Nikon D5300 Image Size for Submission

Shooting Raw 14 bits with Nikon D5300 compressed, I get images that are 1080 x 1620 when I save as jpg with Nikon Capture NX2 which are too small to be submitted to Alamy stock photography: What am I missing as Nikon specs rate D5300 image size up to 6000 x 4000 L?

Andy,

Sounds like something is out of whack in your NX2 workflow. If I were you I would pick it to pieces to double check the steps. When you convert from RAW your pixel size should be the same but i'm guessing maybe you have a setting that's shrinking it at that point.

Do you have access to something else to test it out? If you don't have a creative cloud subscription (adobe) already you could maybe try a trial version of Lightroom to see how it differs.

I should point out that I don't use Capture NX2 (Lightroom / Photoshop CC here), i've found Nikon software to be buggy as hell and their support rather unsympathetic. 

I know that's not much to go on and maybe you've already resolved this yourself but it's a place to start.

Good luck

TobyH

Something in your export settings must be wrong. I used that NX2 software once (I shoot whit a D3300) and was able to export at 6000x4000.

Nowadays I use DxO Optics Pro 9 Elite, has quite a good Lens Correction in it. 

Why do you shoot in a compressed mode?

Nikons have a lossless compressed raw mode so why not as this saves space on the memory card and there is no difference in quality? I am guessing the only difference between lossless compressed and uncompressed besides file size would be in the speed at which the files get written to the card and the number of shots possible before the buffer fills up but I've never tested it.

EDIT: I don't know what the advantage of uncompressed over lossless compressed would be unless it takes the camera a little extra time to perform the compression. I await enlightenment.

Hi, Thanks for commenting.  I also had a similar problem with my D800 and found that menu setting for jpg was Basic, plus copies of View and Capture NX2 were long in tooth and seemed buggy since Nikon long ago discontinued support.  I downloaded fresh copies and reset Image to RAW + Fine and got my setup back on track to generating images that pass the QA size criteria.  I like the colors with NX2 and the control points.  

Not entirely sure how any "compressed" mode can be lossless.

Much easier to buy another couple of cards, and shoot full size ...

Are you a programmer? Of course it is possible to compress data without losing any information - e.g. lossless compressed TIFFs have been around for years and there are numerous programmatic algorithms for lossless compression. Nikons have both lossy and lossless compressed raw options. I've never used the former. Why would they have a lossless option if it wasn't truly lossless? I'm guessing it could lead to lawsuits if they advertised a file format as lossless and it led to data loss.

Just to add a few things.

Nikon say:

Lossless compressed NEF images are compressed using a reversible algorithm, reducing file size by about 20–40% with no effect on image quality.

Uncompressed NEFs from a D800 are around 75MB whereas lossless compressed NEFs are around 45MB. Obviously there is a storage issue here assuming one permanently keeps the raw files (I do) and, given that there is no difference in image quality, it seems pointless generating files that are almost twice the size for no good reason at all. I keep my processed images as PSDs as well as the NEFs so I am not a scrooge in terms of purchasing storage including backups but why produce huge raw files when it is not necessary and has no effect on image quality?

Inspired by this conversation, I decided to see what the difference between lossless compressed and uncompressed NEFs is in speed using high speed continuous mode on my D800E. This is not rigorous science but it does give an idea of what is happening. The buffer allows 16 shots after which it has to start writing to the card. It takes about 18 seconds for the buffer to regenerate to the 16 frames for lossless compressed files and 25 seconds for uncompressed. So if frame rate is important then using uncompressed files is not the way to go - in other words you get about 30% more frames per minute using lossless compressed over uncompressed.

So why not shoot lossless compressed NEFs? I can't think of any reason not to do so - I await further enlightenment.

First thing, get yourself a copy of Adobe Lightroom, or preferably, Adobe Photoshop.  The photo bundle for both is $10 US a month and that's a deal for what you get.  Life is way too short to be putzing around with Nikon software.  

Second thing, turn off the JPG setting on your camera.  The imaging software is using the JPG's instead of the NEF's, and you've probably got it set to a lower resolution version.  Unless you need shots directly out of the camera, you don't need the JPG files and they just confuse things.  By using JPG's, you're basically knee capping your camera.

Archived