In need of motivation bigtime

I have about 2,000 images for sale on Alamy Stock and another 700 on 'that iPhone App'.

Average sales per month 2015 = 6

Average sales per month 2016 = 7

As of April 24th with one more week to go, 4 sales so far via Alamy Stock for $180 and 1 iPhone sale for $120 gross/ $60 net. 

Everything seems to be perfectly normal for me.

....I find that when I'm seriously demotivated, going out and shooting just for the fun of it and not thinking too much about possible sales can really help. This is not a great business plan, I know, but life is more than money.

I must remember to mention this to my bank manager... ;)  :)

He She won't be listening.

As well as the changes to the search engine there has been an explosion in the number of images available. I suspect that this may be due to the incorporation or sharing of other agencies stock, but that's just a hypothesis. One result of this could be that smaller collections are less likely to do so well in the larger pond.

My year to date has been OK, similar to 2016, although April has been quiet, something I'm putting down to the Easter break. My bhz image dissapeared out of sight for a while, but then bobbed up to nearer the surface recently.

I guess that the market conditions are not getting any better, and that the downwards trend in pricing will continue. I'll continue to submit, but I'm certainly glad that I don't need this income stream for my daily bread.

My sales (and views and zooms) are way down since the December search engine change over.

I'm still testing things and I still can't make sense of search results.  More testing needed...sigh.

But Alamy is certain all is well, and customers are getting what they want.  Apparently not from me.

As well as the changes to the search engine there has been an explosion in the number of images available. I suspect that this may be due to the incorporation or sharing of other agencies stock, but that's just a hypothesis. One result of this could be that smaller collections are less likely to do so well in the larger pond.

My year to date has been OK, similar to 2016, although April has been quiet, something I'm putting down to the Easter break. My bhz image dissapeared out of sight for a while, but then bobbed up to nearer the surface recently.

I guess that the market conditions are not getting any better, and that the downwards trend in pricing will continue. I'll continue to submit, but I'm certainly glad that I don't need this income stream for my daily bread.

Yes, and a mighty explosion it is. What I'm finding is that it is mostly my dependable repeat-sellers that are keeping me afloat, with the occasional sale of a newer image thrown in for good measure. Would love to see more of my unlicensed images being used. However, I think that just continuing to tread water is going to be challenge as the number of images and contributors continues to grow.  I too am blaming the Easter Bunny for the April slump.

I just passed QC for my first submission since February. So now I am in Image Manager hell. What a way to discourage us. I did more in keywording in Lightroom than I used to do but still want to add more. I thought I'd use that nifty new way of selecting two images and clicking on the grey keywords that I want on both images. So I chose an image I uploaded in February with a new one of the same subject. I had only clicked a few new keywords before I got the "You have 50 tags on one of your images" so I couldn't do any more. Of course, it's the older image that is full but the new one could use more. Arrrgh. I guess I should do everything in Lightroom.

Paulette

That is the bugaboo of this system. The worst of all. It is crippling any possibility of making this process speedier. I hope it's on the slate for a future fix. That would be HUGE.

Betty

You can now cut down on the tag count by merging the less important ones. I've used it to depopulate some 50-plus tag sets. But it's not for bulk use.
What I'm finding is this. Image 1 has 45 tags. Image 2 has 45 tags. But image one, although basically similar to image 2, had 6 tags that are different, not used, on image 2. So you click on both as a batch, with the idea of adding (copying) a phrase or two from image 1 to image 2. But image two has 45 tags plus 6 grayed out tags from image 1. The system sees image two as now having 51 tags, and unless you delete some of them, you get the "over" message, and can't click on the desired phrases to add them.

So you fiddle around deciding which of the grayed out tags to delete to get to your goal. You end up giving up in disgust, deselect image 1 and manually add the phrases to image 2.

Same thing with Supertags. If the system had added the old essentials content as supertags different from image 1, you can't get them the way you want because a grayed out supertag counts as a supertag whether you want it to or not.

I think the grayed out tags need to be completely disassociated (not counted by the system) until they are actually clicked on. And if we could undo the supertag designation from the grayed out tags, that would be wonderful.

Of course, I'm speaking of how I work, which is at upload, my images are tagged and captioned already.

If I have two similars in two separate uploads, but want to add a few of the tags from one image to the other, I can seldom do it.

Here is a case for Ed's minimal tagging. If one only has 15-25 tags in any given image, you won't have the problems I've outlined as long as both images share the bulk of the tags, with only a few grayed out tags. But you can still run afoul of the supertags.

Betty

Firstly sorry for the boring negative post i am about to write.

Started growing my Alamy portfolio just over 3 years ago.

Last year had built up to 10/12 sales per month.

Averaged 6,000 monthly view figure and 30 monthly zooms

So far this year,

Monthly average views 1500 - 2,000

Monthly zooms 3

Hence sales less in number this year so far. 

Can things pick up again from here ? Don`t know.

Where did it all go wrong please ?

Depends why you shoot stock - if its your living then just get out there and shoot and keep at it - or try other agencies.

If its not your full time income - them maybe try a change of direction - shoot for print sales or for display locally

I can't even say its the search engine - whilst it has negatively impacted me and many others on this forum - some are saying they have seen no change.

There has been no significant change for me over the last 2 years. still sell 10 to 15 per month although prices are downward. have not uploaded for about 2 years. Never gone back and altered a keyword or title. All my images are orange for visability. CTR stayed at around 0.8 to 1.0 until about april last year then gradually fell to 0.5 by time of new search engine but rose back up to 1,0 and has remained in that region since.

Regen

There has been no significant change for me over the last 2 years. still sell 10 to 15 per month although prices are downward. have not uploaded for about 2 years. Never gone back and altered a keyword or title. All my images are orange for visability. CTR stayed at around 0.8 to 1.0 until about april last year then gradually fell to 0.5 by time of new search engine but rose back up to 1,0 and has remained in that region since.

Regen

I find it interesting that your sales volume has remained steady whilst you havent uploaded in 2 years

I suspect the number of images on alma has more than doubled in the past 2 years - so perhaps you have found an area that hasn't had a huge influx of new images

Whatever you are doing - good to see its working for you

Unless there is a last minute sprint of sales this month will turn out to be my worst for 2 years. What i do find strange is that i have had record highs of zooms

since December, but the increased zoom activity has not translated into an increase in sales.

I had more sales when i had less zooms?? or is there a growth in infringements that we cannot see.

Craig.

Unless there is a last minute sprint of sales this month will turn out to be my worst for 2 years. What i do find strange is that i have had record highs of zooms

since December, but the increased zoom activity has not translated into an increase in sales.

I had more sales when i had less zooms?? or is there a growth in infringements that we cannot see.

Craig.

+1    I have had regular monthly sales for quite some time now.  It's now the 25th of the month and not one sale recorded!

Zooms were the highest I've had over the past few months but are now dropping fast.  This is a sudden change.

John

Sales, revenue and CTR pretty consistent over the last twelve months, with the odd spike for larger than usual fees. I upload a few pics from time to time, but in the tens rather than the hundreds. I seem to have 3 images fully optimised out of roughly 8000.

Alex

I don't feel my uploading rate to Alamy has diminished though entering MI has really put me off - rather than encouraging - the process of tagging. And most recently, with that new horrid cross-hair tool that allows one to merge tags gets in the way so that clicking on what you think is elevating a tag to a Super, actually doesn't register it and one has to click again to make it go blue.

That's my de-motivating factor.

Rgds,

Richard.

With sales this month looking quite dire I certainly need some motivation.  March was bad but, at the moment, April is on course to be the worst month in many years.  Views are way down from what they were before the SE shake-up so if my images are not getting seen they have little chance of selling.  A PU sale for $6.05 (gross) yesterday has NOT helped lift the mood of doom and gloom.  :(

Pearl

Agree with most of the comments so far - views, zooms and most importantly sales substantially down compared with April last year.

Not looking good. Be interesting to hear from more people who feel they are doing better since the changes which began on 5th December, but it probably wont be in this thread!

Kumar (the Doc one)

Firstly sorry for the boring negative post i am about to write.

Started growing my Alamy portfolio just over 3 years ago.

Last year had built up to 10/12 sales per month.

Averaged 6,000 monthly view figure and 30 monthly zooms

So far this year,

Monthly average views 1500 - 2,000

Monthly zooms 3

Hence sales less in number this year so far. 

Can things pick up again from here ? Don`t know.

Where did it all go wrong please ?

Depends why you shoot stock - if its your living then just get out there and shoot and keep at it - or try other agencies.

If its not your full time income - them maybe try a change of direction - shoot for print sales or for display locally

I can't even say its the search engine - whilst it has negatively impacted me and many others on this forum - some are saying they have seen no change.

Trying to make a good solid second business. I know the stock industry isn't what it used to be etc etc From what I`m told by others.

Already sell prints quite well.

But stock, I want to make it work. Plus i only want to work with Alamy. I have enjoyed the past three years very much.

Just not sure what happened from about November last year with views and zooms. 

But it feels like being a kid at the beach when you build a sandcastle... then later someone comes and walks over it !

Best analogy i can come up with  :mellow:

Seems its not just me then feeling the change for 2017.

Be interesting to hear from more people who feel they are doing better since the changes which began on 5th December, but it probably wont be in this thread!

Kumar (the Doc one)

Last year was my most successful year in terms of number of sales since I joined Alamy back in 2004.

However, I cannot draw any conclusions as I have uploaded 3,300+ images in that year alone.

Since December, sales numbers are also up but I get lots of PU so it is not necessarily an indication one way or the other.

One thing I have noticed though is that since the new SE, I get zooms and sales of images uploaded years ago which had never been zoomed or licensed.

Also sales of birds which were my primary sellers have totally dried up. No clue why. 

Gen

Regen

I think it's fair to say that your portfolio is fairly niche therefore a large percentage of sales will be constant to magazines and books. Maybe it is more relevant to the British market that the DMail/Metro have withdrawn their custom and the full effects are now being felt. You wont be affected greatly by that. Even if the fees were small it still kept things ticking over. I'm sure interested in why they went elsewhere. I'm guessing it comes down to money as usual.

For my situation I am going with no Metro, Daily Mail type sales, (15% of sales last year were Daily Mail) a gradual lowering rank because of = less views.less zooms.

Righto, where`s me camera. Better get back there. 

Regen

I think it's fair to say that your portfolio is fairly niche therefore a large percentage of sales will be constant to magazines and books. Maybe it is more relevant to the British market that the DMail/Metro have withdrawn their custom and the full effects are now being felt. You wont be effected greatly by that. Even if the fees were small it still kept things ticking over. I'm sure interested in why they went elsewhere. I'm guessing it comes down to money as usual.

deleted

Archived