Welcome to the Alamy Contributor Forum. Log-in using your existing Alamy account details. If you're not registered yet then you need to create an Alamy Contributor account to be able to post here. Once registered, you'll be able to choose a forum display name and there will be a link to your images on Alamy within your profile. Please have a read of the rules and announcements before posting. Your first post will be moderated before appearing. Welcome to our photographer community!

Photo
- - - - -

Unexpected sales?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 John Richmond

John Richmond

Forum regular

• Verified
  • PipPip
  • 503 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, UK

Posted A week ago

I just had my third sale from pics of the same mushroom - one was a book cover. And I got to eat the subject matter (and claim it as a taxable expense)

Magic!

#22 Betty LaRue

Betty LaRue

Forum regular

• Verified
  • PipPip
  • 2,664 posts
  • LocationOklahoma, United States

Posted A week ago

A poor shot (I thought) that I very nearly didn't submit - it sold for $423.08 for a book front cover.  It's the only time it's sold and I've never been able to track down the book.

the-blasket-islands-from-brandon-mountai

Edit - I have no idea why the text has turned blue.!

I have one of those. The image was severely underexposed (backlit) and when I corrected it, the colors weren't good, (autumn) but it was of a place I spent the day driving to and was desperate to save it. I did selective noise reduction, uploaded it, but then came close to deleting it.
It sold for a decent price. I was not only surprised, but shocked. To this day I'm not proud of it, but stay, it does.
Betty

an-autumn-view-near-sunset-from-talimena

Edited by Betty LaRue, A week ago.

#23 chris24

chris24

Forum newbie

• Verified
  • Pip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationTamworth Australia

Posted A week ago

australian-census-form-for-9th-august-20Bored with this census form last year decided to photograph it. Sold it last week.  Hit a big chunk of concrete on the road last night so I'm going to photograph the smashed tyre.

#24 Thyrsis

Thyrsis

Forum newbie

• Verified
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted A week ago

Sold this yesterday..........
For PU...........
After a zoom..........

that was unexpected!

Now, I have to agree, THAT's unexpected :D
A PU after it's been zoomed .... that is ;) (zoomed images are only reported by registered customers b.t.w.).

Cheers,
Philippe
Our last sale was a PU that had been recently zoomed....

Edited by Thyrsis, A week ago.

#25 arterra

arterra

Forum regular

• Verified
  • PipPip
  • 3,913 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted A week ago

For PU...........
After a zoom..........

that was unexpected!

A PU after it's been zoomed .... that is ;) (zoomed images are only reported by registered customers b.t.w.).

Cheers,
Philippe

Just curious, but what was the subject? 

PS: personal use is meant for non-professional use by non-professional buyers who don't have to register. You only see the zooms of registered professional buyers. So, when you notice a PU sale got zoomed as well ......... that's rather fishy  :ph34r:

Cheers,

Philippe

Edited by arterra, A week ago.

Arterra Picture LibraryWildeyes

nature, travel and environmental photography

LogoFineArtAmericaBlueShape.jpg

#26 Webby

Webby

Forum newbie

• Verified
  • Pip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationGrantham, UK

Posted A week ago

My email to memberservices is already in! Zoomed and invoiced on the same day. The only zoom of the search term. Not a pretty picture. Too many coincidences.

#27 MariaJ

MariaJ

Forum regular

• Verified
  • PipPip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationVancouver, Canada

Posted A week ago

I hadn't realized that PU buyers didn't have to register with alamy.  I'll have to take a look at my PU sales now.

Maria

#28 funkyworm

funkyworm

Forum regular

• Verified
  • PipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted A week ago

I am sometimes surprised by usages I hadn;t anticipated. A while back I was watching a comedy show on TV when I saw one of my backgrounds behind the stand up comedian whilst he was talking about ebola. I made the design to put on duvet covers on POD's. Similarely some of my best sellers on POD's are images I made with text books in mind. 

#29 vpics

vpics

Forum regular

• Verified
  • PipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted A week ago

I am sometimes surprised by usages I hadn;t anticipated. A while back I was watching a comedy show on TV when I saw one of my backgrounds behind the stand up comedian whilst he was talking about ebola. I made the design to put on duvet covers on POD's. Similarely some of my best sellers on POD's are images I made with text books in mind.

Suitable for isolation wards. ;-)

#30 Joe

Joe

Forum regular

• Verified
  • PipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted A week ago

roadside-shrine-on-faial-island-in-the-a

Sold back in 2008 for $693: Textbook front cover. A drive by shot of a roadside shrine in The Azores in 2007.

#31 Steve UK

Steve UK

Forum newbie

• Verified
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted A week ago

I recall David Kilpatrick advising that you should shoot whatever you buy, something that I normally forget to do until the item is well used and covered in decomposing human tissue, resulting in ages spent cleaning up the image. (Come back David, you are sorely missed).
As for surprising sales, my best one off $ photos generally surprise me. They are rarely those that I personally rate, and I find myself thinking "Why did somebody pay that amount for what is a run of the mill shot?". Not complaining though, it's all part of the game.

David Kilpatrick advice was always interesting and spot on as you say very sorely missed, I haven't looked but has he got a Facebook page

Steve Kelly Norfolk UK

#32 Steve UK

Steve UK

Forum newbie

• Verified
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted A week ago

I heard a radio piece last year about the portrayal of mental health in the media, particularly cliche shots of anonymous figures at a table with head in hands.
I added mental health keyword to a couple of shots of my then teenage daughter anonymous on a stormy winter beach. Now a regular seller.

Steve Kelly Norfolk UK

#33 John Mitchell

John Mitchell

Part of the forum furniture

• Verified
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,291 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted A week ago

I hadn't realized that PU buyers didn't have to register with alamy.  I'll have to take a look at my PU sales now.

Maria

Not long ago, a client licensed two of my images for editorial use and then (apparently) a third one from the same set for PU, so I guess registered clients do sometimes buy images for personal use as well.

John Mitchell

#34 Thyrsis

Thyrsis

Forum newbie

• Verified
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted A week ago

For PU...........
After a zoom..........
that was unexpected!

Cheers,
Philippe

PS: personal use is meant for non-professional use by non-professional buyers who don't have to register. You only see the zooms of registered professional buyers. So, when you notice a PU sale got zoomed as well ......... that's rather fishy  :ph34r:

Cheers,
Philippe

It was an image of the Sheldonian Theatre in Oxford.

#35 arterra

arterra

Forum regular

• Verified
  • PipPip
  • 3,913 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted A week ago

For PU...........
After a zoom..........
that was unexpected!

Cheers,
Philippe

Cheers,
Philippe

It was an image of the Sheldonian Theatre in Oxford.

Thanks. Will most probably be used editorial  :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Philippe

Edited by arterra, A week ago.

#36 Foreign Export

Foreign Export

Forum regular

• Verified
  • PipPip
  • 318 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted A week ago

all my personal use sales this month have been searched and zoomed !

#37 arterra

arterra

Forum regular

• Verified
  • PipPip
  • 3,913 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted A week ago

all my personal use sales this month have been searched and zoomed !

Someone must have found the open backdoor  -_- Perhaps time, Alamy closes it.

Cheers,

Philippe

#38 Marianne

Marianne

Forum regular

• Verified
  • PipPip
  • 496 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 4 days ago

Mine too - they all also show up as sales in measures which means it's a regular client. I need to keep looking online.

#39 Webby

Webby

Forum newbie

• Verified
  • Pip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationGrantham, UK

Posted 3 days ago

Mine was zoomed as a client, then bought by a "guest" logon on the same day. Alamy are looking into it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users