A Good Sign of A Good Rank

For me one of the best signs of a decent rank is the number of times you see where the buyer just checked 100 images and your's was among them, so obviously you had a first page image.

For the past month I checked and I had 47 pages of searches (I know that is a small number for a lot of you guys, but my average for my port).

Of the 47 pages, there were 17 pages where the buyer just looked at 100 images.  So a total of (at 20 per page) of 940 searches where 340 (1/3rd) were just 100 images, so I know I was on page one for those searches.

I have to say I was surprised that it was 1/3rd of the searches that were just one page.  So it seems getting up there on page 1 is getting more and more important.

I didn't check to see total images for each search, but thought it a good general idea of rank as of course for searches above 100, I could also have been on page 1 as well.

But are buyers looking at less images?  What is your percentage?

Jill

Jill,

Do you have only one Pseudo?

How do you count multiple sessions?

Do you include less than 100 in you 100 score?

wim

I have 2 pseudos, one I keep the wildlife separate as it is not my strong suit.  I only counted the ones that were 100 and only in my main pseudo.  Although I know some may only have had 100 total in the search, I feel it gives a good look into where rank is, as well as what buyers are looking at.

I was surprised that is was over 1/3rd of the searches, which means buyers don't seem to be looking past the first 100 that often.  At least not in my subject areas.

When I go to page 24, which is 1/2 way, I am still only on 200 images per search.

Be interesting to know what others find, especially those with bigger ports than mine.

Jill

Edited to add:  I didn't count multiple sessions as I don't get that many.  So I went back and checked and I had 2 pages of more than 1 session, and a lot of those were minimal imges as well, so the percentage seems to stick.  I may go do an exact count, but only looking for a geneal idea.

I essentially have only one pseudo;

For the past month, (all search numbers at 20 searches per page), 

20 pages of less than 100 images in the search

a further 165 pages of 100 images in the search

a further 205 pages of > 100 images in the search

Ignoring searches where more than one search was done (there are not many); 6% searches had less than 100 images in the search, ie. less than a page of images

42% of the searches had exactly 100 images in the search (ie just one page of images was looked at)

and 52% of searches had over 100 images in the search

Kumar (The Doc one)

Does this give a general consensus that if you are not on the first couple of pages, the odds of being seen are low?

Are buyers viewing less images, or is Alamy right and that their search engine is bringing the correct images for the searches and buyers are less likely to have to go beyond a page or two to find what they are looking for?

I may go back and check October, before the new search engine and before the new AIM and see if there is a difference.

Jill

My 100- view count has increased similarly, from about 3/16 to 1/4. Hmm.

I certainly noticed a difference in views. I went back to last April and looked at them month by month. Up until October I varied between 22-27 pages. And I only added 100 images all year last year, so there were no huge differences. In November I hit 30 pages then December 35 pages. January was 42 pages, February 45 pages and currently 47 pages with adding just over 100 images in February. Sales also. I am at 70% of last years total already.

Jill

sales    views    zooms    CTR     % at 100 or less

Pseudo 01 (431)   12     1,838      21     1.14    44%
Pseudo 02 (27)     7        97       7     7.22    41%
Pseudo 03 (1509)   5     2,899      27     0.93    38%

wim

This is interesting Jill, and something I'd not thought about doing. I looked at my pseudo for underwater images. I've been trying to concentrate on shooting rare or not well represented marine life. Since 26 March I had exactly 10 pages of 20. The first 96 searches were 100 or less. Which is 48%. The first 6 searches had between 3-7 views, the next 4 between 11-15, the next 6 searches were between 22-29. There were 36 search terms where less than 100 images were available. There was a total of 705 views, 9 zooms. CTR 1.28. No reported sales from zooms, but one found online not yet reported.

I have a couple of shots that sold regularly, then they ceased to sell. One was regularly used by the papers, but also sold for use in a calendar - it's one of my better efforts.

I found that a more successful contributor had uploaded very similar images and they were getting the business. Looking at the pictures, there is nothing to choose between them. If I do a Google reverse image search for my photos I find both mine and this other person's shots coming up. I'm not suggesting that this was necessarily deliberate copying of my work, probably just two people taking what they felt was the best view of a given in demand subject. In any event this is a dog eat dog business, copying ideas is commonplace.

However it does show the importance of rank, and/or maybe reputation, in this game.

I was wondering if the "More" button on the images is keeping more buyers on page one.  Or you could get a zoom for an image that actually wasn't viewed or actually on page one, but because the buyer hovered over the 'more' button, saw your other images and picked one of those.  I wonder how those are shown in measures.

Jill

Does this give a general consensus that if you are not on the first couple of pages, the odds of being seen are low?

Are buyers viewing less images, or is Alamy right and that their search engine is bringing the correct images for the searches and buyers are less likely to have to go beyond a page or two to find what they are looking for?

I may go back and check October, before the new search engine and before the new AIM and see if there is a difference.

Jill

Jill,

I think with searches that have exactly 100 views, i.e., one page, if the question is are buyers viewing fewer images or is the search enging providing better results, the answer lies in the number of images that were zoomed of those 100 images. If none were zoomed, the buyer quickly moved on after seeing 100 (high "bounce rate"), however, if one or more images were zoomed, perhaps the buyer found something they liked. I, for one, also see many searches with only 100 views, and no zooms.

Patrick

Jill

Jill,

I think with searches that have exactly 100 views, i.e., one page, if the question is are buyers viewing fewer images or is the search enging providing better results, the answer lies in the number of images that were zoomed of those 100 images. If none were zoomed, the buyer quickly moved on after seeing 100 (high "bounce rate"), however, if one or more images were zoomed, perhaps the buyer found something they liked. I, for one, also see many searches with only 100 views, and no zooms.

Patrick

Most of my sales aren't zoomed.  Many buyers put images in a lightbox and that is not recorded.  It would be great if it was so we would know at least someone had an interest.

Jill

Jill

Jill,

Patrick

Most of my sales aren't zoomed.  Many buyers put images in a lightbox and that is not recorded.  It would be great if it was so we would know at least someone had an interest.

Jill

What I meant was: when you look at your Alamy Measures, there is a column for Total Views and next to it a column for Total Zooms. If the column for Total Views shows 100 and the column for Total Zooms shows 0, this is a high bounce rate. This is a measure we can look at without thinking of our own pictures. It shows the buyer left after seeing 100 images and zooming nothing (or altered their search terms for another search).

Patrick

Jill

Jill,

Patrick

Jill

What I meant was: when you look at your Alamy Measures, there is a column for Total Views and next to it a column for Total Zooms. If the column for Total Views shows 100 and the column for Total Zooms shows 0, this is a high bounce rate. This is a measure we can look at without thinking of our own pictures. It shows the buyer left after seeing 100 images and zooming nothing (or altered their search terms for another search).

Patrick

The fact they zoomed nothing means nothing.  As I said, most sales aren't zoomed.

Jill

Archived