Use Lightroom? Download our 'cheat sheet' to help you through Quality Control.

I never have understood why Photoshop and Lightroom use different shortcuts to view at 100% and fit in screen.

I am forever trying to use the Photoshop shortcuts in Lightroom which has the effect of expanding or minimising panels (the histogram) in Lightroom.

Thanks for a useful little guide. As this is aimed at the less experienced user I'd suggest adding a health warning about the dangers of overusing some of the features, particularly the noise reduction option. I would also like to see some comment on the difference in using Lightroom to process RAW images against processing JPEGS which have come out of the camera; the JPEG will degrade in quality all to easily under heavy-handed processing in Lightroom.

I never have understood why Photoshop and Lightroom use different shortcuts to view at 100% and fit in screen.

And why do they use the term 'Caption' in Lightroom but 'Description' in Photoshop/Bridge for the same field..... :wacko:

Yes the caption thing was new to me.

Presumably there is also a place to insert the caption and description fields for Live News? I currently use PS for the purpose.

Another tip that's very useful is that when looking at 100%, you should do so in the develop module. When doing that, and for example using the spot removal tool (or any tool), holding the space bar while at 100% temporarily disables the tool and allows you to click to drag the image to another part to inspect. Then releasing the space bar enables the tool again. It's a big time-saver when going through the image at 100% to "heal" spots, and also when using the brush to make changes to specific parts (such as removing noise only in the sky).

Geoff.

I've been using LR since the very first version without knowing this!  Great tip - thanks.

Chris

Lightroom is a very intuitive software program to use. Once you get used to it, the whole process is very quick IMO.

I would agree with that second sentence, but coming from PS, I didn't find LR intuitive at all, quite the reverse in fact, particularly the sections associated with the database. I suspect this puts a lot of people off, which is a pity because it is a great tool, once you know how to use it.

I still get in a fix occasionally, probably by pressing a CTRL + key inadvertently and finding my screen greyed out or similar. I generally have to leave the program and restart to restore sanity to the proceedings!

I now use it to process all of my photos (along with PS), but my relationship with the program remains a tad uneasy and I generally feel much happier once in the safe haven of PS.

Another tip that's very useful is that when looking at 100%, you should do so in the develop module. When doing that, and for example using the spot removal tool (or any tool), holding the space bar while at 100% temporarily disables the tool and allows you to click to drag the image to another part to inspect. Then releasing the space bar enables the tool again. It's a big time-saver when going through the image at 100% to "heal" spots, and also when using the brush to make changes to specific parts (such as removing noise only in the sky).

Geoff.

I've been using LR since the very first version without knowing this!  Great tip - thanks.

Chris

The tip also works in PS

Lightroom is a very intuitive software program to use. Once you get used to it, the whole process is very quick IMO.

I would agree with that second sentence, but coming from PS, I didn't find LR intuitive at all, quite the reverse in fact, particularly the sections associated with the database. I suspect this puts a lot of people off, which is a pity because it is a great tool, once you know how to use it.

Yes I will qualify it by saying that I got into using Lightroom at around it's 4th iteration and I remember going through a ton of photographic magazines and many YouTube videos as part of the learning process. I would recommend that to anyone that is going to start using LR for the first time and experimenting a bit as they go. 

Nowadays, the process is very quick per photo, but I wouldn't say I was any kind of LR power user. Depends on what a user wants from an image and how in depth they feel they need to go for the final processed image.

Presumably there is also a place to insert the caption and description fields for Live News? I currently use PS for the purpose.

Headline goes in headline and caption goes in description in library module Bryan.

Headline goes in headline and caption goes in description in library module Bryan.

Thanks Mick

• 2 weeks later...

I subscribe to the LR/PS Cloud set-up, but have given up on LR. I use my own designed image storage system so it is a pain to select images in LR. I just go straight to Camera Raw with my raw files and do things like image distorsion corrections, tone and lulminance there before opening up in PS. Here I might do Auto Tone as well as shadow/highlight and retouching. I will finish off with 100% inspection. For my purposes there is nothing in LR I can't find in Camera Raw.

Archived