Meaning of "JPEG over 17 MB"

Orfeas

Hello there! I'm a new photographer from the Netherlands. I've got a question about the QC. What is meant by "JPEG over 17 MB"? Does it mean I need to uncompress my photos before I upload them, or does it mean the maximum file size is at 17 MB? If I do have to uncompress my photos, are there any services that let you do that for free? 

No, you don't need to uncompress them. And no, the maximum file size is not 17 MB.
I will try to explain you in a simple practical way.
Pick any JPEG image from your computer and open it in Photoshop. In the menu choose Image > Image Size. There you will see Pixel Dimensions: x.xxM (for example 4.82M - insufficient or 18.43 - sufficient). And that's it!

Even better, you can set your Photoshop to display uncompressed size immediately after opening the image with it. It is down there in the bar left positioned value with arrow. Click the arrow and choose the item Document Sizes. It will display uncompressed size. And if you leave the chosen item there before closing, it will stay there next time you open Photoshop.

This way you can check your images before submitting.
If someone knows simpler method - well, write it here please.

i'd just like to point out that Alamy doesn't ask for a "JPEG over 17MB". They say the uncompressed size should be over 17MB and the JPEG is, by definition, compressed. Vast amounts of confusion over this so I took a look at the latest instructions. They are trying hard to be clear...

1. JPEG file size of over 17MB (when uncompressed)
    This is likely to have a compressed JPEG size of 3-5MB. Opening a JPEG in an image program such as Adobe Photoshop will show you the uncompressed (open) file size.

Paulette

spacecadet, I have read first six or seven posts in that topic following your link (too long topic for this morning). Yes, I understand and agree in general. But maybe Orfeas just has no clue about that 17MB thing... I only expect some words like "thank you" or "you solved my problem", just to know he is not some bot wasting our time.

Times are changing, so Alamy does, I guess...

Adorable portfolio you have anyway!

Archived