Optimised!

spacecadet

Trying to get to 50 tags is quite an interesting exercise, and it can lead to coming up with some useful ones you wouldn't have thought of, but getting there at any cost is counter-productive.

I got a bit carried away at first but the novelty soon wore off.

I started trying to do it because it seemed to be the only way to tell if an uploaded pic had been annotated, as the 'not on sale' statues no longer applies to new images.

Thankfully I've found a better way of doing that with pseudonyms, so I'm happy with 11 tags again

Someone in another thread suggested changing the "good discoverability" threshold to 25 tags from 50 tags.

This sounds like an excellent idea to me as it might discourage newcomers from packing their images with irrelevant keywords / tags.

Nothing else in my life is optimised, so I doubt that it will be happening here either. B)

Spamming newbies that rip off your keywords, including your name, is truly an ill wind.

Totally agree, CR have been trying to get a contributor to remove my name from an image for a few weeks now, as apparently no one at Alamy can do it. It comes up second if I do a search for my name, and as it's a poor image, I've stopped sending prospective clients to view my images, which is what I used to do if I was away from home and could not supply directly.

Spamming newbies that rip off your keywords, including your name, is truly an ill wind.

Totally agree, CR have been trying to get a contributor to remove my name from an image for a few weeks now, as apparently no one at Alamy can do it. It comes up second if I do a search for my name, and as it's a poor image, I've stopped sending prospective clients to view my images, which is what I used to do if I was away from home and could not supply directly.

Why not return the favor?

That'll get his/her attention.

wim

I'm fairly new to Alamy but not to stock photography. I sold my first image here with a few tags and, as do it elsewhere (iStock, Shutterstock, Getty etc.), I prefer as little tags as possible. If, for example, someone is searching for Banff National Park but enters "sky" to the search bar then I don't need that person's business. This, I bet, happens very rarely for I wouldn't have been able to sell any images. I'm from the US and have been selling my images through stock photography agencies since 2006. Alamy seems to be a productive place but nowhere close Shutterstock, as far as my short experience allows me to speak of Alamy. Happy to be here nonetheless.

In that case Alamy should delete that image from their library and tell the contributor why. ;)

Allan

In that case Alamy should delete that image from their library and tell the contributor why. ;)

Allan

Allan, I do wish they'd do something. Corin from CR has been prompt in letting me know that they've have asked the contributor to remove the irrelevant tag, but so far without success obviously. The image still has my name as I write this. I'll be sending yet another email to CR!

Allan

Allan, I do wish they'd do something. Corin from CR has been prompt in letting me know that they've have asked the contributor to remove the irrelevant tag, but so far without success obviously. The image still has my name as I write this. I'll be sending yet another email to CR!

I'm sure copying keywords from other photographers used to be a capital offence on Alamy, resulting is possible ending of the contract. It seems have changed.

Allan

I'm sure copying keywords from other photographers used to be a capital offence on Alamy, resulting is possible ending of the contract. It seems have changed.

Alamy have a whole raft of terms and conditions for both contributors, and buyers of our images, but they seem to be ignoring them.

Would help everyone if Alamy were to read their terms and conditions, memorise them and USE them.

Allan

Allan

Alamy should delete that image and block that lazy idiot from further uploading images 'till he/she reviewed and corrected all captions and tags.

Just my two cents. One can also be .... TOO nice  :angry:

Cheers,

Philippe

That you being TOO nice Philippe? :)

Allan

Allan

Alamy should delete that image and block that lazy idiot from further uploading images 'till he/she reviewed and corrected all captions and tags.

Just my two cents. One can also be .... TOO nice  :angry:

Cheers,

Philippe

That you being TOO nice Philippe? :mellow:

Allan

Hell no! And this - :angry: - is my happy face...... today!

I'd had those parasitizing nitwits shot at dawn if they nicked my keywords. Sorry can't help it! Granddad was a major and "warhorse" in the Belgian army during WWI. Apparently, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree....... Never knew the man, but people say we share the same mind-set.... Not sure if that's a good thing nowadays. People seem so cuddly here  :huh: ................. I'm NOT !

In a bad mood. Spent all day, yesterday, waiting for curlews, snipes and other waders that didn't show up  :angry: What a waste of time ...... and money! Had to pay 30 € for the bl..dy hide  :angry:

Cheers,

Philippe

Whoa!  Sorry Philippe I was just trying to lighten the day. :mellow:

Did not know, how could I, that you had had a bad day yesterday and sorry to hear you had to pay for a hide. :(

Allan. (Treading carefully.)

Just kidding  :P

.............. but had a bad day nonetheless  :unsure:

Cheers,

Philippe

Genuinely sorry about your bad day.

Perhaps better luck next time.

Allan

It's odd that Alamy don't simply edit the tags themselves to remove your name. They have the ability to, so surely it would be a quick and easy thing to do, then send the contributor a warning of some sort?

Geoff.

One of the emails from CR tells me they can't simply remove the tag , here's what they said "We cannot make any changes to an image without permission from the contributor". Also this from another email " We feel sharing and utilising others tags is now commonplace".  The image still has my name in the tags.....seems that the contributor is ignoring the requests from CR to remove it.

It's odd that Alamy don't simply edit the tags themselves to remove your name. They have the ability to, so surely it would be a quick and easy thing to do, then send the contributor a warning of some sort?

Geoff.

One of the emails from CR tells me they can't simply remove the tag , here's what they said "We cannot make any changes to an image without permission from the contributor". Also this from another email " We feel sharing and utilising others tags is now commonplace".  The image still has my name in the tags.....seems that the contributor is ignoring the requests from CR to remove it.

Incredible! Another slap in the face for those who are working their butt off. 

The solution concerning those keyword parasites is simple though: make tags visible for REGISTERED CUSTOMERS only. 

Cheers,

Philippe

I agree Philippe, I'm getting heartily sick of CR being unable to do anything. Having tags swiped is one thing.....but having my name taken is really disgusting! One of my posts regarding this was removed recently, I wonder if this one will be next?

Geoff.

Incredible! Another slap in the face for those who are working their butt off. 

The solution concerning those keyword parasites is simple though: make tags visible for REGISTERED CUSTOMERS only. 

Cheers,

Philippe

I agree Philippe, I'm getting heartily sick of CR being unable to do anything. Having tags swiped is one thing.....but having my name taken is really disgusting! One of my posts regarding this was removed recently, I wonder if this one will be next?

Sent you a private mail. Found out who the lazy nitwit is. Mailed you his Facebook page. Just had to Google the name he uses here.

Cheers,

Philippe

He's Austrian - English isn't his first language, but that's no excuse for wholesale theft.

Archived