Hi folks, I’m a newbie and I’m making some progress. Keywording and tags take much more time than checking QC on my photos. I’m realizing as I go along that I need to take more notes as I go along on trips. I’m so busy concentrating on taking photos that I haven’t taken the time to note down the names of streets etc.  This causes me problems later, particularly if it’s a city I have never been to before. I had noticed that if I have the correct address for a building that discoverability goes way up!

How do you folks tackle this problem?

I have read all of the recent posts on discoverability and most posts say that the "greenies" don't matter but I'd like to see something happen with my photos so I am trying!

​Thanks for all the comments, all of it is grist for the mill.  :rolleyes:

If your images are GPS tagged you can get it from there. Otherwise I'm not sure I'd bother with a street, unless it was important. If I have it i put it in. You could just take a photograph of the street sign for reference, or track it back on google maps later from images you do know the location of.

Since you mention it, this is another post saying discoverability isn't very important if your keywords are tight and relevant. The green bar is just a counter, nothing more.

If I've captioning photos |I've taken on an urban shoot I often have Google street view open at the same time at the location where I was shooting. I often learn more about the subjects I've shot (especially buildings  and businesses) from that than I do from my own images.  Even if it's months since I did the shoot just using Google street view reminds me of many of the details which once upon a time I would have had to note down with pencil and paper as I proceeded. 

Thanks Mark, I never thought of doing the Google street view! That's great and I'll keep it in mind in future. I was working on photos I took in San Francisco years ago and I couldn't remember all the places I had been to. Discoverability seems to be a pain with everyone.

Thanks Joseph, you and Mark have pointed me in the right direction and that will be very useful in future. I was looking at a travel guide to San Francisco to find locations and it's pretty bewildering after a while for someone who has only been there once.... I need to go back!

I just noticed that I am only credited with having two pictures on my post. I'm a newbie but I just passed 500 images last night....I must be wearing my cloak of invisibility. I am going to have to work on that as well it seems! 

Thanks for the advice!  :D

Thanks Joseph, you and Mark have pointed me in the right direction and that will be very useful in future. I was looking at a travel guide to San Francisco to find locations and it's pretty bewildering after a while for someone who has only been there once.... I need to go back!

I just noticed that I am only credited with having two pictures on my post. I'm a newbie but I just passed 500 images last night....I must be wearing my cloak of invisibility. I am going to have to work on that as well it seems! 

Thanks for the advice!  :D

If you log out of the forum and log back in again you should find the figure next to your name updates.

Archived