Hello,
I just signed up today to be a contributor.
Then, before uploading anything I thought I would just do a bit more reading about what's what... Now I'm worried that my camera might not be allowed or good enough. What I have is a Fuji Finepix S3300. It's 14 megapixels and I had been told (back when I bought it) that it was just like a dslr but more portable/compact. I'm wondering if that was not so much true, and just a way to sell me an expensive camera.

I have photoshop, and so have spent the afternoon looking at some of my older pics at 100% -- and that was not as brilliant as I had hoped. I'm not at all sure of them anymore. Most of them were taken on auto settings though, so tomorrow I'm planning to take some new shots with manual Apeture control, decreased ISO, and increased sharp/hard, which I think might help. I'm seeing more noise and softness than there should be on all but maybe two pics in my files. Does anyone have any other ideas how to tweak up the quality? Or is it just wasting time trying to get something that will be up to snuff with this camera?

I'm obviously not a pro, but I've always been pretty good with a camera -- composition, focus, depth of field, that sort of thing. Right now I'm out of work so I have the time to experiment and try to make this work. It would be great to be able to fine tune my images and have this work out as an income source, but I'm not sure... if my camera isn't good enough to get the quality needed I don't think I can afford a new one right now.

Any tips and pointers most appreciated!
Thanks,
Tobey

Hi Tobey,

Forget about megapixels. What makes a real difference is sensor size. Your camera is 1/2.3'' Type (6.17 x 4.56 mm), far too small for Alamy standards. The minimum I would reccomend is a 1'' size (Sony RX 100 etc.).

All the best,

Sandro

My suggestion: hang about on this forum, learn as much as you can not just about photography but also about the type of images that sell, look carefully at the images at Alamy of those photographers who report a good sales rate, buy a camera that has at least 1 inch type sensor as Sandro suggests (preferably larger), build a collection of images that you think may sell (not just aesthetically pleasing - for each image, you should be able to think of several ways it might be used in a publication) - and then you'll be in a position to decide whether stock is the direction you want your photography to follow and whether it's worth submitting to Alamy. 

Of course there's more to it than that, but this forum can be quite informative. As for a camera, it may be surprising what you can find second hand at a good price that would do the job just fine - a small DSLR from a few years ago, or mirrorless, would do the job. 

You seem a sensible person. Good luck! 

Thanks for the advice. I will lurk and learn. :)

I think the members of this forum will have advice that will point me in the right direction to keep improving. I've read a couple threads now, packed with great answers to questions I also thought of asking. It seems like everyone really tries to help (even though, strictly speaking, you're helping the competition) -- I love that everyone seems willing to mentor the new people. This seems like a really great community and I'm glad I joined.

Out of curiosity, I went and looked at the difference in $ between what my camera cost and what something basic but up to specs would cost... I was surprised to find options that were actually cheaper than what I had paid, but would have had the sensor size and other features to give me the extra quality for stock images. I'm kicking myself a little over what might have been had I known then what I know now. 

I suspect I'm asking a tinderbox question but... I rather liked what I read about the Nikon D600 and it looks like an older model (body only) is about $500. Should I go ahead and add it to my amazon wish list or am I barking up the wrong tree? I know just enough to know I don't know anything. 

I rather liked what I read about the Nikon D600 and it looks like an older model (body only) is about $500. Should I go ahead and add it to my amazon wish list or am I barking up the wrong tree? I know just enough to know I don't know anything. 

The Nikon D600 was recalled due to oil splatter on the sensor. You may want to check to see if it's been refurbished by Nikon before you buy.

It was replaced with the Nikon D610 about three years ago.

fD

1. As per your details it won't be prudent to make any fresh investments on camera gear.
2. Your current camera is 14 MP, whereas Alamy's current image-size requirement is about 6 MP.
3. Image size-reduction from 14 MP to about 6 MP may enhance image quality, to an appreciable degree, provided there isn't much wrong with the initial capture itself, especially as you can't shoot RAW with yr current camera.
5. Please exploit your 1/2.3-inch CCD sensor (with primary color filter) in as much as you can. Click at lowest possible ISO under best possible light conditions, taking very good care for an optimum exposure/levels. Do use a good support - monopod/tripod/wall etc.
6. Process your images MINIMALLY (don't sharpen), taking care to examine EACH image at 100% for sure.
7. Submit. Review the rejections (if any). Improve & submit again.

Best of luck.

Cheers,
Kumar, India

I suspect I'm asking a tinderbox question but... I rather liked what I read about the Nikon D600 and it looks like an older model (body only) is about $500. Should I go ahead and add it to my amazon wish list or am I barking up the wrong tree? I know just enough to know I don't know anything. 

Hi Toby

My wife (also an Alamy contributor) has Nikon D610 & the quality & performance of the camera is excellent. The main difference between the D600 & D610 was a new shutter due to oil contamination on the sensor as as mentioned by fotoDogue.

Once Nikon accepted the oil issue, they offered D600 owners a free shutter upgrade & if you do buy a D600, I suggest that you look for evidence that this has been done. A D600 with an upgraded shutter would be an inexpensive, but excellent quality full frame DSLR. Very suitable for weddings, portraits, landscape, macro & close-up, architecture & travel. It's slightly older focus system perhaps makes it a little less suited for sports or wildlife images.

Archived