I recall David Kilpatrick advising that you should shoot whatever you buy, something that I normally forget to do until the item is well used and covered in decomposing human tissue, resulting in ages spent cleaning up the image. (Come back David, you are sorely missed).

As for surprising sales, my best one off $ photos generally surprise me. They are rarely those that I personally rate, and I find myself thinking "Why did somebody pay that amount for what is a run of the mill shot?". Not complaining though, it's all part of the game.

David Kilpatrick advice was always interesting and spot on as you say very sorely missed, I haven't looked but has he got a Facebook page

I heard a radio piece last year about the portrayal of mental health in the media, particularly cliche shots of anonymous figures at a table with head in hands.

I added mental health keyword to a couple of shots of my then teenage daughter anonymous on a stormy winter beach. Now a regular seller.

I hadn't realized that PU buyers didn't have to register with alamy.  I'll have to take a look at my PU sales now.

Maria

Not long ago, a client licensed two of my images for editorial use and then (apparently) a third one from the same set for PU, so I guess registered clients do sometimes buy images for personal use as well.

Sold this yesterday..........

For PU...........

After a zoom..........

that was unexpected!

Now, I have to agree, THAT's unexpected :D

A PU after it's been zoomed .... that is ;) (zoomed images are only reported by registered customers b.t.w.).

Cheers,

Philippe

Our last sale was a PU that had been recently zoomed....

Just curious, but what was the subject? 

PS: personal use is meant for non-professional use by non-professional buyers who don't have to register. You only see the zooms of registered professional buyers. So, when you notice a PU sale got zoomed as well ......... that's rather fishy  :ph34r:

Cheers,

Philippe

It was an image of the Sheldonian Theatre in Oxford.

Archived