This question may have been answered elsewhere.

I have found that after adding a number of Tags to my images in the new Image Manager and picking those that I want as Supertags, I end up with duplicate Tags - one of each category. This appears to be an anomaly of the new tagging procedure.

Should I be deleting the duplicate Tags so that I don't waste the same tag/keyword as a Supertag and as a Tag? If it is an software fault the when is Alamy going to fix it?

Are you adding the tags a second time as a supertag?  Or once you change a tag to a supertag, is AIM duplicating it?  I haven't had that experience, but haven't uploaded in over a month so this could be a new quirk.

Jill

When I make a tag into a supertag I don't end up with any duplicates. Or maybe I don't understand your problem.

It can happen if you work in batches.

Say you have several pictures selected, some have "ABC" as supertag already, some have "ABC" as standard tag.

You want to make "ABC" supertag for all, so click on the star of "ABC" supertag to turn it blue and apply to all. Save.

The standard "ABC" are left behind in addition to supertag "ABC". It happened to me.

And yes, I do delete the unwanted duplicate one.

Gen

When I make a tag into a supertag I don't end up with any duplicates. Or maybe I don't understand your problem.

It can happen if you work in batches.

Say you have several pictures selected, some have "ABC" as supertag already, some have "ABC" as standard tag.

You want to make "ABC" supertag for all, so click on the star of "ABC" supertag to turn it blue and apply to all. Save.

The standard "ABC" are left behind in addition to supertag "ABC". It happened to me.

And yes, I do delete the unwanted duplicate one.

Gen

I see, so it doesn't just happen to regular tagging just when you do batches. Thanks

I guess I misunderstood the problem discussed here. What I mean by duplicate tags is something like this:

[montreal museum of fine arts] [montreal] [museum]

I would delete [montreal] and [museum] because these tags are already in the supertag, and Alamy says that the engine searches within supertags.

Right thing to do or not? Still confused. :unsure:

UPDATE: Here's what Alamy says:

"Our tagging system does not exclude constituent words of a tag from being searched for e.g. “Banff National Park” will still show up for “banff”,”national park” and “park” searches. This also means that “Rhinoceros Beetle” will show up in “Rhinoceros” searches, but the search engine tries to make sure that the beetle image does not appear too high up."

So what happens if I delete the regular tag [montreal] in my example above? It sounds as if my image will be pushed down the page(s) in general search results for "montreal," which would probably not be a good thing.

I guess I misunderstood the problem discussed here. What I mean by duplicate tags is something like this:

I would delete [montreal] and [museum] because these tags are already in the supertag, and Alamy says that the engine searches within supertags.

"Our tagging system does not exclude constituent words of a tag from being searched for e.g. “Banff National Park” will still show up for “banff”,”national park” and “park” searches. This also means that “Rhinoceros Beetle” will show up in “Rhinoceros” searches, but the search engine tries to make sure that the beetle image does not appear too high up."

So what happens if I delete the regular tag [montreal] in my example above? It sounds as if my image will be pushed down the page(s) in general search results for "montreal," which would probably not be a good thing.

That is how I take it John, and it makes perfect sense so to avoid getting views for irrelevant images in your measures.  I put in "toronto"  "toronto ontario"  toronto ontario canada"   Don't want to be pushed down if someone just searches "toronto" and I only have "toronto ontario canada" in my tags.

Jill

That is how I take it John, and it makes perfect sense so to avoid getting views for irrelevant images in your measures.  I put in "toronto"  "toronto ontario"  toronto ontario canada"   Don't want to be pushed down if someone just searches "toronto" and I only have "toronto ontario canada" in my tags.

Jill

I agree with Jill.

Yes it makes sense to me to not have images pushed down -- i.e. I too agree with the ladies (usually a good policy, I've discovered).

This means that a certain amount of duplication seems inevitable. I haven't been as thorough as Jill, though, with my location phrases. Perhaps this is one of the reason all of my images have  " poor discoverability."

Are you adding the tags a second time as a supertag? Or once you change a tag to a supertag, is AIM duplicating it? I haven't had that experience, but haven't uploaded in over a month so this could be a new quirk.

Jill

I have entered a series of Tags but when I click on the star to make them supertags I find that I have a Tag and a Supertag which are identical. It is AIM which is doing the duplication. This may be happening when I am working with several similar images selected together.

To answer other posters, I am not referring to duplicate composite and single word tags (great Britain and Britain). I was referring to identical duplicate Tags /supertags (*Venice and Venice). I do believe this is only happening when I have a Batch of images selected together. In such cases I would expect the one tag across all the batched images to be selected as a Supertag or deselected with no duplicates generated.

When I originally got the AIM upgrade I had lots of duplicate tags and supertags as you guys mentioned but on the whole that seems to have rectified itself fortunately.

Does anyone have a problem with the new AIM messing up images uploaded before the upgrade or is it just me?

I have a shed load that I guess I will have to go through one by one to better the SEO and discoverability.

It's a daunting task

When I originally got the AIM upgrade I had lots of duplicate tags and supertags as you guys mentioned but on the whole that seems to have rectified itself fortunately.

Does anyone have a problem with the new AIM messing up images uploaded before the upgrade or is it just me?

I have a shed load that I guess I will have to go through one by one to better the SEO and discoverability.

It's a daunting task

My old images still have a lot of duplicates left from when I used all three sections of the old Image Manager. Did yours really just disappear or do you mean something else? My problem with them is is that they prevent me from using those images to help with my new keywording.

Paulette

By accident, i just noticed that the tags in Alamy Image Manager are case sensative.. at least when you enter them.

So you can have "spain", "Spain", "sPain", "spAin" all as tags at the same time..

And you could probably have a tag and supertag verison of each too.

I don't see that you would want to do this unless you for some reason think it would gain an advantage somehow.. but then that would probably come under "gaming the system".

But i mention as something to look out for if like me you enter a tag and then 5 minutes later  forget that you already entered it and type it in again with different capitalisation,... you see it accepted and think nothing more of it.. you could be wasting a tag.

Ditto to what Matt above said. I have also added duplicate tags by accident. Looks as though you can have the same tag as supertag and normal tag. 

Could try and see whether it makes a difference in where the search engine places the image with and without duplicate tags. It shouldn't make a difference, but you never know...

Ditto to what Matt above said. I have also added duplicate tags by accident. Looks as though you can have the same tag as supertag and normal tag. 

Could try and see whether it makes a difference in where the search engine places the image with and without duplicate tags. It shouldn't make a difference, but you never know...

I do.  :D   I've posted all my test results on these things before.  :)

Geoff.

Ah I see. Will try and find the thread. 

It's a daunting task

Most of us have had things messed up with the new IM. Duplicates actually help placement though so I wouldn't remove them.

As for discoverability - Don't waste your time adding tags just to make it go green as it won't help your images get seen at all (according to Alamy). Only add relevant words/phrases and no more.

Geoff.

Many thanks for the insight Geoff , bit of a relief to hear this.

One other thing that concerns me though is that only 6 or 7 supertags per image have been picked up by the new AIM and they don't always appear to be the best so I'm guessing it would be beneficial to trawl through images and change these and use the quota of 10?

And and and......one more thing Like Paulette (NYCat) I used the three sections of the old AIM for keywords and now find something like 75 tags on many of the old images yet it is still limited to the 50 in tag list. After checking the image to see how a customer would view it their are still 75 keywords there!

Still find the New AIM to be much better and faster to use. So big thumbs up to Alamy for that.

Antony

P.S. Link to thread Geoff?  :P

Archived