If you're on W10 and auto update you should be covered. You can always check that you're up to date if you do a manual update. If should find virtually nothing outstanding.

If you're on W8 you're OK too. W7 has had problems with the update process and may be at risk.

Vista or XP you're really open to the risk.

Russell

There is a downloadable, standalone patch for Windows XP and 2003 server, both of which I eventually found on Microsoft's website. Have a look at this Microsoft blog https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/msrc/2017/05/12/customer-guidance-for-wannacrypt-attacks/.

There are several versions of the patch so you need to choose the right one for your legacy system. However, the patches do recognise if you try to install them on the wrong kind of machine and will halt the installation.  Installing is was simply running the installation package and restart the computer to complete.

I don't know for sure what level of protection the patch provides, whether it simply stops the computer propagating the virus to other network machines or if actually stops the virus installing itself on the computer in question. Best protection, as always, is user awareness, an up-to-date anti-virus program and NOT clicking on any links or attachments in unfamiliar emails. I've seen several dubious emails in my in-box in recent weeks (though I don't know if they contained the wannacry virus - I didn't try to find out :) ). 

If you're on W10 and auto update you should be covered. You can always check that you're up to date if you do a manual update. If should find virtually nothing outstanding.

If you're on W8 you're OK too. W7 has had problems with the update process and may be at risk.

Vista or XP you're really open to the risk.

Russell

There are apparently patches for Vista and XP.

I'm on Windows 7 and auto update.

There is a downloadable, standalone patch for Windows XP and 2003 server, both of which I eventually found on Microsoft's website. Have a look at this Microsoft blog https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/msrc/2017/05/12/customer-guidance-for-wannacrypt-attacks/.

There are several versions of the patch so you need to choose the right one for your legacy system. However, the patches do recognise if you try to install them on the wrong kind of machine and will halt the installation.  Installing is was simply running the installation package and restart the computer to complete.

I don't know for sure what level of protection the patch provides, whether it simply stops the computer propagating the virus to other network machines or if actually stops the virus installing itself on the computer in question. Best protection, as always, is user awareness, an up-to-date anti-virus program and NOT clicking on any links or attachments in unfamiliar emails. I've seen several dubious emails in my in-box in recent weeks (though I don't know if they contained the wannacry virus - I didn't try to find out :) ). 

For sure, if you don't wanna cry, don't click on anything that looks suspicious.

Oddly, there doesn't seem to be a patch specifically for Widows 7.

For sure, if you don't wanna cry, don't click on anything that looks suspicious.

For whatever reason, Microsoft still sends out automatic updates to Windows 7 machines. If updates are turned on Windows 7 machines will have received the relevant security update in March.

Edit to add...Windows 8.1 is also automatically updated (if updates are turned on) though Windows 8 is not and requires a manual update.

There are updates for Windows 7 here on Microsoft's site.

I believe Win 7 would have been patched as part of the standard update process.

Only XP & Win Server 2003 needed the emergency update & if you're still running those you deserve all you get... HM Gov take note :-)

There are updates for Windows 7 here on Microsoft's site.

Thanks. Checked my recent updates, and it looks as if one on that list was included in a recent auto-update.

Do not confuse IOS whit OSX. But both are not affected. 

And do not confuse with with whit :).

:lol:

yes indeed... back to school...

Actually your written English is otherwise pretty perfect.

The latest incarnation is MacOS Sierra which I have on my desktop. OSX were the numbered versions.

Allan

Whit is fine in parts of NYC.

Whit is fine in parts of NYC.

So long as it does not rain. :(

Allan

Archived