Welcome to the Alamy Contributor Forum. Log-in using your existing Alamy account details. If you're not registered yet then you need to create an Alamy Contributor account to be able to post here. Once registered, you'll be able to choose a forum display name and there will be a link to your images on Alamy within your profile. Please have a read of the rules and announcements before posting. Your first post will be moderated before appearing. Welcome to our photographer community!

Photo
- - - - -

Monthly Income

money income

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#81 Robert Shantz

Robert Shantz

Forum newbie

• Verified
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationArizona USA

Posted A week ago

Anna,

What you consider to be the background may not be what Alamy or a buyer considers it to be.  If any part of what could be considered the subject is not good and sharp at 100%, then don't upload it no matter how much you like the photo.  Unless you know more about what sells than I do, taking a chance on QC failure just isn't worth being locked out on all the images.  Note that blurred backgrounds are perfectly acceptable, just not soft subjects.  QC gets to decide what the subject is, not us.

Also, and many beginners make this mistake, don't assume that deleting the failed image gets the job done.   QC only checks a sample of the submission, so others in the set may also be soft but not noted.  When you delete only the one(s) that QC noted, and resubmit the other ones, there is a good chance that QC will find another soft one and fail you again.   Always recheck the entire set that was rejected at 100%, and delete anything that is the least bit doubtful.

Most of us have had failures before we learned what would reliably pass, so don't take the first few failures personally.  Just accept that fact that when you are making a normal submission to Alamy, it has to meet their technical QC standards.  Period.  Alamy QC doesn't give you any credit for composition or possible salability. 

Also, go over the sky or any other uniform area several time to look for sensor dust  ( also called dust bunnies ).  They are easy to miss, and QC has real talent when it comes to finding them and failing the image.

Robert

#82 Betty LaRue

Betty LaRue

Forum regular

• Verified
  • PipPip
  • 2,664 posts
  • LocationOklahoma, United States

Posted A week ago

Great advice, Robert, and right on.

#83 Colblimp

Colblimp

Forum regular

• Verified
  • PipPip
  • 308 posts
  • LocationBallydehob, Ireland

Posted A week ago

I find it really strange that I've never had one QC failure. Bizarre!

Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons...

http://www.andygibsonphotography.com/

#84 Betty LaRue

Betty LaRue

Forum regular

• Verified
  • PipPip
  • 2,664 posts

Posted A week ago

Don't get cocky...:D

#85 Colblimp

Colblimp

Forum regular

• Verified
  • PipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted A week ago

I actually wasn't being or getting cocky.

#86 Allan Bell

Allan Bell

Forum regular

• Verified
  • PipPip
  • 3,186 posts
  • LocationCambridge, Cambridgeshire, UK

Posted A week ago

Don't get cocky... :D

The difference being you are a professional sir. ;)

In other words you like many here understand Alamy's requirements and how to achieve them. :)

Allan

A keyword is worth a thousand pictures.

#87 anna182016

anna182016

Forum newbie

• Verified
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted A week ago

great thanks Goodmorning everyone I have Photography course online long time ago I thought that i know photography now very well, but when im reading other photographer advice and comment to my portfolio i decided to continue studying thankyou 

#88 Betty LaRue

Betty LaRue

Forum regular

• Verified
  • PipPip
  • 2,664 posts

Posted A week ago

I was teasing....just my Oklahoma humor!

#89 NYCat

NYCat

Forum regular

• Verified
  • PipPip
  • 1,714 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted A week ago

great thanks Goodmorning everyone I have Photography course online long time ago I thought that i know photography now very well, but when im reading other photographer advice and comment to my portfolio i decided to continue studying thankyou 

Good for you. It can be hard to hear criticism and you are making it work for you. Good luck in your endeavor.

Paulette

#90 Colblimp

Colblimp

Forum regular

• Verified
  • PipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted A week ago

Don't get cocky... :D

I was teasing....just my Oklahoma humor!

Sowweeeeeee. :wub:

#91 MDM

MDM

Forum regular

• Verified
  • PipPip
  • 1,504 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted A week ago

Nobody should ever stop learning - this applies to the most seasoned photographer as well as the beginner. It's all about learning, re-learning, doing new stuff, improving on what you think you know, striving for perfection. When one stops learning, enthusiasm vanishes, stagnation sets in and photography becomes boring. This will be evident in what one produces for oneself or for clients.  There is no destination really, it's all about the journey.

#92 Allan Bell

Allan Bell

Forum regular

• Verified
  • PipPip
  • 3,186 posts
  • LocationCambridge, Cambridgeshire, UK

Posted A week ago

Nobody should ever stop learning - this applies to the most seasoned photographer as well as the beginner. It's all about learning, re-learning, doing new stuff, improving on what you think you know, striving for perfection. When one stops learning, enthusiasm vanishes, stagnation sets in and photography becomes boring. This will be evident in what one produces for oneself or for clients.  There is no destination really, it's all about the journey.

Very philosophical, but true. :)

Allan

A keyword is worth a thousand pictures.

#93 culleyphoto

culleyphoto

Forum newbie

• Verified
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 5 days ago

Yes, it's rough.  You may not make money.  I am naive and new.  Signed a few years ago. Right off the bat, there was negative press about low prices and no money.  I put my efforts elsewhere.  Run Away.......from stock.  Now, adapt some of those salesman numbers.  80% of the sales will come from 20% of the images.  Extended >> 95% of sales will come from 5% of the photos.  I wanna target that 5%.  With the negative, also consider Keith Morris.  Find the article about him topping $350,000 signed with Alamy after losing newspaper job just a few years ago.  He's in coastal small town Wales guy.  I'm in Memphis.  I connected with the head guy at Graceland yesterday.  Didn't make a shot.......but I'm brewing a connection and friendship.  How much research are you doing for your shoots?  If you are employing the technique to shoot everything and maybe something will sell, you should look elsewhere.  If you plan to put the work in on the planning and producing sellable shots then you can plot a future.  Alamy plays the numbers.  They know there will be many that don't make money.......but some will.  

I mean no disrespect and I truly wish you all the best.  We have to make the decision to make it or not.  It will take a major effort.  BTW I'm kinda the technical sort and if I can ever help you, I'd be glad to.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: money, income

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users