I had a few of those this month:

Country: WorldwideUsage: Presentation or newsletters, Use in a presentation/talk (eg,Powerpoint and Keynote) or in an editorial newsletter.Start: 28 May 2017End: 28 May 2022

Is "presentation or newsletters" the new "personal use"?

Looks like it:

Usage: Presentation or newsletters, Use in a presentation/talk (eg,Powerpoint and Keynote) or in a newsletter.

Start: 26 May 2017

End: 26 May 2022

For the grand sum of $12.56. For 5 years?

I had a few of those this month:

Country: WorldwideUsage: Presentation or newsletters, Use in a presentation/talk (eg,Powerpoint and Keynote) or in an editorial newsletter.Start: 28 May 2017End: 28 May 2022

Is "presentation or newsletters" the new "personal use"?

Looks like it:

Usage: Presentation or newsletters, Use in a presentation/talk (eg,Powerpoint and Keynote) or in a newsletter.

Start: 26 May 2017

End: 26 May 2022

For the grand sum of $12.56. For 5 years?

Yup, 5 years. 12.56 and 10.66 respectively. :-(

Why would anyone what a picture of 4 medicinal capsules in blister pack wrapping for "Personal Use"???  Again, for 5 years.  Only consolation was that the image was RF and I got a whopping $14.11 :unsure:

Why would anyone what a picture of 4 medicinal capsules in blister pack wrapping for "Personal Use"???  Again, for 5 years.  Only consolation was that the image was RF and I got a whopping $14.11 :unsure:

It may be that someone thinks they're getting the actual medicine. That's what was suggested on here when I got one, and it was refunded fairly quickly. However, I also got one last month which hasn't been refunded (or paid for) yet; and another this month - AFTER I'd written in the description 'NB this is a stock photo of medications, NOT a sale of the medication itself'. I only wrote it in English, though.

Really, all my PU sales have been 'not the sort of picture you'd expect to be personal use', but I do Google reverse searches on them from time to time and haven't caught any out so far.

I can imagine a much wider range of images for 'presentations'.

Also, as someone reported earlier in this thread, I've just noticed that I had a file zoomed over the weekend which then sold. Zooms are only supposed to be the best Alamy buyers, and it's a photo someone would only want for personal use if they were in the photo or closely connected with the localised subject matter (though editorially it could have a broader use). Very suspicious indeed, email going to Contributor Services.

• 1 month later...

Same image (stained glass window) sold four times today for personal use: 4 x  $19.99

Has to be a refund in there somewhere; or maybe another sale if buyer is building a virtual church.

Usage: Personal use, Personal prints, cards and gifts. Non-commercial use only, not for resale.
Media: Non-commercial, one time, personal/home use
Start: 05 July 2017
End: 05 July 2022

1 hour ago, Joe said:

Same image (stained glass window) sold four times today for personal use: 4 x  $19.99

Has to be a refund in there somewhere; or maybe another sale if buyer is building a virtual church.

Usage: Personal use, Personal prints, cards and gifts. Non-commercial use only, not for resale.

Had a Personal Use sale, in June, for a stained glass window also.  Sold at even a lower rate than what they have on their price calculator.  Sold for $10.91!

Yes, must be building a virtual church.  

On 7/5/2017 at 16:26, Joe said:

I've had several stained glass personal use sales - I can understand that, they make good greetings cards (depending on the subject). Not so sure about Tory politicians, or images that coincidentally registered zooms the day before.

Finally, some positive news on PU.  I'm sure this isn't a figment of my imagination.  Yesterday checking what had transpired on Net Rev. my heart sunk with sight of a 

PU sale.  Ho hum.

This morning however, in "Sales", I see the same image with a proper license to a magazine for 1 month for twice the PU amount.  

Maybe something is being done.

Heartening!

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, stipe said:

Anyone who opt out for personal use sales?

Yes me. Absolutely. I suspect most, and I mean 99% are not for personal use. There is another thread here on this topic. Also so many are refunded after the image has been downloaded they are then open to abuse. Alamy just sent me an e mail begging me to lift the personal use restriction I have put on my images. They just use it to sell our work on the cheap, or even for free when they refund sales.

23 minutes ago, stipe said:

Anyone who opt out for personal use sales?

Yes, for an archive pseudo as an experiment. Under 2% of my images.

All my few PUs appear genuine, but I'm watching out for unlicensed appearances online.

9 minutes ago, Dyn Llun said:

Alamy just sent me an e mail begging me to lift the personal use restriction I have put on my images. They just use it to sell our work on the cheap, or even for free when they refund sales.

The same happened to me as today I got the same email. I decided to opt out quite a few months ago. No regret about it considering what I read in this post.

1 hour ago, Dyn Llun said:

Yes me. Absolutely. I suspect most, and I mean 99% are not for personal use. There is another thread here on this topic. Also so many are refunded after the image has been downloaded they are then open to abuse. Alamy just sent me an e mail begging me to lift the personal use restriction I have put on my images. They just use it to sell our work on the cheap, or even for free when they refund sales.

Me too, the restriction is staying and if I lose (some PU) sales so be it. Am I bovvered? Nope, pretty much given up on stock. One, maybe two, illustrated articles will earn me more than a year at Alamy (and much less effort).  Its about eight months since I last uploaded anything.

I received the email also but the restrictions are not connected to PU.... the six pictures involved, five of old British Rail locomotives and one with a painting of the Olympic rings have editorial only restrictions placed on them - by Alamy themselves..... :rolleyes: !!

8 minutes ago, Martyn said:

I received the email also but the restrictions are not connected to PU.... the six pictures involved, five of old British Rail locomotives and one with a painting of the Olympic rings have editorial only restrictions placed on them - by Alamy themselves..... :rolleyes: !!

Speaking of which, see your PMs.

It's a little rich Alamy telling us to remove restrictions because images tend not to sell when it is Alamy who advised us to make them editorial only in the first place. That could be a bit confusing for some.

I've been in touch with CR about the email I received today which suggested I remove restrictions from 1477 of my images. When I pointed out they were all unreleased on property and people they conceded I was correct to have the editorial restrictions in place.

I can't help but wonder what less experienced contributors will be making of such communications from Alamy. I also wonder what message it sends to the multitude of contributors with unreleased images (RF and RM) with no editorial restrictions imposed in Image Manager. Does anyone in a senior position check what those who tweet and blog on Alamy's behalf actually publish in Alamy's name?

Archived