Navigating Image Manager and choosing images

Hi,

I hope everyone is well. The new Image Manager is confusing/frustrating me, so I'm reaching out. I'm trying to navigate through my images one at a time to double check the metadata. However, when I try to move to another image, the first image remains selected, then the metadata for both images is displayed. I can only move through the images by choosing 'clear selection'. It's not super efficient.

Does anyone have any suggestions for moving through their images easier?

Thank you for your time.

PR

The only other option is to click on the image that you have selected. It will deselect it.

It's not any quicker but unfortunately, there's no other choice.

Gen

Hi,

I hope everyone is well. The new Image Manager is confusing/frustrating me, so I'm reaching out. I'm trying to navigate through my images one at a time to double check the metadata. However, when I try to move to another image, the first image remains selected, then the metadata for both images is displayed. I can only move through the images by choosing 'clear selection'. It's not super efficient.

Does anyone have any suggestions for moving through their images easier?

Thank you for your time.

PR

Just one of the common problems which have been noted already by other very frustrated contributors regarding the new AIM.

No solution that I know of.

Unfortunately, with this feature, it is all too easy to forget that another image is selected and inadvertently overwrite, for example, the caption. I have done this myself, and recently spotted an image with an incorrect caption sold in a newspaper - possibly as a result of this feature. 

I would much prefer the standard Windows solution of automatic deselection when an alternative is picked, with the option to multi select using the CTRL or SHIFT keys.

Unfortunately, with this feature, it is all too easy to forget that another image is selected and inadvertently overwrite, for example, the caption. I have done this myself, and recently spotted an image with an incorrect caption sold in a newspaper - possibly as a result of this feature. 

I would much prefer the standard Windows solution of automatic deselection when an alternative is picked, with the option to multi select using the CTRL or SHIFT keys.

......too logical!  :huh:

Good for PC. Terrible for touch mobile devices. To be honest I like it the way it is now.

No solution. Just keep eating your fingernails out of frustration like I do. Not that it helps  :wacko:

Cheers,

Philippe

I have no fingernails left so have moved onto toenails. They don't taste as good though.

Geoff.

Come guys - and you too, Betty - why are you always saying disgusting things like chopping of fingers and eating toenails when I'm ..... EATING  :o

Cheers,

Philippe  :wacko:

Do you eat from dawn to dark, Philippe? ;)

Hi - just a quick comment on this.

Different methods of selecting images were tested across a wide range of users, including testing where we filmed testers and recorded the screen actions.

The version that has made it to this release gave the best results across the board. With "standard" UI behavior for selecting images in place, users were continuously deselecting images accidentally. This became frustrating when working across large batches or multiple submissions. Therefore the "clear selection" button was added and the selection method we have in place today was introduced.

This also works well across users accessing the site via touchscreens which are becoming increasingly popular not just through tablets, but through laptops and some desktops.

Flagging images in popular programs such as Lightroom are also selected in this way should you choose to do so.

There will be an adjustment period whilst users get to grips with the new system but please be assured that the current system was put in place after lots of testing between the different options across a wide range of users.

Cheers

Alamy

Good for PC. Terrible for touch mobile devices. To be honest I like it the way it is now.

I personally think it would be bad for mobile devices too. At the moment the IM is terrible for mobile devices anyway, at least for me. On my tablet it's close to unusable unless you're desperate. It is completely unusable on my phone (that has a large screen). A different browser MAY help, I haven't tried yet.

Geoff.

I often work on images on my iPad. Quicker on my computer, but if I'm in front of the television in the evenings, I can multitask. I can fix 10 or so legacy images, which is 10 more than I would normally have done using the computer alone. Win/win.

Betty

Edited to add...Alamy answered as I typed. Verifying exactly what I said. Thank you, Alamy.

It's just a way of working one need getting used to. I have done that. If I forget to deselect an image, it is immediately apparent when I see the grayed out tags on the next selected image.

S

Different methods of selecting images were tested across a wide range of users, including testing where we filmed testers and recorded the screen actions.

The version that has made it to this release gave the best results across the board. With "standard" UI behavior for selecting images in place, users were continuously deselecting images accidentally. This became frustrating when working across large batches or multiple submissions. Therefore the "clear selection" button was added and the selection method we have in place today was introduced.

This also works well across users accessing the site via touchscreens which are becoming increasingly popular not just through tablets, but through laptops and some desktops.

Flagging images in popular programs such as Lightroom are also selected in this way should you choose to do so.

There will be an adjustment period whilst users get to grips with the new system but please be assured that the current system was put in place after lots of testing between the different options across a wide range of users.

Cheers

Alamy

Surely the solution would be to have made the delete option double checkable instead?... AND why are people deleting so often in AIM, shouldn't they not be uploaded in the first place in most cases?

I often work on images on my iPad. Quicker on my computer, but if I'm in front of the television in the evenings, I can multitask. I can fix 10 or so legacy images, which is 10 more than I would normally have done using the computer alone. Win/win.

Betty

Edited to add...Alamy answered as I typed. Verifying exactly what I said. Thank you, Alamy.

It's just a way of working one need getting used to. I have done that. If I forget to deselect an image, it is immediately apparent when I see the grayed out tags on the next selected image.

Betty, do you find on your ipad that the keyboard pops up every time you click on anything on the AIM page? Apart from the screen being too "busy", that's the main problem I've had using my Android tablet. I have to constantly close the keyboard every time I touch anything. On my Android phone it just won't work at all as I can't scroll the page (I think it's related to the page size responsiveness, or lack of it, on the AIM).

Geoff.

Yes, Geoff, the darned keyboard does pop up more than I'd like. I've gotten used to it, though. I guess if you can call me anything, it would be "adaptable ".

S

Cheers

Alamy

Surely the solution would be to have made the delete option double checkable instead?... AND why are people deleting so often in AIM, shouldn't they not be uploaded in the first place in most cases?

De-selecting, not deleting....

S

Cheers

Alamy

De-selecting, not deleting....

I should have gone to Specsavers, thanks Vincent.

Yes I'm getting used to this new system AIM. having much the same problems as have been posted here.

It does beg the question though, 'What was wrong with the old system?'

Richard

Not sure if its the way my screen it set up but when I select an image and go to check the data I can not see the image any more.  Is there a way to zoom the image and have the data on the same screen.  This is my first time using the new system.  Is there a video on using the new system.

Thanks Marvin

Yes I'm getting used to this new system AIM. having much the same problems as have been posted here.

It does beg the question though, 'What was wrong with the old system?'

Richard

Shhh... You're getting in the way of progress. B)

Not sure if its the way my screen it set up but when I select an image and go to check the data I can not see the image any more.  Is there a way to zoom the image and have the data on the same screen.  This is my first time using the new system.  Is there a video on using the new system.

Thanks Marvin

Here's a pdf.

And here's the video.

wim

edit:

As Einstein said: If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough.

And because all of us cannot explain it well enough, it's simply because we do not understand it well enough.

Thanks Marvin

Here's a pdf.

And here's the video.

wim

edit:

As Einstein said: If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough.

And because all of us cannot explain it well enough, it's simply because we do not understand it well enough.

Also... (especially true these days):

“if it works it's obsolete”

-Marshall McLuhan

Archived