When I decided not to allow personal use for my images I asked Alamy to do it for all my images in my port.

They did. Easy. :)

Allan

I want to terminate Personal Use. Can anyone tell me where I do that? April is the month for changes, right? I looked in My Alamy and the contract.

Thank for you help.

Oh my, Ed, you must've gotten one of those cheating PU sales. Stirred the pot, did it? It does tend to get the dander up, and me thinks yours is up.

Betty

HRXKBW.jpg

Pick your poison, Mark . . . so to speak. If you plan to decant, I might suggest that you add just a bit to a container already filed with a good Pomerol or Listrac-Médoc. Frankly, I have trouble telling these two $2.99 reds apart. 

As to the matter of PU, I'm waiting on an update before commenting further. But I'm not upset: It's the stock business, Jake.

I'll drink to that.

Back to Personal Use, Alamy contacted me to say they have deleted a group of my images of street art murals in NYC. They have been contacted by artists' lawyers with regard to copyright, like the National Trust situation. So be it.

So I looked up the 5 sales I had in recent months on one artist, wondering why he would object to free publicity. I found that 4 of the 5 sales were not editorial, as I had thought. They were for PU. Hmm.  Don't think I'll be shooting street murals or signed street art in the future, a shame, and the ones I still have I'm marking no PU. 

Alamy has been very helpful with all this. 

You have quite a few RF images, Edo, and, if I'm not mistaken, they would need to be changed to RM in order to have any restrictions.

It's possible to make bulk changes through Alamy Image Manager. In the upper right, click on Select First 500 Passed.

Then go to Optional and click "Don't sell for personal use including single copy, non-retail wall art prints".

I'm not sure how it handles the conflict with RF, but probably by changing them to RM.

Cheers,

Don

You have quite a few RF images, Edo, and, if I'm not mistaken, they would need to be changed to RM in order to have any restrictions.

It's possible to make bulk changes through Alamy Image Manager. In the upper right, click on Select First 500 Passed.

Then go to Optional and click "Don't sell for personal use including single copy, non-retail wall art prints".

I'm not sure how it handles the conflict with RF, but probably by changing them to RM.

Cheers,

Don

That takes some time to complete once you click the go button. At least it did last time I tried it.

Much quicker if Alamy do it for you.

Allan

I'll drink to that.

Back to Personal Use, Alamy contacted me to say they have deleted a group of my images of street art murals in NYC. They have been contacted by artists' lawyers with regard to copyright, like the National Trust situation. So be it.

So I looked up the 5 sales I had in recent months on one artist, wondering why he would object to free publicity. I found that 4 of the 5 sales were not editorial, as I had thought. They were for PU. Hmm.  Don't think I'll be shooting street murals or signed street art in the future, a shame, and the ones I still have I'm marking no PU. 

That's interesting, Edo. Has anyone else encountered this problem with PU use of images of signed street murals / art?

What should we be doing if we have images like these for sale on Alamy?  I just restrict them to editorial use only, which would be kosher -- no?

Perhaps it's PU that is the real problem. It really doesn't fit well with "stock" photography.

I'll drink to that.

I wouldn't necessarily presume the 5 sales you had was by the artist who complained. It could just as easily be someone who was browsing Alamy and discovered a photo including their work online, and never bought anything.

I had a similar situation about a year ago when a busker, who performs every day in Washington Square Park, contacted me complaining I had stolen his image, or something to that effect. I asked Alamy to remove my images of him but there are still plenty of him on Alamy by other photographers. Go figure.

But I'd like to learn more about Alamy's guidelines for photographing graffiti and what photographers can do to avoid this. If someone tags a street lamp that appears in the photo is that problematic? Would it be an entire street mural or a detail? Maybe photographing graffiti deserves its own thread.

fD

Seems we are mixing two issues here, the fees paid for PU and the liability where street art is concerned.

In fact my PU sales are coming in at about double the UK newspaper rate (and that's excluding the rip off DM deal), so I am staying with the scheme.

Re the legality issue, presumably this is a per country thing, but maybe safer to mark all such images editorial only?

Right, Bryan -- there is more than one issue here. I've had an email from Alamy everyday this week announcing that they have removed certain images of street art. This is the latest:

"We’ve recently seen an increase in the number of complaints we have been receiving from street artists who are copyrighting their work.

We have identified a number high risk street artists who we know are actively chasing copyright infringements of their work.

Where the work of these street artists has been shot with wider context to the image, we have made the decision to add editorial restrictions to the images to help prevent any potential issues.

We have restricted the following image(s) from your collection;

XXX

We don’t want images solely of artwork, as this could be seen as ‘passing off’ the original work, but if you upload any new images of murals taken with wider context to the image (e.g. a street scene), then please make sure they’re restricted for editorial use only."

I don't plan to shoot anymore street art. Too bad; it's been 5% of my sales in the past year. I feel PU has complicated things. PU is not editorial. And I'll probably delete all or most of the street art murals I have now. 

Has anyone else noticed if a 'personal use' sale also shows up as a  zoom just before it was sold?

I was assuming PU sales were to people buying on a one time basis rather than being a regular Alamy client.

THINK this works ....

If you're using Windows, use ctrl A to select all your images, them in AIM click the "Don't Sell for Personal Use" box.
Save.

You can't use ctrl D to deselect, so once you've saved, just close AIM.

Has anyone else noticed if a 'personal use' sale also shows up as a  zoom just before it was sold?

I was assuming PU sales were to people buying on a one time basis rather than being a regular Alamy client.

Yes, I have mentioned this about my last PU sale. I've also pointed it out to Alamy. Still waiting to hear about it.

Gen

Cheers,

Don

In fact most of my collection is RM, Don. I recently changed all my tabletop food shots to RF, and at Alamy's suggestion, more recently, I've tried using RF on other things. That's why you see them on the most recent pages.

Except for anonymous food, I don't feel RF is going to work for me, especially with this PU problem. However, I don't want to be changing directions every other week.  

Yes, I've had that happen not long ago. I think it might have been a legitimate client who wanted an image for personal use along with two images from the same set for editorial use -- i.e. it looks as if the buyer bought one image for PU and two for editorial use (just surmising, though).

Right, Bryan -- there is more than one issue here. I've had an email from Alamy everyday this week announcing that they have removed certain images of street art. This is the latest:

"We’ve recently seen an increase in the number of complaints we have been receiving from street artists who are copyrighting their work.

We have identified a number high risk street artists who we know are actively chasing copyright infringements of their work.

Where the work of these street artists has been shot with wider context to the image, we have made the decision to add editorial restrictions to the images to help prevent any potential issues.

XXX

We don’t want images solely of artwork, as this could be seen as ‘passing off’ the original work, but if you upload any new images of murals taken with wider context to the image (e.g. a street scene), then please make sure they’re restricted for editorial use only."

I don't plan to shoot anymore street art. Too bad; it's been 5% of my sales in the past year. I feel PU has complicated things. PU is not editorial. And I'll probably delete all or most of the street art murals I have now. 

Thanks for sharing this info. I've already made all my street art/murals editorial only. I'll probably now do some deleting as well.

Have only had one issue, not on Alamy but on my own website when an artist contacted me complaining about a photo of her mural (I deleted the image).

XXX

Thanks Edo, seems to me that this should be generally known.

In the first instance I'll mark all of mine as editorial use only and remove them from personal use.

I've had a French sculptor complain about one of my shots, which Alamy then removed.

I would have thought that we were providing free advertising for these people, but clearly they don't see it that way.

Editorial only, of course! But we must also click No PU. 

I expressed the same thought, Bryan: why would artists have a problem with free publicity? I think it's PU they have a real problem with. I'm going to let my thinking settle in before making any changes. 

I just had another sale of a photo of box of medicational tablets as 'personal use'. I guess they think they are buying the actual tablets.

What sort of idiot would buy serious medications at what is apparently a very low price from a website they know nothing about?

Another refund awaited.

Archived