Hi there,

I am new here and have a question about "what is a batch".

Yesterday I did in my eyes 2 batches:

A batch with one picture (which was not taken because of type of the camera). One of my most seen photos (>60.000 seen) at 500px, they didn't accept. Ok. I can accept this.

And later in the evening another batch with photos made with my Nikon D800. 

Alma seems to see it as one batch?! Is this really true?

Now I am in a frozen state, which is also new for me. Why is that?

Regards,

Johannes

Your whole submission - which means all awaiting batches, will fail in case of a failure.

Read the "How to sell Images on Alamy" thoroughly.

http://www.alamy.com/contributor/how-to-sell-images/alamy-quality-control/?section=5

http://www.alamy.com/contributor/how-to-sell-images/guidelines-for-submitting-images/

- and this: http://www.alamy.com/blog/alamy-qc-how-it-works

If you upload a number of images today, it is a batch. If you turn right around and upload again before the first batch clears QC, it is included in the batch. Because if the first upload fails, everything you uploaded afterwards fails with it.

If the first upload is fine, but it has not been through QC and you upload again and there is an image in that second upload that fails, the first upload that was ok will fail with it.

For new contributors who are still finding their way on Alamy, it is best to upload one batch at a time and wait until it clears QC before uploading again. I've been here 10 years and I still do that.

Some contributors who have not had a fail in years may upload again before a batch clears because they can be confident that they carefully submit perfect images. I'm not that confident.

Betty

- so in short: a batch is the number of images you upload in the same upload. If one single image in one of the batches awaiting QC fails -  all images in all awaiting batches will fail. Something most of us have learned to appreciate in our workflow to maintain the quality of images.You will be told which image is the culprit and the reason for the failure.

Hi Niels,

then I do not understand my last rejection: I had 2 uploads: one in the morning, one in the evening. But they where checked together and rejected, because the 1 upload contained a photo which was made with my Panasonic DMC-TZ10, which is not an DSLR. The upload in the evening was not checked separately.

Regards,

Johannes

Hi Niels,

then I do not understand my last rejection: I had 2 uploads: one in the morning, one in the evening. But they where checked together and rejected, because the 1 upload contained a photo which was made with my Panasonic DMC-TZ10, which is not an DSLR. The upload in the evening was not checked separately.

Regards,

Johannes

Hi Johannes,

Not all images are checked by Alamy QC. Only a few images are checked. If you upload several batches that are waiting for QC - you don't know how many images from which batches that will be checked. But Alamy is very good at focusing at, and finding, the weak ones - and also to discover if the camera is not up to the required standard. So again, one fail will fail the rest. Once you are constantly uploading images of the required quality you will be trusted more and checked less. This should give a faster and cheaper QC. And a cheaper QC will probably increase the income to the contributors, though we were not very happy when the contributor share fell from 60% to the present 50% some years ago :unsure:

You don't have to use a dSLR. But do search the Alamy forum for suitable cameras (use google search and include the words - alamy forum - to find some. Many are happy users of the SONY RX100 (mark 2 to 4 and has a 5 arrived?) - which also is my second or third camera. But there are other suitable cameras. Happy searching.

Edited: PS That one failed image will fail all images and the rest of the waiting batches doesn't mean that they are not okay to resubmit to Alamy. But do learn from the fail, and recheck all the rest of the images to see if they are a hundred percent okay before doing so. Always inspect the images at 100% to be sure to spot correct focus / sharpness, purple fringe and spots, etc., etc.

Whenever I have had failed submissions, most of the time it has been because I failed to inspect at 100%. Usually from being tired and missing one.

It's amazing how an image that looks absolutely perfect at normal viewing size will reveal noise, a small dust spot in the sky or a tiny bit of purple fringing at 100%. It's an "Oh, Geez" moment.

Ok, thank you all for the explanation. I have got it now. Sometimes it's hard to figure out the rules for an newbie. The photo which was rejected is technically perfect. But it has only 4000x3000px and it was not shot with a DSLR. The Panasonic DMZ-TZ10 was my first digital camera and preferred because of build-in GPS. My Nikon F90X was still in use but not on travels anymore. Now I have 2 cameras: Nikon D800 and a Sony alpha 7R II, which should fit definitely the quality goals of Alamy.

The photo which was rejected is technically perfect. But it has only 4000x3000px and it was not shot with a DSLR.

4000 x 3000 px isn't a problem. Alamy will accept down to 3000 x 2000. They also accept images from non-DSLRs. But if the camera has too small a sensor or a lens with insufficient quality, then you'll have problems. If it was your image from your Panasonic DMZ-TZ10 that failed, then I suspect Alamy will either have failed it because this camera is unsuitable (it's sensor is too small and the 12x zoom is unlikely to be sharp enough), or because they observed the image had too much noise or was soft or lacking definition (SoLD).

Hello Gervais Montacute
I have several cameras and lenses:
Sony Alpha 7r II
Vario-Tessar® T* FE 24–70 mm F4 ZA OSS
FE 70–200 mm F4 G OSS
Makro G OSS mit FE 90 mm F2.8
Nikon D800
AF Micro NIKKOR 105mm 1:2.8D
AF-S NIKKOR 80–400 MM 1:4,5–5,6G ED VR
AF-S Teleconverter TC-1.4E III
AF NIKKOR 24mm 1:28D 
AF-S NIKKOR 50mm 1:1.8G
Sigma 50mm F1,4 DG HSM | Art

The 105mm and 24mm are now almost 20 years old. I used them on my analog Nikons before I switched to digital bodies.

Regards,

Johannes

Archived