Objective vs Subjective

It's been my policy not to use subjective terms like delicious, fabulous, and lovely in my captions or tags. I just did some test searches on All of Alamy and found, to my surprise, many buyers do use them.  :o

I've been under the impression that we should add tags for things we see in an image. We don't see "delicious." 

What do you do, and why?  :unsure:

Don't see 'delicious'? Really? A pic of an apple isn't just an apple. It'll be a 'red' or green' apple, and it may look 'delicious'. A 'beautiful' face... a 'tranquil' view... an 'ugly' building... a 'desirable' car, etc...

What's wrong with subjectivity?

Don't see 'delicious'? Really? A pic of an apple isn't just an apple. It'll be a 'red' or green' apple, and it may look 'delicious'. A 'beautiful' face... a 'tranquil' view... an 'ugly' building... a 'desirable' car, etc...

There are also "Golden Delicious" apples. :)

Allan

Allan

...Which, if I recall, are neither golden nor delicious... :unsure:

It's been my policy not to use subjective terms like delicious, fabulous, and lovely in my captions or tags. I just did some test searches on All of Alamy and found, to my surprise, many buyers do use them.  :o

I've been under the impression that we should add tags for things we see in an image. We don't see "delicious." 

What do you do, and why?  :unsure:

It's up to everyone's personal taste   :)

You may be a bit too strict in your keywording,  Ed.

Allan

...Which, if I recall, are neither golden nor delicious... :unsure:

Nope. Pale and watery.

Photo researchers will sometimes use an exact description of the photograph they are looking for. IE “graveyard”. Other times they will use a concept keyword like “scary”.

Often photo researchers are not sure exactly what they are looking for, so searching on a concept keyword is part of their creative process. Often they will present an editorial meeting with 4 or 5 mockups of a book cover, poster, advertisement etc showing very different images, but all showing the same concept.

Advertising is based on concepts, and advertising pays higher prices.

I try to supertag both description of image contents, and concept.

Here is an example:

Description: Sikh, Tamil. Concept: multiculturism
multiculturalism-tamil-canadian-politici

When in a quandary over which subjective word to use, you can always choose awesome.

I stay away from subjective words (especially "great", "tremendous," and "huge" B) ).  Concepts are another story.

Our new President seems to enjoy using these empty superlatives. I do not.

However, Bill and others have turned my head, and I shall be entering some fabulous, glorious, spectaculor, lovely, and cute keywords in the future.  :wacko:

When in a quandary over which subjective word to use, you can always choose awesome.

I stay away from subjective words (especially "great", "tremendous," and "huge" B) ).  Concepts are another story.

Our new President seems to enjoy using these empty superlatives. I do not.

However, Bill and others have turned my head, and I shall be entering some fabulous, glorious, spectaculor, lovely, and cute keywords in the future.  :wacko:

To be fair, empty superlatives are many politicians' stock-in-trade. Although the present occupant (weekdays only) of the White House definitely wins the prize.

I guess subjective words make sense with some subjects -- e.g. lovely / beautiful / stunning (hate that adjective) sunset, landscape etc. I'd stay away from "beautiful face" or "ugly puss", though.

"amazing sunset" seems to have a lot of fans.

Archived