RF images - you have several that at Alamy should be either RF Editorial or RM with the correct boxes ticked about property (and perhaps tiny people) in the image.

http://www.alamy.com/contributor/how-to-sell-images/understanding-stock-image-licensing/?section=4

I still don't understand what the difference between RM and Editorial is. Surely editorial covers everything. Can you point out (perhaps in a pm) what images you feel I need to correct in my box ticking ?

RM is a license type, Editorial is a usage type.

RM has stricter rights for the buyer, but does not mean editorial.  There are many RM licenses for commercial use as well. RM will usually dictate for what usage the image is for and for how long, and price can vary depending on how wide spread the image will be, say newspaper circulation size, etc.

Commercial usage usually brings in a lot more money, but for those you need releases for models and property.  These generally are images used for advertising and promotion of a specific product.

RF license means the buyer can use the image as many times as he wants for as long as he wants for any purpose that he wants, unless you specifically mark the "editorial only:" box.  Then the buyer can use the image as many times for as long as he wants as long as it is for editorial usage only.

So if you have images in your port of people or property that don't have releases and you have them as RF without the editorial resriction, you are setting yourself up for a lawsuit down the road.

Jill

Getting oral permission is not the same as getting a signed release. I got "permission" from individual stall leasers at a flea market to photograph items in their stall. This only was manners. It gives me no rights to sell the images however I want.

The images I uploaded were RM, no property release. When you state "no release" that automatically means the image will be leased for editorial only. These days, with the new AIM giving an "editorial only " box, Alamy could license them RF if I ticked the RF box and the "editorial only" box.

On the Optional page there are places for # of people, and property questions. I always fill these out "Releases- NO" because it covers my behind.

Betty

My feeling is that you have a RF image with an editorial only restriction, that's going to really restrict your sales, so better to just leave them as RM images.  You have to have signed legal permission to use someone or their property in an advertising photo.  

My feeling is that you have a RF image with an editorial only restriction, that's going to really restrict your sales, so better to just leave them as RM images.  You have to have signed legal permission to use someone or their property in an advertising photo.  

And (for newbies) remember it's not only the owner of a property who has to sign permission, it's probably the creator of the property too. For example, you might get a signature from the owner of a Ferrari, or a bottle of Coke, but Ferrari or Cola haven't given you permission to use their products.

And (for newbies) remember it's not only the owner of a property who has to sign permission, it's probably the creator of the property too. For example, you might get a signature from the owner of a Ferrari, or a bottle of Coke, but Ferrari or Cola haven't given you permission to use their products.

+1 Cypotoprocta.

I think a release can be meaningless with property, and can be meaningless with anyone other than a professional model. I have RF unreleased images with “editorial only” box ticked that sell for commercial use. It is up to the client if they want to take the chance, and many clients do not care. If a client raises the issue, Alamy will send you an email asking your permission to use the RF editorial only image for commercial use. I even once had a owner of the property depicted in the image, request my permission to make a commercial use of a RF editorial only image.

Alamy and other stock libraries say that clients prefer RF, so I believe that RF and RF editorial only is the way to go to maximize return on your portfolio. With the latest Alamy Image Manager and the new RF editorial only check box I converted all my RM images to RF, or “RF editorial only” when a release was required.

I also have my RF editorial only images appearing in the Alamy commercial search. Here is one below found under Alamy commercial search no model releases. This image is most likely to be sold as a RF to an editorial publication, however there are no model releases, so I think the RF “editorial only” tick box for unreleased images is your friend.

multiculturalism-tamil-canadian-politici

Archived