Something significant has happened with AIM today

I think something has changed markedly today - this afternoon searches are resulting in different images coming up, and more ridiculous images like the one I mentioned on p1 of the "Cape Town" search (young woman balancing a pencil on her upper lip") have gone. Too, the images of mine coming up earlier in the search are different, and my BHZ image has gone from p5 to p3.

Before I say anymore, can anyone else confirm these changes? 

My questions are:

1. Are these real of have I messed up?

2. If they are real, I wonder how long they will last?....

3. Have they actually managed to implement supertags correctly at last?

Any thoughts/comments please!!

Kumar (The Doc one)

There's been some bhz dumping- there are now 29 pages instead of 25 last week- and mine is on the same page as last week, but with more pages I suppose that's an improvement of a few pages. I'll de-super my tag and see what happens.

I have certain searches I do to keep an eye on my image rank and yes, images have moved around.  In one search I have had 5 images on page 1 (this a search for a subject with 35,000 images).  I still have 5 but my top rank is now top row image 4 (it used to be on page 2) and it isn't the one that used to be row 2 first image.  That one has moved to page 3.  I will do some more and see.

Jill

I too can confirm a search engine shake-up.  I don't think it has anything to do with AIM.

I generally see the same trend as before:

Pseudo 1: supertag page 23, tag page 6

Pseudo 2: supertag page 21, tag page 3

Pseudo 3: supertag page 19, tag page 4

The thing is my best pseudo (1) is worse off than my worst pseudo (3).  I don't think the search engine is getting better or smarter.

Plus, I saw a change from yesterday to today in another pseudo 2 image that had a supertag on both days go from page 23 to page 10.  No explanation for that.  Search results are making less and less sense.

The database may still be in motion: I just had a repeat of the issue where one of my images appeared twice (page 3 then again page 9). With that caveat, images I've worked on (reworked the tags) have moved slightly in both directions, but those that were left alone seem to have dropped noticeably.

I wonder whether the Alamy AIM programmers have created an Easter egg in the search engine which allows them to tweak how bhz is treated without affecting anything else. They know it has no use other than to stir up comments on the forum. It's a bit like having a handy ants nest to poke with a stick every now and then when they are in need of a little diversionary amusement

Graham

I too have seen duplicate images of mine show one page apart - then disappear - then appear again.  HAL is losing it.

Today for the first time I have seen an image in my top pseudo land on page 3 with a supertag.  The other image in this pseudo lands on page 21 with a supertag, but page 3 with a tag.

I'm beginning to think I have a better chance of coming up with a unified field theory than solving this.

I was on page 28 last week. Today I'm on page 11.

I have uploaded two sets of news pictures this weekend, so maybe the ranking is also influenced by how active you are.

There's something funny about the current results. Set the bhz to New and have a look at the first three. Note that there's no More underneath the thumbnails. Nor is BHZ in the keywords.

wim

edit: typo

The third one has bhz in the caption.

Perhaps they have added bhz, and although searchable, hasn't been updated to be seen.

Jill

Edited to add:  The bhz only shows up on the hover, does not show up on the zoom.

As I noted, there have been a lot of additions to bhz in the last week, about 4 pages. Now 29 instead of 25 IIRC.

26 pages @ 120

31 pages @ 100

3,081 image currently.
It has been higher: around 3300.
There are some with More than one. -Oops including me.

wim

I'm not getting too excited or too depressed. My uneducated guess is that the search engine will be shuffling the deck / stirring the pot / draining the swamp on a much more regular basis than it used to, which wouldn't be an expected strategy given the vast numbers of images now on Alamy and new ones arriving as we speak.

Archived